PDA

View Full Version : Interesting chat at SRS today

Greytop
16th May 2012, 09:38 PM
I popped into SRS at lunch time today to pick up my new 12mm f/2 (I just happened to be passing by ;)).
While there had an interesting chat with Chris who remarked on the the very high level of interest the E-M5 is receiving from many other system users. Apparently many examples of people giving up quite serious gear to switch to this little camera which is very encouraging for Olympus.
While there I had a good look at their black demo unit which exhibited none of paint issues that mine has around the USB/HDMI port.

snaarman
16th May 2012, 09:48 PM
Don't suppose you managed to trousir a spare battery when no-one was looking ...

No, but seriously, I will be interested to see what all these sales do for Oly financially. I wonder if they were expecting this much take up on the E-M5?

Zuiko
16th May 2012, 09:51 PM
I popped into SRS at lunch time today to pick up my new 12mm f/2 (I just happened to be passing by ;)).
While there had an interesting chat with Chris who remarked on the the very high level of interest the E-M5 is receiving from many other system users. Apparently many examples of people giving up quite serious gear to switch to this little camera which is very encouraging for Olympus.
While there I had a good look at their black demo unit which exhibited none of paint issues that mine has around the USB/HDMI port.

Just happened to be passing when there's a new 12mm lens waiting to be picked up......yeah, right! :rolleyes:

It's good to hear that te E-M5 is proving to be a success.

Maybe you could swap your defective silver E-M5 for a black one, then SRS could re-sell it as a secondhand damaged item at a vast discount, I'd take a chance on it if the price was right! :D

Greytop
16th May 2012, 10:25 PM
Don't suppose you managed to trousir a spare battery when no-one was looking ...

Sadly no, that was one of my questions, apparently they are due a batch soon possibly the end of this week. I'm waiting too.

Just happened to be passing when there's a new 12mm lens waiting to be picked up......yeah, right! :rolleyes:

It's good to hear that te E-M5 is proving to be a success.

Maybe you could swap your defective silver E-M5 for a black one, then SRS could re-sell it as a secondhand damaged item at a vast discount, I'd take a chance on it if the price was right! :D

Honest gov... I just phoned them after a meeting this morning to check if they had stock, they did so they put one by for me.
As I was heading back that way to Reading, a slight diversion off the M25, some sandwiches from Sainsburys and a nice chat with the proprieter of the the big boys toy shop :D

davidfarquhar
16th May 2012, 10:45 PM
I'm one of the switchers, off to ebay all my Canon lenses this weekend.. Loving the E-M5

Greytop
16th May 2012, 10:56 PM
I'm one of the switchers, off to ebay all my Canon lenses this weekend.. Loving the E-M5

Well I guess I'm sort of switching too having sold a fair bit of my 4/3rds gear to help fund the E-M5 and some additional m4/3rds lenses.
I'm still keeping my 14-54 Mk2, 12-60, 50-200, and teleconverters though as I'm pretty sure they will give nice results with the E-M5. The 14-54 in particular is a very nice match when the grip is fitted.

Phill D
17th May 2012, 06:10 AM
David I'm sure people here would be very interested in you thoughts and experiences switching from Canon.

Barr1e
17th May 2012, 06:46 AM
David I'm sure people here would be very interested in you thoughts and experiences switching from Canon.

Congrats on your 1000th post Phill D.

Regards. Barr1e

snaarman
17th May 2012, 06:58 AM
The 14-54 in particular is a very nice match when the grip is fitted.

Yes, I agree entirely :)

swing
17th May 2012, 08:51 AM
I'm one of the switchers, off to ebay all my Canon lenses this weekend.
Me too, also coming from Canon. Although my latest lens for my Canon kit was quite new, it was time to refresh the camera, and the lightness of the m4/3 solution appealed. Also, I've always had a vertical grip since moving to digital, so the grip (and the free grip offer) swayed me into the E-M5, and pre-ordering.

Ann1e
17th May 2012, 02:49 PM
As I was heading back that way to Reading, a slight diversion off the M25, some sandwiches from Sainsburys and a nice chat with the proprieter of the the big boys toy shop :D

Well I guess your purchase of sandwiches from Sainsbury's solved your parking problem. :) Very convenient for SRS!

Regards,
Ann1e

Greytop
17th May 2012, 03:04 PM
Well I guess your purchase of sandwiches from Sainsbury's solved your parking problem. :) Very convenient for SRS!

Regards,
Ann1e

Absolutely, very convenient ;)

Jim Ford
17th May 2012, 03:47 PM
If you were hungry and had time, you should have called into L'Artista, a bit further into town. You can get great Italian food there - the best I've ever had.

Jim

Ann1e
17th May 2012, 04:22 PM
If you were hungry and had time, you should have called into L'Artista, a bit further into town. You can get great Italian food there - the best I've ever had.

Jim

Great venue in the summer, Jim, when the front of the restaurant is completely opened up!

Regards,
Ann1e

smartwombat
17th May 2012, 05:47 PM
Oh really?
Which lenses?

brianvickers
17th May 2012, 05:53 PM
I called in for a sandwich at Trafford Centre today...and just picked up a UV filter from Jessops for a new lens I have (doesn't quite sound as good as picking up a 12mm does it!).

Jessops have a Black OM-D demo on their stand and a few boxed units in the stock cabinet.

I have also now switched from Canon. I found the EOS 50D output was not much better than my E-P1 though the latter lacked features of course.

Now I have the OM-D I have sold my 24-105 and 70-200 L lenses on ebay and the auction for my 50D ends tomorrow night. With the cash I have bought a 25mm f1.4 Lumix/leica and a 45mm Oly from a contact on this site. I will order a 12mm as soon as my 50D is sold. I also have a 20mm, 14-42, 40-150 and the 12-50. I go out with one body and two lenses normally so don't carry too much, else I'd be back to where I started.
I'm feeling liberated from the bulk!.....and more creative with lighter gear.

My criteria is acceptability from microstock/libraries and to be able to print for the wall at 18" x 12" and maybe sometimes a bit bigger. m43 ticks those boxes.