PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent fault

Rod Souter
9th June 2008, 09:11 PM
Whilst using my 510 it would seem to be taking a photo but all I ended up with was a black (ie no image) shot.
Looking at the info screen it was showing no shutter speed whilst in aperture priority.
Switch to live view black screen with exposure time of 4min!!
This was with both of the kit lenses. I cleaned the contacts on both camera and body to no avail, however switched on again about 10min later, it worked for 4 frames then back to black.
Using liveview it would show an image but not record anything.
I tried another battery and another CF card same result.
When I got back to the UK I tried various other lenses same result, sometimes it will work, but more often it does not!
All the lenses work with my E1.
Has anybody experienced this?
It is going back to Park Cameras tomorrow.

Rod

Zuiko
9th June 2008, 10:32 PM
Whilst using my 510 it would seem to be taking a photo but all I ended up with was a black (ie no image) shot.
Looking at the info screen it was showing no shutter speed whilst in aperture priority.
Switch to live view black screen with exposure time of 4min!!
This was with both of the kit lenses. I cleaned the contacts on both camera and body to no avail, however switched on again about 10min later, it worked for 4 frames then back to black.
Using liveview it would show an image but not record anything.
I tried another battery and another CF card same result.
When I got back to the UK I tried various other lenses same result, sometimes it will work, but more often it does not!
All the lenses work with my E1.
Has anybody experienced this?
It is going back to Park Cameras tomorrow.

Rod

Sorry to hear this, Rod, I can appreciate how frusrating it must be. I can only guess that either the mirror is sticking and not raising or the image is failing to transmit from the buffer of the card. Has anyone with a better technical knowledge got a better idea?

John

JohnGG
9th June 2008, 10:56 PM
Worryingly, my E-3 did the same for two shots on Saturday :(

I was using it on a tripod with the OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0, RM-CB1 cable and anti-shock of 3 seconds. The camera was set to aperture priority with the lens at about f/11.0 and shutter speed somewhere around 1/4 second. After the two blanks I took out the RM-CB1, switched off anti-shock, opened up the lens and took another shot which was ok. Very strange :confused: :eek:

There was no battery warning and I've taken many shots subsequently on the same batteries (HLD-4 fitted). I have had no further problems with any shots, including using the RM-CB1 and anti-shock but an OM macro lens has been on it the whole time so I need to try it with a digital lens to confirm autofocus and other lens communication is working.

I hope you get a swift resolution to your problem.

Cheers,

JohnGG

Rod Souter
10th June 2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the replies, somehow I don't think that 'swift' is in the Olympus vocabulary. Particularly if it has to go on its summer hols to Portugal:D
I suppose I need to learn how to use my recently purchased E-1:confused:

Rod