PDA

View Full Version : HELP! fn button assignments: can't adjust aperture when selected

theMusicMan
15th May 2012, 12:39 PM
Hi All

Here's a weird issue that i can't remember happening on the E-3, but it is something I noticed immediately on the E-5. This might be because that there are more options vis-a-vis reassigning alternate buttons and what they can do on the E-5 than on the E-3.

Here's my question: I have the focus type button (top, rear, right) reassigned to select one of my MyModes - which is the one I use for a quick set of brackets. So, the MyMode sets the camera to Aperture priority, AEB on, fast frame rate, ISO200 etc etc - but when I press the button to select this mode, I am then unable to amend the Aperture with the front or the rear dial - it simply reverts to the Aperture setting I must have had when I saved the MyMode (which is f5). This is OK if I want to use f5, but there are times when I want to adjust the aperture AND want to adjust the exposure compensation. However, I can't do it with this function and have to revert to putting the camera in the saved MyMode M4 to be able to adjust the aperture. To me, this negates the advantage of having a button to be assigned a 'mode'.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

I know I can amend the functionality of the front and rear dials for each of the main modes [M, A, S, P] etc, and I am wondering when I get back to my hotel room if I should check that they can be amended for each of the MyModes too!

andym
15th May 2012, 01:43 PM
John

I think the only way you can change settings when selecting a My-set with a function button is once the shutter is half pressed which is not easy as you need three hands.
You can select your programmed My-set by pushing the mode button and scrolling along to it in the list.Once you've done that you can carry on changing settings as you like.
Be careful with this though though as it's easy to forget your in a My-set.The best way to tell is look at the SCP where a little ikon with the My-set number will appear on the top LHS.
Others may know better than me but that's my take on it.

Hope this helps.

theMusicMan
15th May 2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks Andy (now with less hair) :)

I guess the other route to explore might be to do with the pressing of a button and it only registering when it is pressed and held down. The moment one takes ones finger off the button, it reverts to the previous mode.

Is there a setting where the button will act as a toggle perhaps i.e. stay on until pressed again?

andym
15th May 2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks Andy (now with less hair) :)

I guess the other route to explore might be to do with the pressing of a button and it only registering when it is pressed and held down. The moment one takes ones finger off the button, it reverts to the previous mode.

Is there a setting where the button will act as a toggle perhaps i.e. stay on until pressed again?

The only one I know is the AEL lock.Now with even less hair as I had it cut to a No1 this morning.

theMusicMan
15th May 2012, 01:57 PM
The only one I know is the AEL lock.Now with even less hair as I had it cut to a No1 this morning.
Hmmm, I think you can assign that as a fn button can't you? I am sure I have this on my E-5 assigned as the 'mode' button and I hold it in and turn the dial to select the mode I want to use. Now... if I swap this one for the one I use for my AEB aperture bracketed 'MyMode4', it might just do what I want... hmmm.... I know what I will be doing when I get back to my hotel room.

Thanks Andy.