PDA

View Full Version : I really don't like posting negative stuff but...

Greytop
13th May 2012, 11:50 PM
Opinions on this will be gratefully received.

Let me start by saying I really like this camera, for me it ticks pretty much all the boxes, I've even been pleasantly surprised with autofocus results with my now remaining core 3/4rds lenses.

This is my second E-M5 body the first had an intermittent and annoying tendency to mess up the image stabilisation to a point that it was worse than switching it off.
That body went back and was exchanged by SRS for one I now have which in operation is perfect in every respect (that's a thumbs up).

However all is not good news as unfortunately this bodies' paint finish hasn't passed muster.
Or at least in one area it hasn't, next to the HDMI / USB connector port paint is very rapidly disappearing from the admittedly relatively sharp and slightly raised edge.
This fault has also been reported by at least one other user on the web so it's not a completely isolated case.

Here are some images...

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab269/Greytop_photos/E-M5%20Paint%20finish%20problem/P5131047.jpg

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab269/Greytop_photos/E-M5%20Paint%20finish%20problem/P5131048.jpg

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab269/Greytop_photos/E-M5%20Paint%20finish%20problem/P5131049.jpg

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab269/Greytop_photos/E-M5%20Paint%20finish%20problem/P5131050.jpg

What do you think, am I being unreasonable to expect a nearly 1K camera to have a more durable finish than this?
The camera is a week old and I have only accessed the USB connector perhaps a dozen times at the very maximum.

My thoughts are:-
a) That this shouldn't happen with a new camera.
b) The paint finish is too thin and not adequately durable.
c) The design is such that the edge is too sharp it would be better if it had a slight radius.

What to do about it? I'm a bit reluctant to bother Chris at SRS with this as he has already kindly exchanged one faulty body.
My other concern is that were Olympus to replace the part under warranty the likelihood is that replacement could be similarly inadequate in it's finish.

Comments welcomed.

Zuiko
14th May 2012, 12:12 AM
That's disappointing, Huw. I agree you would expect a much better standard of finish on a camera costing that much - in fact on a camera of any price. This might be a general problem with the camera which will become increasingly reported as the weeks pass by, or it could be a faulty batch. Either way I'd be inclined to take it up with SRS or Olympus direct.

gregles
14th May 2012, 12:14 AM
Huw,

I have a ten year old guitar, it gets well and truly thrashed on a very regular basis and shows less wear on the finish than your camera does in one week.

Let us know how you get on;)

Greg

Nick Temple-Fry
14th May 2012, 12:23 AM
Well now we know why the silver finish ones are in short supply, Olympus are waiting for the paint to wear off the black ones.

Sorry.

Seriously though I'd register the complaint with Olympus, sounds like a QA failure on a batch of components.

Nick

Ross the fiddler
14th May 2012, 02:14 AM
It may be a batch with paint faults, but I believe it is also a design fault having such a sharp edge where paint is supposed to stay. The silver model is (again I believe) also a powder coat paint & I would be interested to see how that will stand up to keeping paint on that sharp edge. So long as it isn't a general poor paint job with paint coming off everywhere (which might come off internally & onto the sensor), but just this sharp edge, then maybe that is something that should have been done better & it would be difficult to rectify all the units already sold. For myself, if it was only this area, I might be inclined to scrape a slight radius on the edge & retouch (with a brush) instead of further hassles, but I would still report it to SRS & Olympus (before doing it). I remember reading someone elses having paint coming off the hot shoe which maybe stainless steel & that doesn't hold paint well anyhow. Maybe there was a batch without undercoat (I'm half joking really).

I'm really sorry you are having these problems & hope your experience (as to pleasure) with it improves greatly & quickly.

I was having some second thoughts over the weekend, but feel better about it today after talking to a nice young lady at Oly Australia. I was a little concerned about the supplier (having already paid in full), but she reassured me they were good & that they were waiting for stock with all the other Aussie retailers & that there were at present more than 300 back-orders (I'm not sure if that was silver models only or all models) to be filled & growing by the day (with new stock coming in weekly), so I will be waiting to at least the end of this month for mine. :(

jdal
14th May 2012, 08:13 AM
Huw,

That doesn't look very good does it? It's not very nice having your confidence in a new bit of kit take a knock like this. It is a known problem, dpreview has at least one thread on it here (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41175617).

I'd show it to SRS and get them to take it up with Olympus, but keep the body for a while. The aim being to prove your body's missing paint wasn't caused by mis-handling, but allowing you to wait a while for a replacement, later units may have the fault rectified.

Greytop
14th May 2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the comments, they pretty much sum up my feelings.
I've dropped Chris at SRS an email with a brief summary and a link to this thread.

I suspect Olympus are pretty much overwhelmed by the instant success of this little camera and perhaps QA in more than one area may be suffering a little as a result.

Ulfric M Douglas
14th May 2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks for posting about negative issues, it's all useful information.
...That body went back and was exchanged by SRS for one I now have which in operation is perfect in every respect (that's a thumbs up).....
Keep the well-operating-IS example you have, it might be a real good one and better than any replacement.

Ignore the paint problem (I too remember a post on DPReview about the same issue, the OP was even accused of trolling if I recall rightly. :O )

The wierd thing is I'd never have discovered the problem myself since I would never open that flap, I've never opened the USB flaps on any of my cameras, ever.
Can I resist forever? Probably.

Zuiko
14th May 2012, 08:35 AM
It really is in Olympus's best interests to raise this matter, they need to be aware of a problem which could give them a bad reputation for quality.

Ross the fiddler
14th May 2012, 08:55 AM
I've never opened the USB flaps on any of my cameras, ever.
I stuffed my E520 connector, separated the pins so I could still use the camera & taped the flap shut. That's interesting to hear your method in that respect, but now I always download my photos with a card reader (I have to from E520 anyhow :rolleyes:), however, the USB port is necessary to update camera & lenses. Does that mean you've never updated your camera or lenses? :eek: :rolleyes: ;) My last update was on the 70-300 lens this year for Feb 2012 update (done through the E30).

Greytop
14th May 2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks for posting about negative issues, it's all useful information.

Keep the well-operating-IS example you have, it might be a real good one and better than any replacement.

Ignore the paint problem (I too remember a post on DPReview about the same issue, the OP was even accused of trolling if I recall rightly. :O )

The wierd thing is I'd never have discovered the problem myself since I would never open that flap, I've never opened the USB flaps on any of my cameras, ever.

Hi Ulfric, wouldn't you open the flap to transfer images to your PC? I tend to use this method rather than ejecting the card.

Paint coming off a camera after only a few days is pretty hard for me to ignore, were it down to general wear and after a year or so I could accept it but this is clearly a defect in my book.

It really is in Olympus's best interests to raise this matter, they need to be aware of a problem which could give them a bad reputation for quality.

Agreed John *chr

snaarman
14th May 2012, 09:58 AM
Hmm. I have the black version, and I haven't seen this yet, equally I eject the card most of the time.

I tend to agree that this should be reported. While I can relate to an old war horse E-M5 (like a Nikon F from the '70s) with the corners brassed, it's a bit poor on a 1k camera that's only weeks old.

I'm more concerned by the misty EVF thing. I saw an image of one and it certainly ain't right in a splash proof camera. Oly needs to sort these things out quickly or else it will be all over the web.

On the positive side, so far I think it is one monster camera. Almost perfect for me. I just want my grip please :-)

Pete

StephenL
14th May 2012, 03:06 PM
I have the silver version, although it looks to me that the area in question is black on both cameras. Unless it's a different kind of black. Although I've exercised the flap dozens of times to eject the card, mine is showing no signs of wear. Must be very disappointing for you.

bredman
14th May 2012, 03:46 PM
I have the silver, and it looks fine here. Initially I thought that area was plastic.

Greytop
14th May 2012, 04:36 PM
I have the silver version, although it looks to me that the area in question is black on both cameras. Unless it's a different kind of black. Although I've exercised the flap dozens of times to eject the card, mine is showing no signs of wear. Must be very disappointing for you.

Thanks Stephen, yes disappointed is a fair summary :(

Just so that everyone is clear, the defective paint work on mine is on the USB and HDMI connector side as opposed to the SD card door side of the camera.

I'll also add it is good to hear that most peoples cameras are OK which if develops into a trend would suggest it may be QA issue. One thing is for sure though the paint finish is not same robust crinkle black found on the E-5.
Just a shame it seems that I may have picked the short straw twice :confused:

bredman
14th May 2012, 05:57 PM
Huw, apologies for this small tangent, but what strap/attachment are you using there?

Greytop
14th May 2012, 06:13 PM
Huw, apologies for this small tangent, but what strap/attachment are you using there?

No problem Pete, it's the stock strap that comes with the body.

Ulfric M Douglas
14th May 2012, 06:49 PM
I need to answer a couple of questions.
Hi Ulfric, wouldn't you open the flap to transfer images to your PC? I tend to use this method rather than ejecting the card.
I take my card out to transfer stuff.
The USB method risks certain rare problems which aren't worth getting into here, and is limited to computers that know what's on the other end of the cable.

... Does that mean you've never updated your camera or lenses? :eek: :rolleyes: ;) ....
Yes it does. :)

Now I'm guessing I'm in the idiosyncratic minority.

Chevvyf1
14th May 2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks Stephen, yes disappointed is a fair summary :(

Just so that everyone is clear, the defective paint work on mine is on the USB and HDMI connector side as opposed to the SD card door side of the camera.

I'll also add it is good to hear that most peoples cameras are OK which if develops into a trend would suggest it may be QA issue. One thing is for sure though the paint finish is not same robust crinkle black found on the E-5.
Just a shame it seems that I may have picked the short straw twice :confused:

Huw, I just looked at my E-5 which has 40,000 shutter actuation's and I take the card out each time to download to the PC. The E-5 card door area has similar "sharp edge" but mine is like new and I am not over careful with it ! :D

I feel sad for your disappointment - I would be GUTTED :( and I would report this, it is maybe a batch problem. Maybe it was a "batch check" taken of the production line and it got dust on it so the paint/finish did not stick hard to the case!

Greytop
14th May 2012, 09:47 PM
Huw, I just looked at my E-5 which has 40,000 shutter actuation's and I take the card out each time to download to the PC. The E-5 card door area has similar "sharp edge" but mine is like new and I am not over careful with it ! :D

I feel sad for your disappointment - I would be GUTTED :( and I would report this, it is maybe a batch problem. Maybe it was a "batch check" taken of the production line and it got dust on it so the paint/finish did not stick hard to the case!

Thanks Chevvy, a few plausible theories there *chr
It could well be the pick up of contamination prior to being treated with paint.
To me it actually looks like a significant lack of paint thickness (in paint depth terms).

Maranatha
14th May 2012, 10:13 PM
i would contact olympus c what they say ?

Greytop
16th May 2012, 12:40 AM
An update for any interested.
Chris at SRS has forwarded this thread onto his contact at Olympus to see what can be done. He will be in touch as soon as they get back to him.

Phill D
16th May 2012, 05:47 AM
Sounds like SRS are a pretty good retailer from this service. This thread is a pretty good advert for them so far. It seems a bit strange to me that the edge wasn't rounded a bit more in manufacture anyway. Even if the paint usually sticks to it why run the risk. It's got to be more durable with a bit larger radius on it. Mind you looking on the bright side it definitely confirms it's a metal body. Oh and Ulfric I'll join your idiosyncratic minority as I've never updated my camera or lenses either. Never been brave enough, wonder what we are missing?

Chevvyf1
16th May 2012, 07:35 AM
Sounds like SRS are a pretty good retailer from this service. This thread is a pretty good advert for them so far. It seems a bit strange to me that the edge wasn't rounded a bit more in manufacture anyway. Even if the paint usually sticks to it why run the risk. It's got to be more durable with a bit larger radius on it. Mind you looking on the bright side it definitely confirms it's a metal body. Oh and Ulfric I'll join your idiosyncratic minority as I've never updated my camera or lenses either. Never been brave enough, wonder what we are missing?

But for THIS website - I would have saved a fortune ... but not known of, nor bought the E-5; or all the Zuiko glass I have *yes I think its the BEST Advert Olympus could ever get! :D

Zuiko
16th May 2012, 08:10 AM
Given that the E-M5 body is supposed to be built to the same high standards as the E-3/E-5 I'm surprised that Olympus didn't use the same high quality paint finish. No sign of any scratching, peeling, flaking or rubbing on my E-3 despite years of use - some of it quite hard!

Ian
16th May 2012, 10:45 AM
OK - have flagged this thread with Olympus. I'll let you know what they have to say.

Ian

Greytop
16th May 2012, 01:52 PM

SRS are an excellent camera equipment retailer, there is no doubt that customer satisfaction is at the top of Chris Harland's list.

But for THIS website - I would have saved a fortune ... but not known of, nor bought the E-5; or all the Zuiko glass I have *yes I think its the BEST Advert Olympus could ever get! :D

Yes E-System User group is great but not so sure about my recent experiences with Olympus gear :rolleyes:

Given that the E-M5 body is supposed to be built to the same high standards as the E-3/E-5 I'm surprised that Olympus didn't use the same high quality paint finish. No sign of any scratching, peeling, flaking or rubbing on my E-3 despite years of use - some of it quite hard!

Couldn't agree more John, my 'still up for sale E-5' is similarly spotless.

Greytop
16th May 2012, 01:53 PM
OK - have flagged this thread with Olympus. I'll let you know what they have to say.

Ian

Thanks Ian much appreciated, Chris at SRS has also registered the problem with his Olympus contact.

Barr1e
16th May 2012, 01:57 PM
A happy outcome Huw, one hopes. *cameraicon

Regards. Barr1e

Greytop
16th May 2012, 02:01 PM
A happy outcome Huw, one hopes. *cameraicon

Regards. Barr1e

Fingers crossed Barr1e *chr

bredman
16th May 2012, 03:31 PM
Sounds like SRS are a pretty good retailer from this service. This thread is a pretty good advert for them so far. It seems a bit strange to me that the edge wasn't rounded a bit more in manufacture anyway.

I suppose they wanted a 'flush' contact with the rubber cover, to give it a radius would've been awkward. They could have relaxed the angle slightly, i.e. like a chamfer, and redesigned the rubber cover accordingly. As it is, it offers strong integrity on both sides - the metal and the rubber.

This seems to be a paint issue with (some of) the black bodies, i haven't heard of this occurring with the silver bodies (yet).

Ross the fiddler
17th May 2012, 12:38 AM
I suppose they wanted a 'flush' contact with the rubber cover, to give it a radius would've been awkward. They could have relaxed the angle slightly, i.e. like a chamfer, and redesigned the rubber cover accordingly. As it is, it offers strong integrity on both sides - the metal and the rubber.

This seems to be a paint issue with (some of) the black bodies, i haven't heard of this occurring with the silver bodies (yet).

Maybe Huw might be better asking for a silver body replacement, if he likes it (when there are enough to do it). :confused:

cliff
17th May 2012, 01:03 AM
Hope you get it sorted Huw, maybe it will be third time lucky...BTW out of interest what 4/3 lenses have you kept?

Cliff *wave *chr

Greytop
17th May 2012, 12:04 PM
Hope you get it sorted Huw, maybe it will be third time lucky...BTW out of interest what 4/3 lenses have you kept?

Cliff *wave *chr

Thanks Cliff *chr
I'm keeping my 14-54 Mk2, 12-60, 50-200, 50 f/2 and EC-20, EC-14 teleconverters at the moment.

David Morison
17th May 2012, 03:33 PM
Well I have been watching this thread with trepidation, hoping Greytop's EM-5 is a different batch to mine. But NO such luck! Although I have a few marks on the HDMI access area on the other side, above the card flap (which appears to be plastic) the situation is worse:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5173417.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/46750)

I guess it must be putting the camera in and out of the bag plus rubbing on my clothing when I have it on a strap. The strap I use is a swivelling shackle which attaches to a BlackRapid fitment screwed into the tripod mount so it doesn't come into contact with that area. I am emailing Olympus about this.

My E5 is pristine in these areas.

Regards

David

Greytop
17th May 2012, 03:52 PM
Sorry to see this David, again I think a combination of the design and a paint finish that is not of adequate robustness.

David Morison
17th May 2012, 06:00 PM
To save the situation from getting any worse I've covered both areas in thin black insulating tape. You wouldn't be able to detect it if you weren't looking - very neat and of course it can be replaced in a couple of minutes. Not a solution of course, that is up to Olympus, but a tidy stitch in time!

Regards

David

Greytop
31st May 2012, 05:39 PM
A quick update, as far as I know Chris at SRS as not yet had a response from Olympus with regard to the paint quality problem (I wonder if Ian has?).

In any case SRS have once again kindly replaced my E-M5. This one has zero paint issues and fully functioning IBIS :)
*chr SRS

Ian
31st May 2012, 06:14 PM
I have not had an official response - I have no doubt that Olympus are aware of the issue, though.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
31st May 2012, 11:48 PM
A quick update, as far as I know Chris at SRS as not yet had a response from Olympus with regard to the paint quality problem (I wonder if Ian has?).

In any case SRS have once again kindly replaced my E-M5. This one has zero paint issues and fully functioning IBIS :)
*chr SRS

That's good to hear & lets hope your OM-D experience will be all postive from here on.
*chr

The Technician
1st June 2012, 08:01 AM
I hope these are isolated incidents as I am becoming paranoid about mine :o and keep checking it everytime I use it :eek: hopefully over time I will become more sane *pnc

jamsa
1st June 2012, 09:36 AM
Everything gets wear with use , even my wife tells me I dont look the same as when we married 25 yrs ago! :)
Seriously though I think with a more compact size and less hand space it would get more wear with use and it might add character to a lovely camera. The only issue arises when its time to sell it!

Greytop
1st June 2012, 11:44 AM
Everything gets wear with use , even my wife tells me I dont look the same as when we married 25 yrs ago! :)
Seriously though I think with a more compact size and less hand space it would get more wear with use and it might add character to a lovely camera. The only issue arises when its time to sell it!

Agreed but just so long it doesn't start wearing the paint within weeks of being new ;)

Ross the fiddler
1st June 2012, 12:02 PM

Agreed but just so long it doesn't start wearing the paint within a weeks from new ;)

I sell "distressed" (new) violins, so people are essentially buying damaged (on purpose) instruments, just like faded & frayed jeans (new) that command an even higher price than perfect new ones. The answer to your slightly worn camera; grunge it some more & make it even more valuable for resale. ;) :D

Frank N Furter
16th June 2012, 03:48 PM
Mmmn.... The paint on mine has started to wear along the ridges of the top of the EVF "prism". Had no issues at all with my previous E 400/420/3/5 ... so I'm sure the paint must be too "soft". Not sure taking it back to Jacobs is going to be wise....will be contacting Olympus on Monday :-(

drmarkf
17th June 2012, 07:23 PM
I hope these are isolated incidents as I am becoming paranoid about mine :o and keep checking it everytime I use it :eek: hopefully over time I will become more sane *pnc

You and me both - however I've just returned home after a week's holiday in which I used the camera almost every day and racked up over 650 images - no paint issues yet, although there's one minute shiny spot in the middle of the front angle of the USB hatch which I suspect is the result of a localised knock.

I'm going to forget about it for a while and just enjoy the camera: I did a lot of handheld shooting in dimly-lit woodland and also indoors during a friend's son's wedding, and the IS on this thing is simply brilliant :)