PDA

View Full Version : Quick question re: Refurbished lenses.

Pete_Murrell
11th May 2012, 10:20 AM
Hi guys,
I am looking to buy a wide angle lens for landscape and canyon work.
I was checking online and I can get a refurbished 9-18 (the lens that took me so long to decide on between that and 11-22) for $460.
My question is this. Has anyone bought a refurbished lens before? And what does it actually mean? Was there something wrong with the lens originally and they fixed or what?
I can also get a brand new one for $520. Is the 60 extra $ worth the brand new?
Thanks for your help in advance...everyone on these forums are always happy to help.
:)

Graham_of_Rainham
11th May 2012, 11:01 AM
I've bought them when they are from a reputable supplier with a full 12 guarantee. Often they are "returns" from reps, wrong orders, etc., etc..

They will often come in a plane box.

*chr

Pete_Murrell
11th May 2012, 11:13 AM
OK. So not necessarily damaged or faulty lenses that have been fixed.
Thanks for the clear up.
You don't have any problems with your refurbished lenses?

theMusicMan
11th May 2012, 11:16 AM
A good place to purchase second hand lenses is on here or FTU (Ians sister site). People on here tend to look after their lenses, and any that are subsequently sold on here are snatched up.

Take a look in the for sale section or ask for one.

Graham_of_Rainham
11th May 2012, 12:34 PM
OK. So not necessarily damaged or faulty lenses that have been fixed.
Thanks for the clear up.
You don't have any problems with your refurbished lenses?

None at all, it works perfectly, just missing the rear cap and cost 60% of new

jamie allan
11th May 2012, 02:45 PM
Pete,
In the UK the term refurbished can cover a whole host of options. I believe that if a device is sold, taken off the sales premises and then returned unused - ie too big, clashes with the wallpaper etc - it cannot be resold as new. With internet shopping this has become big business as people return items they had sent to them but then didn't fit/didn't like. There are now companies that mail order returned items at discount prices including Argos and PCWorld. The problem is they put everything under the title refurbished and this could mean a repaired item or simply something that the buyer decided he/she didn't want without opening it.
The only advice I'd suggest is the same as Graham - check what warranty is being offered with a refurbished item.

Pete_Murrell
12th May 2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks guys.
I think I have found a bargain on this site here. A guy is selling his 11-22 I can get it for 500 Aussie dollars shipped via exoress post.
Now the only qualm I have is this. After doing some reading I have really taken a liking to 9-18.
Has anybody here used both the 9-18 and 11-22 and can give me some insight.
I can get both for about the same price with 9-19 being brand new and the 11-22 being second hand.
I have to say it's not a terrible pickle to be in because which ever I choose I know I'll be happy.
Thanks again for your help guys.