PDA

View Full Version : eGroup Meetup WALES - South anyone ?

Chevvyf1
10th May 2012, 07:38 AM
I am planning along weekend, so arrive Friday midday and stay 3 nights at a nice B & B and enjoy 4 days, returning home late on Monday :D

Probably 2nd weekend in September - with warm low light (if no sunsets).

As a child I stayed at White Castle near Abergavenny and then in Monk Street, Abergavenny at my Uncle - who was "brushing away" at the soil discovering history - he then started the Museum - all this I wish to re visit as area1 and Raglan Castle.

I would like to visit Tenby as it is so picturesque and in between my first and last areas.

Finally, The Gower Peninsula. I have read a few books about this area of outstanding Natural Beauty - and seen some AWESOME shots from others on here!

So far, this is my researched list :-

Abergavenny
White Castle
Raglan Castle
http://www.abergavenny.org.uk/castles.htm

Tenby
The Esplanade, South Beach

Gower Peninsula
Merthy Mawr, Nr. Brigend
Rhossili Bay

theMusicMan
10th May 2012, 07:53 AM
If you have time, you should also look into taking a trip to Skomer Island. You are almost down that way (Tenby'ish) so it would certainly be worth the visit, though in September all of the Puffins will have left.

If you do venture that far West - there's also the smallest city in the UK - St Davids, with its lovely cathedral. I have had the pleasure to play there (on TV too!!) on several occasions.

Marloes peninsular is also beautiful, as are the Havens - which are way West of the rather ugly oil refinery area of Milford Haven. You could look at Broad Haven, Little Haven and others which are all magnificent. The beaches of South West Wales are just beautiful.

Pendine has 7 miles... yes 7 miles... of glorious beach.

You mentioned the Gower - which is the UK's first area of outstanding natural beauty... don't forget to take in 'three cliffs bay' - the photos you will get from there will be outstanding. Google it!

Further East are the miles of sand dunes at Kenfig Sands, beaches of Ogmore, Southerndown and Dunraven.

The Brecon Beacons could also be worth a trip through as well - let me know if you want to go there as there's so many places worth looking at. Reservoirs, tallest mountain in Southern Britain (Pen-y-fan), bird trails, breathtaking scenery, very remote areas... its all there if you want to pack in a day.

Ystradfellte waterfalls are super too. There's several falls to see on what is roughly a 3-mile walk, and you can actually walk behind one of them - a magnificent 50' waterfall surges right by you. Quite the experience I can tell you.

Castles: Careg Cennen is a beaut!!

How's that for a starter for 10 :)

Chevvyf1
10th May 2012, 08:05 AM
If you have time, you should also look into taking a trip to Skomer Island. You are almost down that way (Tenby'ish) so it would certainly be worth the visit, though in September all of the Puffins will have left.

If you do venture that far West - there's also the smallest city in the UK - St Davids, with its lovely cathedral. I have had the pleasure to play there (on TV too!!) on several occasions.

Marloes peninsular is also beautiful, as are the Havens - which are way West of the rather ugly oil refinery area of Milford Haven. You could look at Broad Haven, Little Haven and others which are all magnificent. The beaches of South West Wales are just beautiful.

Pendine has 7 miles... yes 7 miles... of glorious beach.

You mentioned the Gower - which is the UK's first area of outstanding natural beauty... don't forget to take in 'three cliffs bay' - the photos you will get from there will be outstanding. Google it!

Further East are the miles of sand dunes at Kenfig Sands, beaches of Ogmore, Southerndown and Dunraven.

The Brecon Beacons could also be worth a trip through as well - let me know if you want to go there as there's so many places worth looking at. Reservoirs, tallest mountain in Southern Britain (Pen-y-fan), bird trails, breathtaking scenery, very remote areas... its all there if you want to pack in a day.

Ystradfellte waterfalls are super too. There's several falls to see on what is roughly a 3-mile walk, and you can actually walk behind one of them - a magnificent 50' waterfall surges right by you. Quite the experience I can tell you.

Castles: Careg Cennen is a beaut!!

How's that for a starter for 10 :)

BRILLIANT ! :D:D:D

John YOUR a *****STAR***** - I shall be "Googling" this evening ... and then start planning each day - by time slots ! :eek:

I did spend a lot of time in the Brecons and Black Mountains as a child - grabbed the occasional wild pony for a ride ... lost a few skirts of "frocks" falling out of trees (climbing trees with my cousins Paul and Nick, much to my Aunts annoyance!)

Thank You :D

Jim Ford
10th May 2012, 08:52 AM
If you go to the Gower (highly recommended - I wouldn't bother with the other places mentioned!), call into the Heritage Centre. It now houses the smallest cinema in Wales (but I'm sure I've seen stated that it's the smallest in the U.K.):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/1025516.stm

There was a BBC TV programme about it a couple of years back.

Jim

Chevvyf1
10th May 2012, 09:17 AM
If you go to the Gower (highly recommended - I wouldn't bother with the other places mentioned!), call into the Heritage Centre. It now houses the smallest cinema in Wales (but I'm sure I've seen stated that it's the smallest in the U.K.):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/1025516.stm

There was a BBC TV programme about it a couple of years back.

Jim

Jim Thank You *yes BUT I must do the "... down memory lane ... " trips in Abergavenny ... Tenby is quite beautiful and worth my visit and, its hardly out of the way :D

I shall look at the Heritage Centre this evening - Thanks *chr

theMusicMan
10th May 2012, 09:56 AM
Now now Jim... the Gower is just unbelievably beautiful, but there are many other beautiful areas in Wales too ya know :)

Jim Ford
10th May 2012, 10:31 AM
Now now Jim... the Gower is just unbelievably beautiful, but there are many other beautiful areas in Wales too ya know :)

Yes, but for a long weekend you don't want to spend all your time travelling. As you know, the Gower's compact and easy to get to, which is ideal if you have limited time.

Jim

Benedict
10th May 2012, 10:34 AM
Chevvyfi,if you are visiting for 3 days - I would certainly start narrowing your wish list down somewhat otherwise your may well miss more than you think.

The Gower will take a day all in its own,if you want to visit a few of the bays alone.

Hopefully I will be around in September,so I may well be able to join you - and treat you to a coffee to boot.

cinders
10th May 2012, 10:53 AM
I agree that you need to choose just a couple of areas as you'll waste all your time driving.

Just to whet your appetite and promote Pembrokeshire...
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/935/P8287241.jpg
This is the Green Bridge of Wales - not too far from Tenby.
Also near here is St Govan's Chapel - really tiny and wedged into a cleft halfway down a cliff.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/935/P8277086.jpg
If you get anywhere near St Davids check out the coastline. The is St Non's Bay, but Solva Harbour is fantastic, along with St Davids Cathedral and almost every other bit of the coastline.

It would be good to take the opportunity to have a meet up one day.

theMusicMan
10th May 2012, 10:53 AM
Guys - I am not suggesting that when she is here, chevvyf1 travels at the speed of light and visits all of these places... sheesh!!! I am simply pointing out that there are many places to consider when planning a trip to Wales.

Chevvyf1 already mentioned Abergavenny and Tenby - that's almost the full width of the South Wales coastline. It's up to her where she goes and how much of each place she takes in. Sorry, but I don't really see the point in making comments such as suggesting not to bother with other places when chevvyf1 has yet to make her own mind up.

I am just providing her with a list from which she can choose.

benvendetta
10th May 2012, 11:38 AM
So much to see here, so little time. I am sure that some of us 'locals' would be up for a day or two out in September *yes

Benedict
10th May 2012, 12:20 PM
Guys - I am not suggesting that when she is here, chevvyf1 travels at the speed of light and visits all of these places... sheesh!!! I am simply pointing out that there are many places to consider when planning a trip to Wales.

Chevvyf1 already mentioned Abergavenny and Tenby - that's almost the full width of the South Wales coastline. It's up to her where she goes and how much of each place she takes in. Sorry, but I don't really see the point in making comments such as suggesting not to bother with other places when chevvyf1 has yet to make her own mind up.

I am just providing her with a list from which she can choose.

Hey John - I don't think any of us were suggesting otherwise. We are just suggesting that she would prefer to see our paricular part of the world,I think it might be called as 'aggresively marketing 'your own area.*chr Whatever,Chevvyf1 enjoy your visit down here,always provided the weather doesn't put a dampener on it.

cinders
10th May 2012, 12:24 PM
Whatever,Chevvyf1 enjoy your visit down here,always provided the weather doesn't put a dampener on it.

I certainly hope that the weather is good for this. It can be pretty miserable when we get Welsh rain, but absolutely fantastic ten minutes later when the sun peeks through dramatic clouds. Fingers crossed.

Chevvyf1
10th May 2012, 01:15 PM
Hey ! Guys & Gals - I have planned one trip :D so far :eek: but I may have to take a week or, two long weekends as there is so much to see :D

As for the distance from Abergavenny to Tenby and on to Gower ... I have no idea of time and distance :eek: just a wish list of places to visit in the South of Wales. However, my trusty friends theAA Route Planner and SATNAV will help planning ...

ps my Ducati is very VERY fast esp around bends and up hills and down dales ... :D ... its just the trailer with suitcases and camera kit that slows me down :rolleyes:

theMusicMan
10th May 2012, 01:17 PM
Hey ! Guys & Gals - I have planned one trip :D so far :eek: but I may have to take a week or, two long weekends as there is so much to see :D

As for the distance from Abergavenny to Tenby and on to Gower ... I have no idea of time and distance :eek: just a wish list of places to visit in the South of Wales. However, my trusty friends theAA Route Planner and SATNAV will help planning ...

ps my Ducati is very VERY fast esp around bends and up hills and down dales ... :D ... its just the trailer with suitcases and camera kit that slows me down :rolleyes:

Travel time from Abergavenny to Tenby is about 2.5 hours chevvyf1.

theMusicMan
10th May 2012, 01:53 PM
Hey John - I don't think any of us were suggesting otherwise. We are just suggesting that she would prefer to see our paricular part of the world,I think it might be called as 'aggresively marketing 'your own area.*chr Whatever,Chevvyf1 enjoy your visit down here,always provided the weather doesn't put a dampener on it.
Sure... no problem.

However, I didn't mention my part of the world in my post and besides... I don't really think I would encourage chevvyf1 to visit here... it's not that nice! haha.

Jim Ford
10th May 2012, 05:00 PM
A word of warning if using a Tomtom for navigation:

If you come off the M4 at Cardiff (as I did intentionality) the Tomtom will tell you there is no route between Cardiff and Swansea, in spite of the M4 linking the two!

Jim

cinders
10th May 2012, 11:01 PM

Just watch out for the speed cameras!

Chevvyf1
11th May 2012, 08:49 AM
A word of warning if using a Tomtom for navigation:

If you come off the M4 at Cardiff (as I did intentionality) the Tomtom will tell you there is no route between Cardiff and Swansea, in spite of the M4 linking the two!

Jim

Just watch out for the speed cameras!

Jim, *chr thanks for this tip

Cinders, *chr Joking really ! (I rarely do over the speed limits now:cool: ) as on A roads I can have so much fun with bends and left and right turns/half turns :D

Chevvyf1
6th June 2012, 02:09 PM
Chevvyfi,if you are visiting for 3 days - I would certainly start narrowing your wish list down somewhat otherwise your may well miss more than you think.

The Gower will take a day all in its own,if you want to visit a few of the bays alone.

Hopefully I will be around in September,so I may well be able to join you - and treat you to a coffee to boot.

Benedict, now back from hols and PLANNING South Wales ! :D

I think we shall leave on Thursday evening and stay a night at Abergavvenny, do the White Castle & Raglan then drive on - and stay north of Tenby and parallel to the Gower :eek: tonight I am looking at B&Bs :D

Kennels booked for our dear dogs that weekend :D