PDA

View Full Version : How do you set yours?

snaarman
9th May 2012, 07:09 AM
Just out of interest really. This thing is so configurable I bet we all set ours differently.

Here's a blank to copy and fill in if you want..

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/622/P5091015.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/46281)

How have you customised it and why?

Pete

snaarman
9th May 2012, 07:15 AM
Here's my set up

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/622/P5091015x.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/46282)

Dials: I left the two dials as they come. The E-1 has front dial set as compensation so I left this the same to avoid confusion.

Fn2: I use DoF preview quite a lot, so I put this on the front button. Its just a press rather than a press-and-turn kind of thing. I don't press it when I am pressing the shutter so it seemed the right button for the job. I figure I should be able to reach it when I get the grip.

Red: I don't do video. This is slightly more difficult to press as it is recessed. Fine for ISO, I don't change that frequently.

Fn1: AEL. I must have an AEL button somewhere. I use CW metering and often lock the exposure and recompose.

Right: I set this to drive mode. I don't use this much, but I couldn't find another use that I needed more.

Down: WB select. Note to self: Make a habit of using by grey/white cards at the start of each shoot to set the WB

As to the two buttons on the grip.. Hmm. Dof Preview and AEL I expect.

How's that? Does it make sense? What do you do?

Pete

andym
9th May 2012, 07:23 AM
here we go.

Front control wheel-Exposure compensation
Rear contol wheel Apature
My E5 and E1 are set like this,nearly always shoot A priority apart from M for macro with flash.

Fn1 auto focus,my camera is in manual focus mode 3 so I can manual focus and auto focus without changing settings.This way AEL is on a half press of the shutter.

Fn2 ISO.
Record-magnify although I not sure about this as I like to use the live view histogram overlay which seems to disappear when I use this.

Four way switch I did have set to move the focus point but have now disabled as it was to easy to move when you didn't need to.

Interested in others settings.

andym
9th May 2012, 08:02 AM
Another question,how many shots are you get on 1 charged battery.I went out the other day and shot without changing any settings and minimal chimping and got about 240.
Some days when I've done a lot of fiddling with settings I only get about 60.

All I know is that I need another battery not only for the grip before I'll use it all day.

snaarman
9th May 2012, 08:28 AM
So far I have done a lot of menu diving and the battery doesn't seem to last a long time, 80 shots maybe. Hopefully it will settle down to a few hundred shots once the battery has been cycled. Like you I won't feel happy until I have a spare Olympus battery. Once Hahnel bring one out I will get a second spare..

Pete

Another question,how many shots are you get on 1 charged battery.Some days when I've done a lot of fiddling with settings I only get about 60.

All I know is that I need another battery not only for the grip before I'll use it all day.

StephenL
9th May 2012, 09:47 AM
Here's mine:

Fn1 = get focus - because I generally use manual focus and Fn1 is useful for getting focus in the rough area then I fine-tune it
Fn2 = Multi function, but normally set for Magnify
Video button = Manual focus
4-way controller left as focus point selection
Dials reversed as I find it easier to use the front dial for aperture select.
BFn1 = Get focus
BFn2 = Magnify

Battery life - like Pete, it didn't last long for the first couple of charges as I was (and still am, to a certain extent) diving in and out of menus. But now I'm using the full grip with a second battery, it seems to be lasting forever.

However, despite my first feelings, I may reluctantly remove the vertical part of the grip. It's lovely to use, better than the main camera, but it does make the camera a little bulky, which sort-of defeats the purpose.

Bikie John
9th May 2012, 11:01 AM
I've not set any buttons yet, for two reasons. First, waiting for the grip to see how it affects handling and access to the buttons and wheels. Second, I hate the way that you sometimes lose all the customisations after a firmware upgrade. Of course, I could be well-organised and record them all somewhere but I fear that day might be some way away....

Another question,how many shots are you get on 1 charged battery.I went out the other day and shot without changing any settings and minimal chimping and got about 240.
Some days when I've done a lot of fiddling with settings I only get about 60.

I was rather horrified to get only 89 shots out of the first charge, specially as I didn't think I was doing anything extravagant. Until the spare arrives I will be very nervous about taking it out to do anything important unless the battery is freshly charged - and at least during the conditioning period I don't really want to be recharging it each time from half-full. My understanding is that akthough lithiums don't suffer from the memory effect that NiCds did, doing that reduces its ability to self-calibrate.

As Snaarman says, roll on the Hahnel equivalent (or quite possibly the Hahnel battery with a Hahnel label rather than an Olympus one on it :) ). And with luck we'll get a charging plate for the Hahnel Twin-V Pro charger so we can do 2 at a time and get some sort of indication of the percentage of charge.

Ciao ... John

andym
9th May 2012, 12:28 PM
Record-magnify although I not sure about this as I like to use the live view histogram overlay which seems to disappear when I use this.

I think I've sussed this.You probably all know already about having the magnify function set but here goes.
As I've said I like to have the live-view histogram up all the time.The problem I was having when I pushed the function button for magnify the view would somtimes come up and sometimes not,if I managed to get it to show I could then not get the histogram to show when I returned.
What I think you have to do is double push the function button which will take you the magnified view.When you return you hold down the function button and your back as you were.

Waffle over,hope this helps someone.

Ross the fiddler
9th May 2012, 12:54 PM
here we go.

Front control wheel-Exposure compensation
Rear contol wheel Apature
My E5 and E1 are set like this,nearly always shoot A priority apart from M for macro with flash.

Fn1 auto focus,my camera is in manual focus mode 3 so I can manual focus and auto focus without changing settings.This way AEL is on a half press of the shutter.

Fn2 ISO.

Four way switch I did have set to move the focus point but have now disabled as it was to easy to move when you didn't need to.

Doesn't the Fn2 button allow for Multi-Function where you hold it down to simultaneously rotate the wheel(s) to select the function. That way you can have a selection of functions available? I'm only getting this from reading with no E-M5 to try it on till the end of May, so I'm not sure if that is correct or not.

snaarman
9th May 2012, 12:57 PM
Doesn't the Fn2 button allow for Multi-Function where you hold it down to simultaneously rotate the wheel(s) to select the function. That way you can have a selection of functions available? I'm only getting this from reading with no E-M5 to try it on till the end of May, so I'm not sure if that is correct or not.

Yes and no. I tried this last night and there are "only" 4 or 5 functions you can use, which didn't include what I wanted... :)

Pete

brianvickers
9th May 2012, 03:12 PM
Here's mine

front dial Aperture
rear dial shutter
fn2 magnify
record - MF
fn1 AEL
right drive mode
down ISO

tried out fn2 as multifunction - especially for the tone curve function but didn't seem to have an effect on the EVF view. I think I'd prefer such adjustments in post processing anyway.