PDA

View Full Version : EM-5 jpeg artefact?

David Morison
8th May 2012, 08:18 PM
This is a 100% crop from a EM-5 jpeg, no post processing only cropping. No noise reduction or in camera sharpening. There appears to be a light halo around the bird especially the bill, only minor but annoying none the less, is this an artefact that would only be apparent in jpeg or RAW as well? Taken with the 75-300mm.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5080106.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/46243)

Thanks

David

snaarman
8th May 2012, 09:04 PM
I found this in the EXIF for the picture

Contrast = normal (0)
Saturation = high (2)
Sharpness = hard (2)

Seems to indicate there is actually some sharpening going on...

Pete

David Morison
8th May 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks Pete that is really interesting. It seems that even when I set all the controls to zero there is still something going on which would indicate that the RAW file would not present this artefact?

David

snaarman
9th May 2012, 06:49 AM
Yes, the raw file should be halo free. I set my jpegs to natural, -1 sharpness and Noise filter=Low. Equally I don't usually use jpegs anyway :)

P

Ulfric M Douglas
9th May 2012, 07:41 AM
Definitely a halo, and a black halo for the white wing too, for a complete set.
... No noise reduction or in camera sharpening.
But those are statements, not a list of in-camera Jpeg settings ... which where?
(I suspect there will be NO way of forcing the camera to make un-'optimised' Jpegs, ever since the E-P3 batch of bodies...)

I know my e-410 sharpens Jpegs harshly at sharpening=0, and gets tolerably neutral at Sherpening=-2 which is uninuitive but so Olympus.

David Morison
9th May 2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks, eventually I'll have time to download the Adobe LR 4.1 RC2 so I can use RAW which has always been my preferred recording file. Never been happy with jpegs but forced to use on the EM-5 up to now. I believe the leading edge on the first primary is actually black/dark grey in the Common Tern.

David