PDA

View Full Version : E-5: tips for set-up and use

theMusicMan
8th May 2012, 04:43 PM
Hi All

I have been seeing a few interesting threads that point out useful hints and tips for the new EM-5, so I thought I'd start a similar thread for the E-5 where we can post our hints and tips, and general useful stuff that might not be apparent in the manual.

I love the way you can use any of 4 buttons as the Fn button.

I have the AEL/AFL button set for changing the camera 'Mode' with the front wheel - with a few 'My Modes' set up for the way I like to shoot.

Also... what I particularly like is that I have also set up the 'DoF Preview' button as a one-touch setting for the superb 'Dramatic Tone' filter. Simply set up the camera as you required: mode, ISO, WB, focus, frame rate and make sure you set the picture mode to 'ART10', etc... then programme the button to select this mode when pressed and held in. OK, one has to keep ones finger on the preview button to take a shot... but I have found it useful when taking a series of bracketed shots (My-Mode set to Manual, ISO200, Bracketed, fast frame rate etc) so when I press the Preview button, the camera reverts to 'Aperture Priority' without bracketed enabled. Works a treat. I can try out a series of brackets, then quickly take one single shot using the E5's Dramatic Tone filter to compare.

Benedict
8th May 2012, 05:47 PM
:) John ....... does this mean your mojo is slowly returning? *yes

Chevvyf1
8th May 2012, 06:45 PM
:) John ....... does this mean your mojo is slowly returning? *yes

Sccchhhhhh! we must not push or pull ... as the Beatles said "Let him be" ... :eek:

f4780y
9th May 2012, 07:39 PM
Nice one John. Only had my E5 a week and so still marvelling at the flexibility compared to my 620. Just starting to get to grips with the MySets.
Looking forward to lots more tips!

Pjphoto59
22nd May 2012, 05:48 PM
I have just done a deal that I am very happy with, and now have an almost new E5. What I have done so far is to set it up as far as possible the same as my E620, but obviously there are many other tweaks possible.

I could slog through and make a list of my menu settings if this would help the discussion...

f4780y
3rd June 2012, 06:20 PM
Having only had my E5 for a month or so, I'm still discovering all that it can do, but here is my 2p worth of tip!

Whatever camera I've ever owned, I've always struggled with the most effective configuration for the Fn button. With the E5 I think I've found what's perfect for me!

AF Target Mode
Configuring a "home" AF Target mode in the menu via [cog] > A > […]SET HOME allows you to define an AF Target which you would like to return to as a default. Personally I set this to be the single AF target in the centre of the frame.

You can assign this home mode to the Fn button via [cog] > B > BUTTON FUNCTION > [FN] FUNCTION > […] HP

Now, if you are using an alternative AF Target configuration you can switch back to your home position instantly by pressing Fn.

The full instructions are on P.58 of the E5 manual.

It may not be right for you, but at last I feel like I have a great use for the Fn button, particularly as it lives next door to the AF Target button on the camera!

Hope you enjoy the tip! :D

Pjphoto59
7th June 2012, 07:52 AM
I have had my E5 for a couple of weeks now and I am very pleased with it indeed.

I find that the focus point button and the ability to scroll through the focus points is fine.

I have used the Fn button for the electronic level. One push on the button and I can get the horizons level.

hgranlie
23rd July 2012, 04:27 PM
I have used the Fn button for the electronic level. One push on the button and I can get the horizons level.

I have left the electronic level on at all times. The default implementation in the camera is just brillant: When You point the camera and half-press the shutter-button the camera focuses and sets exposure and it is visible in the viewfinder. BUT after a second the the exposure-compensation-scale is taken over by the level scale. It works like a dream as soon as you get used to it (which didn't take long for me) and for me they don't really get in the way for each other.
In my opinion it is simply an extremely elegant way Oly has done this!

Hans

Pjphoto59
27th July 2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks Hans,

I didn't know that, I will give it a try. I will have to think up something else for the Fn button to do..

Pjphoto59
28th July 2012, 09:02 PM
I have left the electronic level on at all times. The default implementation in the camera is just brillant: When You point the camera and half-press the shutter-button the camera focuses and sets exposure and it is visible in the viewfinder. BUT after a second the the exposure-compensation-scale is taken over by the level scale. It works like a dream as soon as you get used to it (which didn't take long for me) and for me they don't really get in the way for each other.
In my opinion it is simply an extremely elegant way Oly has done this!

Hans

Hans,

I gave this a try and remembered why I chose to use the Fn button for the Level Gauge.

When shooting, I prefer to have the LCD screen turned outwards, but switched off. Very quick to change settings with a push of the Info button.

With the Level Gauge on, the displays are shown on the LCD at all times and I find this annoying/distracting. So back to the LG switched off but activated by the Fn button.

Is there any way to have the LG on but not displayed on the LCD except when using Live View?

hgranlie
29th July 2012, 09:59 AM
Hans,

I gave this a try and remembered why I chose to use the Fn button for the Level Gauge.

When shooting, I prefer to have the LCD screen turned outwards, but switched off. Very quick to change settings with a push of the Info button.

With the Level Gauge on, the displays are shown on the LCD at all times and I find this annoying/distracting. So back to the LG switched off but activated by the Fn button.

Is there any way to have the LG on but not displayed on the LCD except when using Live View?

Hi Peter.

I guess I know what You mean, I do it very similarly. Only, I do not turn off the super control panel. It turns off by itself after a while. It also turns off at half-press of the shutter-button, so not to interfere with you looking into the viewfinder. When after a pause when not shooting it has turned off it turnes on again just by touching (short half-press) the shutter-button. I works for me that way. I can see, that when pressing the info-button when the super control panel is on brings the level-gauge onto the sceen, which I can understand is not practical (allthough you can make it disappear with en estra push of the info-button). I wonder if somewhere in the menus there can be found an option to choose what the info-button brings?

I do not use the level gauge on the screen, only in the viewfinder.

Hans

David M
29th July 2012, 01:49 PM
Unpack camera, charge battery, while the battery is charging attach the quick release plate.

Once the battery is charged insert in camera, set camera to 200ISO, raw, aperture priority and SAF/MF.

Grab lenses and tripod and go take pictures.

RogerMac
29th July 2012, 02:28 PM
Unpack camera, charge battery, while the battery is charging attach the quick release plate.

Once the battery is charged insert in camera, set camera to 200ISO, raw, aperture priority and SAF/MF.

Grab lenses and tripod and go take pictures.

That's approximately how I use mine and it certainly works for me. Must admit though that I usually only use one focus point as I like to keep control

Roger

David M
29th July 2012, 02:36 PM
I forgot single focus point. Maybe because I've been using manual focus almost exclusively for the past 8 months or so.

Pjphoto59
1st August 2012, 06:31 AM
Hi Peter.

I guess I know what You mean, I do it very similarly. Only, I do not turn off the super control panel. It turns off by itself after a while.
Hans

Hans,

My problem is not the super control panel but with the level gauge displays.

They do not display when the super control panel is on, but do display on the otherwise blank screen at all other times.

What I would like is the display in the viewfinder and in live view but not on the rear screen.

Have you found a way to do this?

hgranlie
1st August 2012, 02:44 PM
What I would like is the display in the viewfinder and in live view but not on the rear screen.

Have you found a way to do this?

No - and yes (sort of).

When You switch on the rear screen with the info-button you can toggle between off/super control panel/level gauge. I let it stay on with supercontrol panel, which automatically switches off as I described in my last post. I do not think there is any other way.

Hans

Pjphoto59
1st August 2012, 06:06 PM
Hans,

Thanks for that, but there is even better....

All you do to get rid of the level gauges is to press the info button again. It scrolls through super control panel/level gauge/ blank....

Now that is sorted I have still to decide what to use the Fn button for. On the E620 I use it for custom WB but this seems unnecessary on the E5 because the AWB is so good. I think I will use it to home the focus point on the centre spot which I usually use. Then I can use the [...] button to choose another point, then Fn to return to centre.

TonyJr
15th June 2013, 04:38 PM
Just a thought - can the Fn button be set for IS?

hgranlie
15th June 2013, 04:54 PM
Just a thought - can the Fn button be set for IS?

Thats what it is in my camera - I find it very convenient that way.

Hans