PDA

View Full Version : The long and winding road

shirley
7th June 2008, 04:54 PM
I took this on the Dunstable Downs earlier today, using my new 12-60. I think it looks a bit flat, maybe down to compression, maybe down to poor editing:mad:.
I will probably be uploading more later*zzz!!
Any coments gratefully received. Thank you

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/508/Long_and_winding_road_resize.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6012)

Well here goes, another one, that didnt take long did it?!!

This is called 'If you dont tell them where I am they wont find me'

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/If-you-dont-tell-them-where.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6014)

Jim Ford
7th June 2008, 05:24 PM
I haven't been to Dunstable Downs for a couple of years. It looks horrendous what they've done with the path!

Jim

Zuiko
7th June 2008, 06:57 PM
I think your Long and Winding Road picture looks flat because the light was flat and did not suit this type of vista. There's virtually nothing you can do in this type of situation, except plan to return on a better day or concentrate on subjects closer to the camera that will benefit from soft light.

Soft light is brilliant for outdoor portraiture, flower photography, waterfalls and woodland scenes - all of which can suffer badly from harsh shadows and excessive contrast in bright sunshine.

Look at how much more successful your dog picture is. The main subject is close to the camera and, much the same as a person would be, is flattered by the soft light. The dreary sky is completely excluded in this shot and the distant fields in the murky background serve no importance other than to provide a neutral and non distracting backdrop to the two walkers, looking back to see where their little terrier is.

Hope this helps,

John

shirley
7th June 2008, 08:05 PM
Yes, I think a return when there is better light would be a good idea. Apparently tomorrow is forecast to be quite good! Its just that I had my new toy (lens) and I couldnt wait. In fact my husband and I had had a conversation when i returned along the lines that I should have been out at 6.00am when the light was really good!!
I really appreciate your input John, it is always inciteful and helpful.
I tend to post pics I am unsure about, or even dont like, to get this sort of critique.
Thank you

Zuiko
7th June 2008, 10:11 PM
Yes, I think a return when there is better light would be a good idea. Apparently tomorrow is forecast to be quite good! Its just that I had my new toy (lens) and I couldnt wait. In fact my husband and I had had a conversation when i returned along the lines that I should have been out at 6.00am when the light was really good!!
I really appreciate your input John, it is always inciteful and helpful.
I tend to post pics I am unsure about, or even dont like, to get this sort of critique. Thank you

Yes, and there's good reasoning for that as it is a valuable learning exercise, but don't forget to post some of your top drawer stuff as well - it would have been a real shame if we'd missed out on your selectively coloured "Off The Wall," for example!

shirley
8th June 2008, 07:22 PM
Went back today. It is a slightly different angle and crop but I think it has a bit more oomph.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/508/medium/Long-and-winding-road-2.jpg

Zuiko
8th June 2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Shirley,

Yes, the sunshine has provided more contrast and lifted the greens but what about the sky? There's not much you could do about it at that time of day (within 2 hours either side of noon I'd say) but this type of vista is crying out for early moring or eveing light, before 8am or after 8pm at this time of year.

Then, on the right day you'd get softer, but fresher and warmer toned sunlight raking across the scene, casting longer shadows and giving greater definition to each of the many trees and bushes.

Consider also the time of year. About a month ago the greens would have looked so much fresher and in the autum this scene should explode with colour. but the best time of year will also very much depend on the angle of the sun early and late in the day. When assessing a new location I always take a compass and a sunrise/sunset chart to help me decide when I should return.

I like the composition, with the meandering and undulating track leading right through the picture from right to left and this location has great potential. Look upon what you've done so far as work in progress.

John

shirley
9th June 2008, 07:01 AM
Hi John,
Your detailed critique is very helpful. Thank you.
I took this at 6.30pm and the sky behind me, towards the sun, was beautiful- lots of blue with clouds- but of course where I was looking, nothing!
What I would really like to do is go back at sunset, thats for another day. Also I was trying out my new lens and I had only taken the one lens with me to make me use it, I think this shot would be better with a telephoto rather than a wide angle. As you say a work in progress.
This spot is only 5mins drive from my house so I can easily go back, the only problem is the cost of parking! I am determined to get some really good shots of my local area this summer.
Shirley

Jim Ford
9th June 2008, 07:58 AM
I am determined to get some really good shots of my local area this summer.
Shirley

Don't forget the orchids at Tottenhoe Knolls, then!

Jim

HughofBardfield
9th June 2008, 08:08 AM
I wonder if a B&W conversion might do it more justice?

I prefer the first one as a composition because of the people, but definitely worth persevering and returning as John suggests!

Zuiko
9th June 2008, 06:27 PM
Hi John,
Your detailed critique is very helpful. Thank you.
I took this at 6.30pm and the sky behind me, towards the sun, was beautiful- lots of blue with clouds- but of course where I was looking, nothing!
What I would really like to do is go back at sunset, thats for another day. Also I was trying out my new lens and I had only taken the one lens with me to make me use it, I think this shot would be better with a telephoto rather than a wide angle. As you say a work in progress.
This spot is only 5mins drive from my house so I can easily go back, the only problem is the cost of parking! I am determined to get some really good shots of my local area this summer.
Shirley

Ah, I'd thought it was earlier in the day judging by the length of the shadows. In that case you are right, it needs either sunset or early morning at this time of year. Whether there will be enough people to add a focal point is another matter! Or you could wait and use side light between about 3 and 4pm around the end of October/early November. Judging from your picture the light should be comming from the left around that time, giving the autumn colours some nice oblique illumination.

John