PDA

View Full Version : Dirty sensor on EM5

Westy
7th May 2012, 11:59 AM
The EM5 arrived Friday but due to other commitments and charging the battery didn't get a look in till Saturday late. Just nipped down the road to take a couple of pictures before it got to dark, but on downloading and viewing the pics on the computer there is a spot on all the pictures in the top left corner. It is either dust or some oil /lubricant from manufacture. Luckily I had a single wet dust remover left over from cleaning my E3 last year. With more than a little trepidation I decided to go ahead and clean the sensor. Its one thing cleaning the sensor on a camera that's a few years old and one that is a few hours old. To cut along story short all seems to have gone well and the mark seems to have disappeared.Will know for definite over the coming days as the camera gets more use in varying conditions. Other than this problem I am more than satisfied with the EM5, it will take a while to get all the settings to my liking the amount of customisation is unbelievable.First picture with the spot the second was taken Sunday of my nephew at a spring fair.

Ross the fiddler
7th May 2012, 12:57 PM
That dust spot might have blown off with a blower & I would imagine (not owning a mirrorless model yet) that the PENs & OM-D are more susceptable to dust entering as their shutter is normally open, but on the other hand, it would be much more accessable for cleaning with it being much shallower depth wise & no risk of the shutter closing in the middle of a clean. That's the more risky thing with the DSLR's (again, that's something I haven't done yet, except with a blower only) & what I would be more nervous about.

Westy
7th May 2012, 01:53 PM
I did actually try a blower first but with no success. When I tried a blower on my E3 last year it actually made things worse, I think a blower has a tendency to dislodge other dust particles within the camera body that the dust reduction system has trapped.
Yes you are correct it is easier to get at the sensor on M4/3rds cameras although in over a year I've never got any dust on my EPL-2 sensor. I am leading more and more to it being lubricant from the manufacturing process as apart from fitting the kit lens when the camera arrived the lens had not been removed. Defiantly there from new. I used VisibleDust Vswab 16mm 1.6x size wet swab, excellent product bought at SRS but available elsewhere. Very easy to do once you've plucked up the courage, like all things the more you do it the easier it becomes.
http://www.visibledust.com/page.php?videos=wet&vswabs=1

This is only the seconds time I've had to clean the sensor on an Olympus camera in 5 years & with 4 cameras. Which just goes to show how good the Olympus dust capturing system is, just ask a Can/Nikon owner.:D

dko22
7th May 2012, 09:16 PM
This is only the seconds time I've had to clean the sensor on an Olympus camera in 5 years & with 4 cameras. Which just goes to show how good the Olympus dust capturing system is, just ask a Can/Nikon owner.:D

I was a D200 and D700 owner until a couple of years ago and the latter in particular was a total nightmare for dust. In nearly three years of fourthirds/m43 cameras, I haven't once seen a dust spot. If there was a mark on the sensor on a new camera, I would probably return it or at least immediately report it if it persisted after a day or two as there are probably still lots of lubricants sitting around.

David