PDA

View Full Version : Late to the party

f4780y
5th May 2012, 09:08 PM
Hey guys, long time lurker here :)

Just wanted to say, my E-5 arrived today (12 hours ago) and I've spent the day in 4/3rds heaven.

My 4/3rds history is 510, 620, and now the E-5. To be honest, I was so disappointed when the E5 announcement was made I was convinced I was going to wring out every ounce of use from my 620, 12-60, and 50mm F2, and then switch format. Despite the fact we have some of the best glass around, I felt very let down by Oly having "invested" in their vision.

This month it finally came to the crunch! Eagerly waiting for the 5D MkIII announcement and finally seeing some reviews I was convinced that was where I was headed now it is starting to become available. But when push came to shove, the prospect fo spending 5K+ to "switch sides" by investing in a similar arsenal gave me pause for thought (I am Scottish after all!).

Long story short, I picked up the E-5 body for 1270 and it arrived this morning. Couldn't' be happier. My 12-60 and 50 F2, already great performers on my 620, are now simply dazzling and having a semi-pro Oly body in my hands for the first time I really regret not having done it sooner!

Anyhoo, there you go. A new E-5 owner. Probably rarer than hens teeth these days, but I am one happy E-5 owner none the less!

andym
5th May 2012, 10:13 PM
Hey guys, long time lurker here :)

Just wanted to say, my E-5 arrived today (12 hours ago) and I've spent the day in 4/3rds heaven.

My 4/3rds history is 510, 620, and now the E-5. To be honest, I was so disappointed when the E5 announcement was made I was convinced I was going to wring out every ounce of use from my 620, 12-60, and 50mm F2, and then switch format. Despite the fact we have some of the best glass around, I felt very let down by Oly having "invested" in their vision.

This month it finally came to the crunch! Eagerly waiting for the 5D MkIII announcement and finally seeing some reviews I was convinced that was where I was headed now it is starting to become available. But when push came to shove, the prospect fo spending 5K+ to "switch sides" by investing in a similar arsenal gave me pause for thought (I am Scottish after all!).

Long story short, I picked up the E-5 body for 1270 and it arrived this morning. Couldn't' be happier. My 12-60 and 50 F2, already great performers on my 620, are now simply dazzling and having a semi-pro Oly body in my hands for the first time I really regret not having done it sooner!

Anyhoo, there you go. A new E-5 owner. Probably rarer than hens teeth these days, but I am one happy E-5 owner none the less!

Hi and welcome.

I have just got an E-M5 but will not get rid of my E5,it's a great camera.I wanted the E-M5 for travel and walk-around but the E5 will be for wildlife etc.

f4780y
5th May 2012, 10:36 PM
Hi and welcome.

I have just got an E-M5 but will not get rid of my E5,it's a great camera.I wanted the E-M5 for travel and walk-around but the E5 will be for wildlife etc.

Cheers.
Yeah, I'm figuring the 620 + pancake is my walk-around now! :D

gregles
5th May 2012, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the party fella*chr

Looking forward to seeing some of your E5 shots, a camera I am lusting after*yes

Greg:)

paullus
6th May 2012, 08:33 AM
Congratulations on your new arrival and better late than never. I occasionally have a dabble with the dark-side in the shape of my wife's Nikon D7000 which she likes because it's smaller and lighter than the E5. If Olympus had continued to make the E620 that would have been her choice.
Anyway as much as I try to like the Nikon I find that it just doesn't do it for me. I know my way around the E5, I don't have to put it away when it rains, the IQ is superior in both sharpness and colour rendition and I love the special effect art filters especially dramatic tone. Some people sneer at these filters saying they are a that they don't belong on a top-end camera. Well I disagree, I can get brilliant special effects straight out of the camera without having to resort to software editing.
I just wonder how long you will keep your walkabout E620. I bet you'll soon have the pancake on your E5 and you'll rarely use the E620. I've just bought a 50mm F2 and and suddenly the camera has become so much lighter and portable.
The E5 is definitely addictive.
Enjoy!

Chevvyf1
6th May 2012, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the party fella*chr

Looking forward to seeing some of your E5 shots, a camera I am lusting after*yes

Greg:)

Greg cease lusting :D Get it ! I no longer have a walkabout camera - its E-5 all the time as I could not cope with inferior use of the "glass" :eek:

gregles
6th May 2012, 05:23 PM
Greg cease lusting :D Get it ! I no longer have a walkabout camera - its E-5 all the time as I could not cope with inferior use of the "glass" :eek:

Oh I wish but the E30 is doing a sterling job in the meantime*chr

Chevvyf1
6th May 2012, 06:03 PM
Oh I wish but the E30 is doing a sterling job in the meantime*chr

Ah! well ... I did nee buy the E-30 - wen from dear old E-1 and annual savings to E-5 :eek: