PDA

View Full Version : OM-D screen protectors

Stephen
5th May 2012, 11:44 AM
Hi
Anyone looking for a screen protector for their OM-D, I have just got 2 x SWIDO Anti-Reflective Screen Protector for Olympus E-M5 OM-D / EM5 OMD - PREMIUM QUALITY (non-reflecting and hard-coated) purchased from amazon for £6.49 inc del, good fit and very easy to apply.
Steve.

bruniroquai
6th May 2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks Steve, I have been looking for one!

StephenL
7th May 2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks. I put on a left-over one from my XZ-1 but I didn't fit it right neatly!

George Dorn
7th May 2012, 07:21 AM
Does the screen protector have any effect on the, er, touchiness of the screen, folks?

Stephen
7th May 2012, 02:22 PM
Hi Colin,
I can't tell any reduction of sensitivity of the screen, they are supposed to be specially designed to complement "Touch Screens"
Stephen.

jamsa
12th May 2012, 01:10 PM
link is here ifyou want some http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=SWIDO+Anti-Reflective+Screen+Protector+for+Olympus+E-M5+OM-D&x=21&y=16

broadway
12th May 2012, 04:52 PM
Linkk doessn't work for me http://www.amazon.co.uk/SWIDO-Diamond-Screen-Protector-Olympus/dp/B007URSVCA/ref=zg_bsnr_332174031_1

DekHog
12th May 2012, 05:00 PM
I can really recommend these - very easy to apply, bubble-free and don't appear to make the touch screen any less sensitive...... there are a couple of different varieties of them. I bought this one.

edmund473
12th May 2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks Derek. just ordered Screen protector regards John.

nad
16th May 2012, 09:11 PM
Which are (or is whatever you Brits say;-))) the best??? Diamond Clear or Anti Reflective???

niels

DekHog
17th May 2012, 06:43 AM
Which are (or is whatever you Brits say;-))) the best??? Diamond Clear or Anti Reflective???

niels

I went for the anti-reflective and it doesn't seem to be anything less than totally clear when the screen is on - plus I hate having reflections in the screen, and it certainly seems to eliminate them. I doubt you'll find someone who's bought both of them to compare though..... :)

nad
17th May 2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks. I've placed my order..

niels

jamsa
18th May 2012, 06:52 PM
The anti reflective is better by preference as its texture will notshow the minute scratches from wear and tear so much and it really is non reflective:) been on two days, easy to apply and has no effect on the touch screen :)

drmarkf
18th May 2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks. Order in...

ashtonsd
18th May 2012, 08:18 PM
Same here! Ordered the Anti-glare version.
Many thanks,

davidfarquhar
30th June 2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks. Am bumping this thread up deliberately as I was mortified to find some scratches in my screen today. I've been really careful with it and have no idea where they came from. Its worth knowing that it can scratch, and I'm hoping the protector will stop me from having any more

Loup Garou
2nd July 2012, 05:43 PM
I'd like one but I hate those bubbles between the surfaces when such screens are applied. Are people sure that it can be used without producing bubbles? And which of the 2 types is less likely to produce bubbles?

StephenL
2nd July 2012, 05:48 PM
I got the anti-reflective one from Amazon, the same as Dekhog.

I'm usually hopeless at fitting these, but this one went on totally bubble-free, and after weeks of use is still perfect.

snaarman
2nd July 2012, 06:51 PM
I bought a pair of Swido screens after it was mentioned here and put one on the E-M5, cut the other one down and fitted it on the E-PL3. First time I've done this. They both went on bubble free and I am more confident with both cameras when out and about now. Good invention, should have done it on all my previous cameras.

Pete

drmarkf
2nd July 2012, 07:18 PM
Yes, I have the antireflective one as well.

They send 2 in the pack: the first one went on but had an un-resolvable bubble on the corner, which wasn't really a problem from screen use point of view, but irritated the hell out of me.

However, the second went on like a dream and it's stayed put through quite a lot of hard labour since.

Loup Garou
3rd July 2012, 01:31 PM
Sorry for asking this again, but how useful are these gizmos really? I was under the impression that the LCD screen is OK as long as you look after your camera well, which I do. Is it a protective function to prevent scratches etc?

StephenL
3rd July 2012, 01:49 PM
Well, I've never scratched a screen on a camera, or phone if it comes to that, but then I take particular care of my kit. But accidents can happen, and the protectors take no functionality away from the device, so for a few quid it's worth it.

Loup Garou
3rd July 2012, 02:26 PM
OK, I'm sold. Will get the anti-reflective one.

CJJE
3rd July 2012, 02:31 PM
Since the screen on the E-M5 can't be folded away (unlike the one on my Lumix G1) for protection, screen protectors seem a worthwhile safeguard. When I sold my Canon EOS 40D a few months ago (to fund the E-M5) I noticed a slight scratch at the edge of its LCD screen so they can get marked.

The anti-reflective ones mentioned here went on very easily, and without bubbles, and don't seem to affect the touch screen. I wondered about cutting the spare down a bit for my Lumix GF2 but instead bought a couple of the smaller ones sold for that camera as well. :)

Loup Garou
3rd July 2012, 03:50 PM
Maybe I should get my wife a couple of those for her cameras. She tends to be a bit more careless with her kit.

ayewing
9th July 2012, 01:06 PM
Having just bought a OMD I was considering the need for a screen protector. In the past when using Pentax DSLRs I did not really need them as the screen seemed to be made of a very tough scratch resistant material. However I have read that some brands are more prone to scratching or loss of antii-reflective coating.

The hard protectors made of glass or polycarbonate would not be suitable as they would interfere with the touch sensitive properties of the screen on the OM-D. I am reassured that the screen protectors mentioned can be applied without bubbles under them. As my camera is new now is the best time to apply protection.

Thanks for the information
Archie

Archie

drmarkf
9th July 2012, 08:04 PM
I should add that I have scratched the screen of 2 cameras in the past - my E620 (with a single 0.5 cm scrape) and, faintly, in a sort of wavy pattern, of my E-PL2 which I've just sold.
So far therefore I'm very pleased with the protector I've applied to the E-M5. It would be unlikely to prevent a seriously sharp and hard object from marking it, but I'm pretty sure it would prevent something less aggressive from doing so.

I think both my previous problems were probably caused while walking/hiking. The E620 I'm fairly sure was damaged against a sharp belt buckle, but I'm less certain about the E-PL2. I tend to carry SLRs/CSCs on longish straps over my shoulder while hiking, and I suppose they may bang against stiles, gates etc.

I've certainly stopped wearing sharp belt buckles!

Loup Garou
27th July 2012, 04:54 PM
Just got back from India and found the SWIDO anti-reflective protector set waiting for me. I have sweaty hands and so got the wife for fix it for me. Came off great and bubble free right away. *chr

DJMC
6th October 2012, 10:28 PM
:confused:

I've just read the 1 star review on the Amazon site relating to the Swido protectors: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007PEIWFO/

Is the upset reviewer correct in any of his "three fundamental things"?

:rolleyes:

Stephen
7th October 2012, 12:40 AM
Hi David, had these screen protectors fitted from new, the protector only appears "cloudy" when the screen is off its a matt finish, yes it is about 1mm shy all round but covers all of the "Viewable" area, easiest protector I've ever fitted, they clean up well to finger marks etc, even ordered a set for my phone.
Steve.

ayewing
7th October 2012, 12:53 AM
I have fitted one of these protectors. It has a slightly "ground glass" appearance which is I think because it is anti-reflective but it does not impair the screen image. I found it very easy to fit and had no problem with bubbles. I would recommend it having had past experience of how easily a Leica M9 screen scratches. The exposed nature of the OM-D screen does put it at risk of being scratched by metal buttons or belt buckles.

drmarkf
7th October 2012, 01:02 AM
I've just had to replace my screen protector - one corner became detached and it slowly started to curl away. Another pair were delivered within 3 or 4 days and the replacement went on first time: I'm getting better at this...

Loup Garou
7th October 2012, 05:55 AM
I would disagree on all 3 points made by the 1-star reviewer. They only appear cloudy but give excellent views through them. They are the excat size for the OM-D screen and (although I got the wife to apply them for me) very easy to apply. I'd give them 5 out of 5.

David Morison
7th October 2012, 06:13 AM
Well as I have the touch screen settings turned off, I dislike touch screens for what I do - in fact I hardly ever use LV, then I am trying to get hold of a hard glass screen. However the total area of the screen on the E-M5 is larger than any available so far, so I am still searching. On that point, why does the camera have such a large screen, am I missing something?

David

Ross the fiddler
7th October 2012, 07:46 AM
Well as I have the touch screen settings turned off, I dislike touch screens for what I do - in fact I hardly ever use LV, then I am trying to get hold of a hard glass screen. However the total area of the screen on the E-M5 is larger than any available so far, so I am still searching. On that point, why does the camera have such a large screen, am I missing something?
David

Yes, you're probably missing the area that video uses. Since video is a wide screen format it uses the full width that the 4/3s photo format doesn't, plus there is electronic connection hardware on the right hand side as well as mechanical support for the whole assembly (on both sides).

BTW, I use the EXiM® Screen Protector (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3x-Exim-Anti-Glare-Screen-Protector-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-/310468935366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484963fec6).

CJJE
7th October 2012, 04:58 PM
:confused:

I've just read the 1 star review on the Amazon site relating to the Swido protectors: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007PEIWFO/

Is the upset reviewer correct in any of his "three fundamental things"?

:rolleyes:

They are anti-reflective so not as clear as a glossy screen protector would be, but I am more than happy with mine (and also ordered another one for my Lumix GF2!)

McShug
8th October 2012, 06:01 AM
I ordered a pack of these, first one I messed up, second one went on fine, even though I was a little worried as there was a little bubble towards the edge of the protector but it has settled down and I no-longer can see it, the anti-reflective is fine, not that we have had really good weather to test it out, in the past six weeks since I got my camera.

I was a little unsure as I have always used GGS protectors in the past but due to the touch screen I am unable to use them, I have also ordered a set of the Acmaxx screen protectors (http://www.acmaxx.net/olympus_em5.html), as recommended on mu43.com, but my Swido one is still going strong, so they have been put away for the future.

A friend recommends Micro Solutions they are a Japanese company but I can only find them available via the USA, if you do order these WARNING the instructions are in Japanese.

DJMC
8th October 2012, 08:51 AM
I ordered a pack of these, first one I messed up, second one went on fine, even though I was a little worried as there was a little bubble towards the edge of the protector but it has settled down and I no-longer can see it, the anti-reflective is fine, not that we have had really good weather to test it out, in the past six weeks since I got my camera.

I was a little unsure as I have always used GGS protectors in the past but due to the touch screen I am unable to use them, I have also ordered a set of the Acmaxx screen protectors (http://www.acmaxx.net/olympus_em5.html), as recommended on mu43.com, but my Swido one is still going strong, so they have been put away for the future.

A friend recommends Micro Solutions (http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Solution-Anti-Reflection-Anti-Fingerprint-Protection/dp/B007EZGOMC) they are a Japanese company but I can only find them available via the USA, if you do order these WARNING the instructions are in Japanese.
I noticed ACMAXX sell a film type protector, due to the touch screen, but I guess there's as much chance of getting a bubble under this as with any other? Do you have a link to the mu43.com article you refer to please?

I'd also read about the Micro Solutions one, but as you say, they don't seem to be available here.

OM USer
9th October 2012, 10:03 AM
My SWIDO anti-reflective has been on the E-M5 since new with no problems. Yes, it is a bit "cloudy" when the screen is blank but this is not an issue when the screen is on. I can't vouch for the anti-reflective properties as I use the EVF (saves putting the spectacles on and I prefer the traditional camera to eye stance anyway), but on occassion when reviewing shots in direct sunlight (with spectacle on) I haven't noticed any problems. I have a similar protector on my 'phone and on that the anti-reflcective screen works well.

maccabeej
9th October 2012, 11:47 AM
Put one on just before I went off to Italy for two weeks. It went on easily but by the end of the two weeks it was peeling off. I followed the instructions and everything seemed fine. So I am a little disappointed, but I will perservere and try the second one.
Jim

DJMC
15th October 2012, 04:39 PM
:)

Fitted an anti-reflective SWIDO protector yesterday. Perfect except for one of the corners where it refuses to adhere. Not too worried, it's only 2-3mm.

One little tip - irritating bubbles are most often caused by a tiny speck of dust between screen and protector. Whilst applying the protector keep an eye out for what's in the centre of any bubble which appears.
Peel back to the bubble, find the speck, and, using a loop of sticky-side-out sellotape you've made ready beforehand, grab the dust speck off the less-sticky-than-sellotape protector onto the sellotape and re-apply the protector. This only occurred to me yesterday when I had such a problem - works like a dream!

;)