PDA

View Full Version : Value of used E-5 ?

FlemmingS
3rd May 2012, 10:31 AM
I want to replace my 3 year old E-30 (approx 28.000 shots) with new better camera.
The EM-5 is tempting but doesn't offer full support for my 50-200 SWD and 35-100 mm, so I am looking at a second hand E-5.
There is one for sale near me : 1½ years old, 2 batteries and unknown number of shots and with a 12-60 mm for approx 900 £.
Do you consider this a fair price ?
I very much tempted to take a serious look at it, but I have some doubts.
Also I hope that Oly will announce an E-5 replacement this summer (FT or MFT doesn't matter), but I might wait in vain :confused:

Any advice appreciated *yes

P.S
I am willingto sell my E-30, but Oly DSLR are in low demand in Denmark, so if a forum member is interested I am willing to sell it for 300 £plus postage (including several batteries, charger and a kit lens will CP filter)

Kiwi Paul
3rd May 2012, 11:47 AM
Well if you follow the rumour mill the E7 may be closer than we think, I'm poking the fire anyway lol,

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83003#post83003

Paul

Nick Temple-Fry
3rd May 2012, 12:18 PM
Well if you follow the rumour mill the E7 may be closer than we think, I'm poking the fire anyway lol,

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83003#post83003

Paul

Just another twig to build the conflagration.

http://www.43rumors.com/damian-mcgillycuddy-the-new-stuff-i-am-playing-with-is-even-better-than-the-e-5/

Mind you an E-7 announced this early would seriously upset some Olympus users who have just bought the EM-5.

We can only hope that Ian refuses to comment (or even, though we'd miss him, goes back into hiding)

Nick

Olybirder
3rd May 2012, 01:33 PM
The most popular take on the latest Olympus marketing stunt with 2 walnuts and a postcard reading 'Coming soon' seems to be that they are referring to the new super durable 'tough nut' TG-1 iHS compact camera. That seems the most likely answer to me. You never know though .... :)

Ron

Kiwi Paul
3rd May 2012, 01:50 PM
Your probably right but the OM-D is old news now so we need some tantalising rumours to wet every-bodies appetite so I reckon a good old E7 rumour is the best way to do that lol.

I'm predicting a restyled E1 type body but with even better ergonomics, an improved version of the 16MP OM-D sensor giving better dynamic range and lower noise than the OM-D, a selectable fully articulated OR tilt OLED high res touch screen, a traditional OVF but with overlaid EVF (switchable) so you can view as much or as little info in the VF as you want.
The CAF will be world class and a huge step up from any 4/3 or m4/3 camera to date.
The camera will get rave reviews and heralded as one of the best cameras ever, everyone will be impressed and happy, even the doomslayers will eat humble pie, Canikon owners will jump ship in their thousands and Oly 4/3 will be "The gear" to own if your a serious photographer!!
So bring it on!! lol :p:D:rolleyes:

Paul

Olybirder
3rd May 2012, 01:58 PM
Your probably right but the OM-D is old news now so we need some tantalising rumours to wet every-bodies appetite so I reckon a good old E7 rumour is the best way to do that lol.

I'm predicting a restyled E1 type body but with even better ergonomics, an improved version of the 16MP OM-D sensor giving better dynamic range and lower noise than the OM-D, a selectable fully articulated OR tilt OLED high res touch screen, a traditional OVF but with overlaid EVF (switchable) so you can view as much or as little info in the VF as you want.
The CAF will be world class and a huge step up from any 4/3 or m4/3 camera to date.
The camera will get rave reviews and heralded as one of the best cameras ever, everyone will be impressed and happy, even the doomslayers will eat humble pie, Canikon owners will jump ship in their thousands and Oly 4/3 will be "The gear" to own if your a serious photographer!!
So bring it on!! lol :p:D:rolleyes:

Paul
I don't know what you are smoking Paul but could you send me a bit. :D :D

Ron

yorky
3rd May 2012, 02:08 PM
I would consider it a very fair price with the 12-60 as well, get your cheque off you cant lose at that. the e5 is still selling at £1300.

Chevvyf1
3rd May 2012, 03:54 PM
... 1½ years old, 2 batteries and unknown number of shots and with a 12-60 mm for approx 900 £.

I am EXCEEDINGLY pleased with my E-5 - I lurve the E-1 too! BUT the E-5 just eeks so much more out of the glass :D

I would be happy to pay 900 £ for the E-5 & 12-60 lens ITs a BARGAIN ! That lens is worth at least £400 ... only thing is how many shutter actuations on the E-5 ? :D

Ulfric M Douglas
3rd May 2012, 05:20 PM
People seem pretty keen to tempt you with the new rumours, but looking at costs of used gear ...
There is one for sale near me : 1½ years old, 2 batteries and unknown number of shots and with a 12-60 mm for approx 900 £.
...you'd be shelling out £450 for the E-5 body, which to my eyes seems pretty reasonable since you need the DSLR focusing anyway for your larger lenses, and if you don't have the 12-60 you're getting arguably the best walkaround Olympus lens ever.

(I'm in the market for neither.)

jamie allan
3rd May 2012, 06:52 PM
Flemming,
I'd say that's a very good price considering there is a 12-60 on sale here for £425. So you'd only be paying £475 for an E-5. Assuming it does not have a really high shutter count and is in good condition then it is not a gamble - you'd be able to sell it on easily and probably at a profit.

FlemmingS
3rd May 2012, 07:12 PM
Thank you all for your valuable input.
It'svery rare to see any second hand E-5's in Denmark, cheapest new body only price is 1.200 £.
The rumors of a new DSLR (E-7) doesn't make my decision any easier, but friend of mine (Nikon) shooter said everybody should own 2 DSLR (one primary and one backup).
So I decided to I send the seller a mail asking for an opportunity to test the outfit and also how many shutter actuations.
Now I'll cross my finger (the money is burning in my pocket)

paullus
7th May 2012, 04:25 PM
At that price you've simply got to go and have a look at it because good E-3 models are still fetching £250-£300. Just make sure it is a very good look and you are allowed to try it out before you buy.
I must admit to being a bit sceptical and concerned. I'd hate to think that my E5 had depreciated that much in value.
Cheers,
Steve

FlemmingS
7th May 2012, 06:53 PM
I have been i contact with the seller, camera was mostly used for video and has apprx. 8.000 shutter actuations.
Bad news is that I am not the only one is interested, and I will probably not get it :-(
(edit Price is approx 975 £ )

Steve:
Do be concerned: Denmark is Canikon country and people are moving away from FT DSLR, to either Canon, Nikon or mirrorless.
There is a lot of kit being sold sometimes to very low prices.
I am bidding on a Sigma 105 mm macro lens (approx 260 £)
Here is a link to the original advertisment:
http://www.dba.dk/olympus-e-5-123-megapixel/id-82779542/
Here is the Google translatation:
"Olympus

Resolution (million pixels)

model

E-5

supplementary text

E-5 is Olympus' flagship forDSLR.
The house is designed in Magnesium and is dust and water resistant.
It can handle extremely heavy rain, with no additional protection.
The screen is reversible so that it can be placed in the desired position, for use in the alternative angles.
The camera has a video function is filming in HD. Which personally been used to create incredibly cool videos.

Selling:
Olympus E-5 housing
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60 mm. f/2.8-4
2 more batteries.

The equipment is 1.5 years old and is in good condition.
It is a perfect camera if you want to take great pictures in an environment where you do not have to worry about the weather.

New price for the house, lens and two batteries is 19,473, -
Sold for: 9,000, -"

One british pouns is approx. 9,22 Danish Kroner at todays exchange rate

paullus
7th May 2012, 08:20 PM
Wow that is a revelation. I visited Denmark in 1989 and was shocked at the cost of things back then. I hope you are lucky and manage to get the E5 it is a fantastic deal and the shutter count is hardly a dint in its 150,000 life expectency. Good luck and please feel free to forward any other bargain offers on Oly 4/3rds to me first.
Regards,
Steve

FlemmingS
8th May 2012, 10:01 AM
Hi Steve
Visiting London in 1983 I was very surpised how much cehaper everything was, but in recent year Britain has certainly caught up, I fully understand the term 'Rip-of England' but having said that, I really enjoy visiting England *chr

Unfortunately it almost 100 % certain that I won't get the E-5 I linked to, but I have closed a deal for a Sigma 105 mm macro (260 £).

Here is three links to the market place _

Olympus Digital camera sorted in decending price:
http://www.dba.dk/billede-og-lyd/digitale-kameraer/olympus/?sort=price-desc
Analogue Olympus

http://www.dba.dk/billede-og-lyd/analoge-kameraer/olympus/?sort=price-desc

http://www.dba.dk/billede-og-lyd/fotoudstyr/objektiver-linser/?maerke=olympus&sort=price-desc

You can send an E-mail to each seller and often there is a phone number listed. And Google translate works quite good translating Danish to English.

I cannot garauntee that every seller will make business with buyers from abroad, and please note that many prices are insanely optimistic.
Most sellers are willing to negotiate and I have some good experiences, one 8 mm fish-eye in pristine condition 50 % off, one Om2n with 3 lenses 65 £ approx, and hopefully a good Sigma lens now

Please don't hesitate to PM me or Mail me (FlemmingS2011 at Hotmail.dk)
if you need advice