PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 grip - first impressions

StephenL
3rd May 2012, 09:35 AM
OK - these are literally first impressions after putting the grip(s) on 5 minutes ago.

Firstly, the Landscape grip.

Mixed feelings about this. yes, it makes the camera easier to hold, and yes, I'll probably keep it on all the time. I've swapped the wheels over so that the front whell controls the aperture (in A mode) and the back one, Exposure compensation. This still works well, although it's less easy to use my favoured method of using the index finger to handle both wheels. It's much harder to access Fn2 button. But Fn 1 button (which I've assigned to getting focus, using MF mode) is slightly easier to use.

Secondly, the Portrait grip.

Wow! This feels so good! And this from a person who hates portrait grips. It does give quite a bit more depth to the camera (obviously). But it actually gives more balance as well. As yet I've not put the second battery in (still charging). So I don't know how the weight will change. But ergonomically it's great. I've assigned B-Fn1 to attaining focus, and B-Fn2 to magnify. I've yet to try this combination in the field, but I have a strange feeling that the full grip set might be permanently attached to the camera.

As I said, these are just initial feelings. In use, they may change.

snaarman
3rd May 2012, 09:37 AM
Question. When the half grip is on, one gets another shutter, but one doesn't get another wheel (?)

EDIT. Yes, I see that one does

Does the original shutter still work (does one have do be wary of pressing it by mistake?)

EDIT. In that case does the original wheel still work?

Pete

StephenL
3rd May 2012, 09:48 AM
Does the original shutter still work (does one have do be wary of pressing it by mistake?)

EDIT. In that case does the original wheel still work?

Pete

Yes, both the original wheel and shutter button still work, but you'd need two index fingers to press them both! In other words, the grip ensures that normal fingers are kept well out of the way.

snaarman
3rd May 2012, 10:01 AM
Mmm. Can't wait to get mine.

When I attached the grip to the E-620 it immediately looked like a mini pro camera. I turned up at the village for the annual hounds thing with two 4/3 cameras, one with grip and everyone assumed I was from the local paper :)

However, the grip came off the E620 quite quickly as it made a nice size camera too large. In this case I want to make the E-M5 larger and like you I can imagine the half grip being fitted permanently. As to the extra portrait bit, I'm not so certain. It depends how it feels.

I have the front (fn2) button for DoF preview, a thing I use a fair bit. The rear fn2 is my AEL button - a thing I use quite a lot. The difficult to press red button is ISO - not a thing I change frequently.

It will be interesting to see how accessible fn2 is with the grip... (Equally do you remember groping around the front of the E-1 searching for for the Dof button :))

Pete

peak4
3rd May 2012, 10:41 AM
Mine's just arrived; The new home made tripod QD plate (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20225) doesn't fit, but then again I kind of expected that.
Threaded socket is a different distance from the edge of the camera body.
Back down to the shed again for me next time it rains. :D

Greytop
3rd May 2012, 11:19 AM
When did you register for your grips Bill and Stephen?

peak4
3rd May 2012, 12:00 PM
I first registered a while ago, but struggled to upload the receipt, so re-registered a week last Saturday when I collected the camera and had the serial number.

Greytop
3rd May 2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks Bill, that's pretty quick then.

StephenL
3rd May 2012, 02:38 PM
I've just got back from a 2 hour walk along the coast from here, with the full set of grips attached, plus admittedly a light lens, the 20mm pancake. This grip will be staying on the camera unless I need a really, really light and small setup. It makes the camera look a bit awkward, but in reality I find it great.

I registered on the 17 April.

StephenL
3rd May 2012, 03:29 PM
I should add that the wife said that my little camera no longer looks so little. Pity she doesn't say it about anything else ... :eek:

Tradetalk
3rd May 2012, 03:34 PM
I should add that the wife said that my little camera no longer looks so little. Pity she doesn't say it about anything else ... :eek:

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Tradetalk
3rd May 2012, 03:36 PM
Just a quick question; are the grips being sent by Royal Mail or carrier?

In our remote location only the good old Post Office gets here in any reasonable time you can add a week for a carrier!

Thanks

Dave

StephenL
3rd May 2012, 03:40 PM
Just a quick question; are the grips being sent by Royal Mail or carrier?

In our remote location only the good old Post Office gets here in any reasonable time you can add a week for a carrier!

Thanks

Dave
It surprised me by coming via Ian, our postie, from somewhere in the UK. Recorded delivery.

Gwyver
3rd May 2012, 04:11 PM
... Recorded delivery, which he had signed for as usual!

Stephen, I know you think highly of your postman but, best not to shout about this - as some 'jobsworth' might read this and cause trouble for him.

StephenL
3rd May 2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks, but I have signed a form which is lodged with the sorting office allowing him to do this. :)

dko22
3rd May 2012, 05:25 PM
I've just got back from a 2 hour walk along the coast from here, with the full set of grips attached, plus admittedly a light lens, the 20mm pancake. This grip will be staying on the camera unless I need a really, really light and small setup. It makes the camera look a bit awkward, but in reality I find it great.

I registered on the 17 April.

much nicer afternoon for it anyway (I assume the cloud lifted where you are as well). I guess that by the time I get my E-M5, you will already have an E-M6....

David