PDA

View Full Version : OM-D - Fn1 Magnify Problem....

DekHog
2nd May 2012, 06:27 PM
For anyone having problems getting the zoom for manual focus to work consistently when assigned to the Fn1 button.....

To show magnify box, only a very quick press of the Fn1 button. A long press to return to normal viewing - apparently it's down to the length of the button press. Can't try it myself at the moment, but I'd be interested in the results if a couple of people can.....

brianvickers
2nd May 2012, 06:36 PM
I have it assigned to Fn2....but it woks as you say...
first short jab and the green box appears, a second jab and the view is magnified.
then
if you give it a third short jab the full view with green box appears again and toggles to magnified view with each short jab.
A long press returns to normal view with no magnification.
hope that helps.

StephenL
2nd May 2012, 06:50 PM
I seem to be wildly stabbing several times before it decides to play, after which it works perfectly. Until it's powered off and on and you start again ....

DekHog
2nd May 2012, 07:04 PM
I seem to be wildly stabbing several times before it decides to play, after which it works perfectly. Until it's powered off and on and you start again ....

That's a pity, Stephen, I thought it might have solved it for you - looks like a firmware update maybe required after all. Just out of curiosity, have you tried assigning it to the other Fn button to see if it makes any difference?

brianvickers
2nd May 2012, 07:09 PM
its all in the wrist action...as the advert for hungry hippos used to say (or was it something else?)
I've set Fn2 to magnify because its easier to press than Fn1, I also set the record button to MF and Fn1 to AEL ...so the better buttons on the top are assigned to what I use most. I use Manual exposure a lot so hardly use AEL.

peak4
2nd May 2012, 08:08 PM
I've actually found it works better the other way round; one longish press and the little green box appears when you release the button, then a short press to zoom in and another short press to zoom out. Having zoomed in, you can control the degree of zoom with the front control wheel, which then reverts to its normal role when you zoom out again with the function button.
Combined with the half-press of the shutter to activate IS, should aid manual focussing with a long lens considerably.

StephenL
3rd May 2012, 08:55 AM
That's a pity, Stephen, I thought it might have solved it for you - looks like a firmware update maybe required after all. Just out of curiosity, have you tried assigning it to the other Fn button to see if it makes any difference?
I've only tried it on Fn2 so far. But I think Brian's probably right - it's all in the wrist action.

I'm going to experiment more with reassigning buttons now I've got the grip.

CallaWolf
24th May 2012, 07:27 AM
You're not the only one having that problem - took mine out last night with manual lenses and got extremely frustrated with that little green box. As far as I'M concerned, a button press is a button press. They're small enough already without having to worry about the duration of my press.
Other than that, and the somewhat short battery life irritation - I LOVE THIS CAMERA.

StephenL
24th May 2012, 08:11 AM
Mine seems to have settled down now - or I've got more used to it - and it works perfectly every time.

CallaWolf
24th May 2012, 08:31 AM
That's good to hear - is it a case of a lighter touch? Are you still set to Fn2?

StephenL
24th May 2012, 09:04 AM
That's good to hear - is it a case of a lighter touch? Are you still set to Fn2?

I'm still set on Fn2 (I think - can't check at the moment as to get to the camera I'd have to pass through the hall which SWMBO is painting just now). I think it's a case of a lighter but surer touch - more confidence, if you know what I mean.

CallaWolf
24th May 2012, 09:42 AM
LOL - yeah, I know what you mean
More confidence and less frustration

I found myself jabbing at it and muttering a lot

Ross the fiddler
24th May 2012, 11:24 AM
I'm glad you guys can have all the frustration working things out & when I finally get mine (maybe next week, maybe), I'll have all the tricks learnt from all your comments & hints. ;)
*chr

David Morison
24th May 2012, 12:20 PM
I think I've mainly got it sorted, I'm using Fn-2 as it is easier access from the shutter button. Still disappointed that it is more difficult than just selecting "Small" sensitivity on E30,E5 and it doesn't work as accurately on a small object against a larger confusing background.

David

Ross the fiddler
7th June 2012, 11:29 AM
I'm glad you guys can have all the frustration working things out & when I finally get mine (maybe next week, maybe), I'll have all the tricks learnt from all your comments & hints. ;)
*chr

I'm just raising this thread again now that I have my E-M5. I must confess that I didn't have it mastered straight away myself, even after all my reading.

This is the settings I now have;
F1: AEL/AFL (with AFL for MF & AEL set to Spot Metering)
F2: Multifunction (I decided to stay with this & will use the Magnify when I use a MF lens & maybe when I get the MMF-3, with the Sigma 150 macro lens)
F(0): ISO.
L-Fn: MF. (I am less likely to need End AF & will set that if I need it for video)

I hope everybody else is enjoying theirs.

*chr

dko22
7th June 2012, 10:43 PM
I have it assigned to Fn2....but it woks as you say...
first short jab and the green box appears, a second jab and the view is magnified.
then
if you give it a third short jab the full view with green box appears again and toggles to magnified view with each short jab.
A long press returns to normal view with no magnification.
hope that helps.

I've found it works reliably exactly as described here.

David