PDA

View Full Version : Olympus in Dubai

brianvickers
2nd May 2012, 06:12 PM
I was asked what prices are like in Dubai...so I've been out to find out.
The Dubai Mall has an Olympus shop....
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/DUB0309.jpg

so in I went.... a bit disappointing really...the chappy was so in awe at the sight of my OM-D that he might have been a bit distracted..I did let him have a go though.
They don't have a 12mm prime - and pointed me towards the 17mm...hmmm!
So I asked for the price of the 45mm prime...it was 310
and the 75-300 was 900...so no deal was had, even though I was offered a 5% discount.

Needlessly to say they didn't have an OM-D.

So just along the way I found this...
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/DUB0312.jpg

so as I still have a 50D, 24-105 and 70-200mm I though I'd ask the price of a 5DMkII which I've always wanted before I was introduced to m43... it was over 1700 body only....I could get that in the UK for at least 200 less.

These prices are based on an exchange of AED 5.8 to 1.

Some minutes later a lady approached me and said she needed to buy a camera and wanted my advice...she said the scary man in the Canon store had offered her something that was too big for her....so I sent her off to the Olympus shop and advised her to ask the nice Olympus man for an E-P3.....she was in there when I walked passed and the chappy gave me a friendly wave....he might have offered me that 75-300 at a bargain price....but alas I have retreated to the hotel only with some nice pics of the Burg.

And the best news about the Dubai Mall is this...
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/DUB0316.jpg
who says they have no taste in the middle east!

brianvickers
5th May 2012, 04:41 PM
well I'm glad I made the effort!
putting this post together kept me entertained at least.

Barr1e
5th May 2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for that - I know the feeling. :rolleyes:

Regards. Barr1e :D

Bill Gordon
5th May 2012, 06:58 PM
Well indeed....Tim Hortons in the far east......a Canadian company no less! For those who don't know who Tim was....he was a famous Canadian hockey player.

brianvickers
5th May 2012, 07:45 PM
..and great coffee as I remember from visits to Toronto, I've seen it once or twice in the UK but very rare.....they can certainly give Costa and Starbucks a run for their money.

Phill D
5th May 2012, 09:22 PM
Interesting story. I guess the prices are high to pay the rent on those fancy shops.

nitsuga_shoj
1st May 2013, 09:37 PM
I know this is a year-old thread, but, hit me up next time you come to Dubai.

I'd bring you to all the nice places where you can buy cameras and gear at a much, much lower cost than what they charge you somewhere else.

BTW, I'm new to the group and researching about the now much acclaimed OM-D E-M5 brought me over here.

Seems like a nice place to learn a lot...

Zuiko
1st May 2013, 10:03 PM

I'd bring you to all the nice places where you can buy cameras and gear at a much, much lower cost than what they charge you somewhere else.

BTW, I'm new to the group and researching about the now much acclaimed OM-D E-M5 brought me over here.

Welcome to the forum, Nitsuga. :)

David M
1st May 2013, 10:30 PM
Most small towns around here have a Tim Hortons. I pass two on my way to work, a 25 minute drive.

Chevvyf1
2nd May 2013, 02:39 AM

Yeah ! Welcome :) how are you getting on with that kit ?

Brian, I did enjoy your "shopping trip" have you the lens yet ?

Bill Gordon
2nd May 2013, 12:15 PM

Do you have a Tim Hortons over there? Much better than Amerikan coffee houses.

nitsuga_shoj
3rd May 2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah ! Welcome :) how are you getting on with that kit ?

Brian, I did enjoy your "shopping trip" have you the lens yet ?

I actually haven't got it yet. Figured I'd learn a little about it first, before taking the plunge.

Searching through google brought me here, so...

nitsuga_shoj
3rd May 2013, 05:35 PM
Do you have a Tim Hortons over there? Much better than Amerikan coffee houses.

LOL!

Yeah, we have a quite a number of Tim Horton's shops.
They're a fairly new name here though. About a year and a couple months since they started, if I'm not mistaken.

Now I'm trying to figure out what's there between Tim Horton's and Olympus. :p

Maybach
7th July 2013, 05:02 AM
Hi, saw your thread as I was searching for Olympus store in Dubai..... I have just arrived on the way to Zanzibar, just to realize that I have completely forgotten about the charger!!! My OM-D is brand new and I have only taken 10-15 shots with it. I brought the booklet with me so I can read as I am using it.
Please assist with the tip about where to buy the charger that will suit the battery..... Thanks heaps in advance!