PDA

View Full Version : OM-D E-M5 review by dpreview

Olybirder
30th April 2012, 09:30 AM
The full review of the OM-D E-M5 has just been posted on the dpreview site.

I haven't had a good look yet but, like many other people, I suspect, I went straight to the Conclusion section to see their verdict. 80%, a Gold Award and the most capable M43 camera so far! Time for a proper read, I think.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/

Ron

steverh
30th April 2012, 12:34 PM
I've had a quick lunchtime scan. There is a lot of useful information in there which should help setting up the camera.

This is the crux of the conclusion:

The E-M5 can't completely overcome the light capture disadvantage brought by its smaller sensor, compared to APS-C, but it reduces it to the point that it's irrelevant for almost all practical purposes. At which point we think its size advantage, in terms of both body and lenses, will outweigh that difference for most uses. If you're absolutely unwilling to compromise on image quality then spending twice the money and moving up to the bulk of a full-frame is the only way of gaining a significant step up from the E-M5.

But if you are seriously into high-speed sports photography you should probably look elsewhere!

snaarman
30th April 2012, 12:45 PM
I have to say it's one of the most positive Olympus reviews I have seen them do... :)

BTW. They did a preview of the D3100, entry level APS-C sensor Nikon DSLR with 24Mpixels (!) I think it is debatable that the Nikon entry level kit lenses would be good enough for such a resolution sensor, but what do I know.

Anyway - in chasing the headline pixel count, their pixels are now reduced to the same size as those in the E-M5, and if you compare, you find the two cameras now have the same high ISO performance.

Greytop
30th April 2012, 03:00 PM
Well they obviously like it and so do I :)
The last really glowing Oly review I read on DPR was for the E-510 (I think).

Who's_E
30th April 2012, 05:29 PM
Well done Olympus on that result - is that the first gold award for an Olympus on DPReview?

Nick

jdal
30th April 2012, 06:20 PM
The reviewers must be wondering what they have to do to please their Oly forum contributors. They are usually accused of slating Oly DSLr's and the punters accuse them of anti-Oly bias, this time they praise an Oly product and the punters mostly say "nope, not getting one, it's not good enough" (this (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=41375359) thread) :confused::confused:

For my part, it looks perfect. I don't do video or C-AF.

Mrs T
30th April 2012, 06:58 PM
I have shown this to my Dad, who was highly impressed when he saw my E-M5 on Saturday. Trouble is he has been a Canon user for many years, hence my post yesterday about what functionality he'd have with his favourite Canon lens (70-200mm). If anyone can point me to an answer he may be converted!

Amanda

jdal
30th April 2012, 07:14 PM
I think he'll be on full manual, as per here (http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=821)

Sorry to hear he's a long-term Canon user. You could try a Canon substitute like Sony for a while, then get him onto a Panny m4/3 and after a year or so he'll ready to go clean and onto Olympus. :):)

Mrs T
30th April 2012, 07:34 PM
I think he'll be on full manual, as per here (http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=821)

Sorry to hear he's a long-term Canon user. You could try a Canon substitute like Sony for a while, then get him onto a Panny m4/3 and after a year or so he'll ready to go clean and onto Olympus. :):)

Thanks for the link jdal.

The problem has been concerning the EVF. Any camera he changes to must have an inbuilt EVF, and he is keen on the smaller size, but has said when he photographs local events he needs an SLR as people respond to that more than a 'compact'!

However, the E-M5 seems to tick many boxes for him.

Amanda

jdal
30th April 2012, 07:41 PM
...The problem has been concerning the EVF. Any camera he changes to must have an inbuilt EVF, and he is keen on the smaller size, but has said when he photographs local events he needs an SLR as people respond to that more than a 'compact'!...

How about this (http://blog.giuliosciorio.com/?p=550) link then!

Mrs T
30th April 2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks John, that's really useful.

Amanda

DekHog
30th April 2012, 08:26 PM
Imagine an Olympus getting a gold award from DPR? Amazing!

I just got mine all set up as I liked it last night then got whipped into hospital this morning with kidney stones! Grrrrrr...... :)

Stewart G
30th April 2012, 08:26 PM
John, that's a very thoughtful site, I like what Giulio Sciorio has to say. Seems as though there's also an unrealized market for hollow 5DmkII bodies where a OM-D could be stuffed inside.

jdal
30th April 2012, 08:35 PM

I just got mine all set up as I liked it last night then got whipped into hospital this morning with kidney stones! Grrrrrr...... :)
Blimey :eek:, I'm cancelling my order.

Get well soon.

PeterBirder
30th April 2012, 08:43 PM

That's a bummer Derek. Get well soon.*yes

Regards.*chr

DekHog
30th April 2012, 09:02 PM
Blimey :eek:, I'm cancelling my order.

Ha, ha, I'm putting it down to all the menu surfing trying to get the bugga working as I want.... ;)

That's a bummer Derek. Get well soon.*yes

Regards.*chr

Thanks Peter, I've no doubt I'll be sent home semi-well tomorrow. No point in spending all that extra money keeping you until you're actually really well, is there? :D

OlyPaul
1st May 2012, 07:13 AM
I've had a quick lunchtime scan. There is a lot of useful information in there which should help setting up the camera.

This is the crux of the conclusion:

But if you are seriously into high-speed sports photography you should probably look elsewhere!

I'm not into high speed sports photography as such and it looks to be a great camera, but as someone who enjoys shooting his dogs running flat out and enjoying their selves , then for me I think it is not there yet and will wait a little longer.:)

However, despite Olympus' claims about improvements in continuous autofocus and subject tracking capability, we found the system too slow and unpredictable to develop much enthusiasm about. If you're careful about making sure the camera has locked onto a subject, you can expect to get a couple of sharp shots out of a burst but the results are patchy and, for the kinds of 'grab the moment' shooting you'd want it to work for, the results simply aren't reliable enough. The EM-5 is far from unusual in this respect (Continuous AF isn't a strength of contrast-detection AF), but for such an expensive model, and one for which Olympus is pushing the continuous AF capabilities, it's a disappointing result.

StephenL
1st May 2012, 07:16 AM

Sounds painful. Hope you get sorted soon. :)

Zuiko
1st May 2012, 07:41 AM

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Derek, hope you get well soon.

drmarkf
1st May 2012, 06:17 PM

Ouch! All the very best from me.

Sounds like you might need some R&R time, which I prescribe should be spent quietly, getting to know the new camera *chr (and, yes, beer will help to flush the system!)

I arrived home this afternoon to find mine waiting for me, and after a frustrating time watching the charger light I've now had a couple of hours of fun.

I've had one random reset while setting the copyright info, but everything else seems just great. I luuuurve the auto eyelevel viewfinder switching, and how everything feels so much more solid than the E-PL2. Focussing speed with the PanLeica 25mm in even modest light levels is exhilarating :)

I'm off to Manchester to see my daughter tomorrow, so I'll try it on some street photography...

From what I gather from reading the dpreview article I probably won't be selling my Nikon motorsports kit just yet, but I'll be humping it around less often.

StephenL
1st May 2012, 06:26 PM
Mark, I notice you have both the Panasonics 20mm and 25mm PL. It would be good if you could comment on the differences twixt the two.

BTW I seem to recall I also had a "funny" whilst setting the copyright info, but I cannot remember just what. It was a long time ago, and nothing's gone wrong since!

Kenz
1st May 2012, 06:32 PM
Check out the Ephotozine full review.

It gets a "Highly Recommended".

Olympus have real winner here, i love mine, had it for 4 days now.

Ken

drmarkf
1st May 2012, 07:23 PM
Mark, I notice you have both the Panasonics 20mm and 25mm PL. It would be good if you could comment on the differences twixt the two.

Size and weight differences are obvious. The dedicated lenshood on the PL is also a significant length - I use a small cheapo eBay hood on the 20mm which does the job and is compact, but the PL one provides useful protection in the camera bag and from rain beyond whatever flare reduction it offers. I have kept the 20mm for when I want to be super-compact (but to be perfectly honest I've only taken it with me once since getting the PL, and I may now sell it).

On the Oly bodies you need to use raw image correction for both the 20 and the 25mm - I use PTlens, which is fine for both, and they actually used my calibration image to produce their PL 25mm correction set which is now included in the latest version of the program.

I find the 25mm a tad sharper in the centre at wide apertures, although that's only noticeable when pixel-peeping, really, and I do like the balance and feel of of the camera with it on board. I do a lot of work at full aperture or close to it.

Focussing speed's quite similar for both on the E-PL2, but I haven't yet compared both on the OMD. Certainly the 25mm is faster on the OMD than the E-PL2.

Hope that helps.

drmarkf
1st May 2012, 07:41 PM
...I can also confirm that the PL25 doesn't creak and groan as it (and the 20) does on the E-PL2 :)

There is, however, a faint whirring/breathing sound from the E-M5 when it's on - have others noticed this? Is it the IS?

jdal
1st May 2012, 07:51 PM
...I can also confirm that the PL25 doesn't creak and groan as it (and the 20) does on the E-PL2 :)

There is, however, a faint whirring/breathing sound from the E-M5 when it's on - have others noticed this? Is it the IS?

That's you getting excited :D

DekHog
1st May 2012, 08:01 PM

It certainly is the new 5-axis IS doing it's thing..... it doesn't bother me in the slightest, even though i can hear it if the room is quiet.

My 20mm focusing speed is much quicker on the OM-D than the PL2; night and day, really, and locks on every time, even in low light. I was about to buy a 25mm until I tried the 20mm on the OM-D, and the fact that it's a pancake sealed the deal.....

snaarman
1st May 2012, 08:18 PM

That is the elf they ship inside each camera. How else did you expect it to work?

:)

bredman
1st May 2012, 08:50 PM
Is that the camera? That's a relief, i thought i had tinnitus. :o

:)

drmarkf
1st May 2012, 09:17 PM
Yeah, yeah...
I'm already in love with the soft hum it's making! *couple

It's a lot more professional-sounding than the chuntering of both lenses on the E-PL2 - it has more of the lock-on hum of the VRII on my Nikkor 70-200 f2.8, so we're dealing with serious kit here!

snaarman
7th May 2012, 07:32 AM
One week later and the E-M5 review is still the most visited item, twice as many hits as the next review. Interesting eh?

Greytop
7th May 2012, 08:25 PM
I think Olympus have almost literally struck gold with this camera ;)