PDA

View Full Version : EM-5 firmware update process

Gwyver
29th April 2012, 10:38 AM
This post will hopefully offer reassurance to those of you about to do the same.

I've just finished using the Olympus Camera Updater software to apply the latest firmware (1.1) to my camera body.
This process took over 25mins to complete - and is not for those of a nervous disposition.

Once I'd initiated the update, the warning message ("don't disconnect your camera.." etc.) on the PC sits there for ages without any meaningful indication of progress and the camera's monitor screen is completely blank.
After more than 5 minutes of apparent inactivity (this used to be about the time it took to complete my E3 firmware updates) I decided to use the Windows Task Manager to check if anything was actually happening. With all other programs stopped the only signs of hope were that the Network perfomance tab showed LAN traffic at a measly 0.02%, and on the processes tab the CameraUpdater process was showing a very slowly increasing memory utilisation. With this slight reassurance I prepared for a long wait - better than bricking the new camera due to impatience.:eek:

Luckily after about 20 minutes the camera screen burst into life with it's don't switch-off or disconnect message (and the PC window changes accordingly). Finally the "OK" messages appeared. Time for a big sigh of relief. However it seems that you can only clear the "OK" display on the camera by a power-off and then switch on again (to check the firmware revision on the Setup Menu).

Apologies for boring those of you for whom this is common knowledge.

Bikie John
29th April 2012, 12:40 PM
Same experience here. It's pretty nerve-shredding.

I really really wish Oly would move away from having to have the camera plugged in to do firmware updates. All the other cameras I've had - including Panasonic m43 - do it by downloading the upraded firmware onto a memory card. I can appreciate that having the camera online makes it easier for the update process to check the firmware levels of the body and attached accessories, but this is a small advantage and I can't see any others.

If they really must do it this way, it would be much improved by making it a 2-step process. First, download from the server to the user's PC, preferably with a progress meter so we're not sat there biting our nails. If this step gets too treacly, it could safely be aborted. Then OK it to kick off the camera update.

Ian - any chance of feeding this back to Oly? It seems to come up with every new camera!

Ciao ... John

pault
29th April 2012, 12:57 PM
I had the same nerve racking experience. On a separate note, and coincidentally, my ISP have had, this past week, problems resulting intermittent internet connection. Had this occurred during my camera update then the camera would have been 'bricked".
Olympus, with their method of updating are relying on reliable internet connection, and with 20-25 minute update, I will be very nervous of future updates.
Certainly Olympus should re-think.

snaarman
29th April 2012, 01:02 PM
I wonder if the problem is the Olympus update server being overwhelmed with new owners worldwide updating their E-M5s?

Frank N Furter
29th April 2012, 01:12 PM
The mac updater just seemed to hang...so I tried updating in windows and it took about 20-25 mins... I'm on 50mb broadband, so I would presume the issue is at the Olympus server, really it should only take a few seconds to download the updated firmware file.
It was like waiting for exam results!... so I left it, made a cup of tea, and it was complete when I returned.

Repeated the process for the lens...that seemed to complete in about half the time.

Westy
29th April 2012, 01:56 PM
I think you will find that the firmware is fully downloaded to your computer before the software starts the update process of the camera and lens. You also don't need to update the camera and lens firmware separately, the software will see to both during the same operation. Hope this elevates anybody's fears. The biggest Issue is to ensure the battery is fully charged and be patient don't touch or disconnect the camera before the process is fully complete.Happy updating.:)

bredman
29th April 2012, 05:34 PM
All over quickly for me. The body update was over in about 8 mins. The lens took about a minute. Easy peasy. ;)

StephenL
29th April 2012, 05:40 PM
I found that I had to do the lens as a second operation. The lens version wasn't recognized until the body had been done, although the software did advise me of this and instructed me accordingly.

Greytop
29th April 2012, 05:44 PM
Must admit mine updated in (I guess) somewhere between 5 - 10 minutes. Still feels like a bit of a wait though.
I too would be happier if we could simply download the file and copy to an SD card for the update.

StephenL
29th April 2012, 05:52 PM
I think one reason for doing it he Olympus way is to make sure the correct and latest file is being applied. Also to prevent tinkerers messing with the firmware, as happens to Panasonic, which is notorious for having hacked versions of the firmware flying round.