PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 4.1 RC2 - includes EM5 Support

timg
26th April 2012, 08:14 PM
For those of you lucky enough to have an EM5 Lightroom 4.1 RC2 is available with EM5 support.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html

dko22
26th April 2012, 10:59 PM
immediately downloaded the moment I heard about it. It's the last nail in the coffin for my GH2 and I'll order the camera at the weekend. Finally the E-M5 shows what it's capable of. ISO 8000 fully useable. Shadow slider all the way to 100 virtually noise free. Effortless HDR from a single file (not that I personally like HDR..). You can even expose slightly to the right and still get those clouds back. And, a major improvement to fringing/CA removal -- it's virtually a thing of the past as from today.

Any LR4 user who has only seen E-M5 JPEGS so far, pls download this update and prepare to be amazed. Too late in the evening to upload the evidence now but no doubt by this time tomorrow when I'll have time, others will have got in! I suspect the reviews can now only get even better.

David

peak4
26th April 2012, 11:40 PM
I'd have been seriously tempted if it worked with XP, but it seems to need at least Vista :mad:

The Technician
27th April 2012, 11:19 AM
Does lightroom 3.6 support the EM5? or do I have to upgrade?

StephenL
27th April 2012, 11:41 AM
Does lightroom 3.6 support the EM5? or do I have to upgrade?

I'm afraid you'd have to upgrade to LR4. But you can download the RC without charge, and it will run till it becomes an official update.

OlyPaul
27th April 2012, 12:42 PM
I'm afraid you'd have to upgrade to LR4. But you can download the RC without charge, and it will run till it becomes an official update.

Or alternatively wait for the proper update (not beta) and then download the latest DNG conveter and Convert your EM5 ORF files to DNG Files and LR3 will handle them fine.

I always as a matter of routine import them as DNG's and Archive the ORF files.:)

dko22
28th April 2012, 09:09 AM
Just in case anyone wants to see the dynamic range possible with the E-M5 and LR 4.1, pls look at the full sized images below. (Unfortunately, it appears that this site limits gallery images to 512k which is no use for test images). The RAW has both highlights and shadow set to maximum. Note the lack of noise in the shadow detail, the lack of posterization in the sky and the colours which remain fairly well natural and then compare what happens to the JPEG processed with the same settings. The original unprocessed JPEG is also shown

Sorry that the image has zero aesthetic appeal but there has been a lot of discussion about the DR of the E-M5 and this gives at least a comparative example and I haven't seen anyone doing a side by side pushing RAW and JPEG before in this way.

David

http://dko22.zenfolio.com/p1038957802

DekHog
28th April 2012, 10:46 AM
Yup, this is great news. As much as I love my Oly cameras, even when shooting RAW (up to the OM-D), post recovery has been extremely limited, with colours/contrast very soon going off the scale...... it's great to now have a bit of latitude to play with.

smartwombat
4th May 2012, 05:23 PM

And if you're running Windows XP you need to upgrade the operating system too !
I've been on XP SP3 for ages and it's stable, and I understand it, and...
Oh I know I'm making just he same arguments as when I needed to upgrade to WIN 3.1 :o
But change is hard ...

timg
4th May 2012, 05:36 PM
And if you're running Windows XP you need to upgrade the operating system too !

Plus XP has been the longest serving version of Windows ever so it's not like they've just stopped supporting it for no reason... 7 is so much nicer than XP, especially if you treat yourself to an SSD.

smartwombat
8th May 2012, 09:09 PM
Sadly upgrading to Windows 7 means buying a new laptop, my VAIO can't handle it.

If I'm being forced to abandon an O/S that works and buy a new computer, then it's a great opportunity to get off the Windows treadmill of faster CPUs and more memory.

So now the question is do I go Mac?

timg
8th May 2012, 09:17 PM
then it's a great opportunity to get off the Windows treadmill of faster CPUs and more memory.

How is this the Windows treadmill? There will always be a push for faster CPUs and more memory, look at smart-phones... some of them are dual or even quad-core now, who would have predicted that a few years ago?

My tablet has a 32GB micro-SD card... I can still remember buying a 512K memory upgrade for my Amiga!

theMusicMan
8th May 2012, 09:20 PM
Sadly upgrading to Windows 7 means buying a new laptop, my VAIO can't handle it.

If I'm being forced to abandon an O/S that works and buy a new computer, then it's a great opportunity to get off the Windows treadmill of faster CPUs and more memory.

So now the question is do I go Mac?
I speak as I find, and I have been on a Mac for 6 years now. Still use a PC in work - and it is fine, nothing wrong with it. However, I can safely say, with 100% certainty, that I will never purchase a windows machine again. I bought my Macbook for 800 6 years ago, sold it a year ago for 200 and put that towards a new MacBookPro. Yes for sure, PC's/Laptops are a lot cheaper, but try selling a 5 yr old Laptop for 1/4 the purchase price Macs hold their value. Also, it was sold with the latest version of OSx on it - on a 5yr old machine.

All the software I need runs on it; I have the MS Office Suite, Photoshop, Lightroom, all my synth stuff - in fact the only thing that isn't available as native OSx is MS Project - cos MS haven't released that on OSx. Besides, if I want to run any Win software, I can use Bootcamp or Parallels.

Each to their own... and if you've been happy with Win for so long, then it might be better the devil you know... but then again... how many people do you know who have been on OSx then go to Win and say they'd never go back to OSx?

timg
8th May 2012, 09:55 PM
I bought my Macbook for 800 6 years ago, sold it a year ago for 200 and put that towards a new MacBookPro.

...or buy an equivalent Windows Laptop for 600 and keep it... same difference! :D

StephenL
9th May 2012, 06:39 AM
I've just gone through the same angst. I am Windows for PC and Mac for lapdog. My PC is aged. But I've decided to build myself a new PC, using bits I already have. It's only costing me around 500 for a i5 with SSD etc, and new, silent, case because I already have some unused MS licences and bits. I'd probably like to go full Mac, but can't be bothered learning a new OS at my age. bad enough trying to understand the E-M5!

theMusicMan
9th May 2012, 07:41 AM
...or buy an equivalent Windows Laptop for 600 and keep it... same difference! :D
Agreed - in terms of price/cost Tim - possibly better for the Win camp as you could sell a 5yr old laptop for possibly 40-60 :)

However, in the 5 years I had my Macbook, a mate of mine went through 3 laptops. Besides, I am not sure a 5 year old laptop would run the latest version of Windows - whatever that is at the moment.

timg
9th May 2012, 12:36 PM
However, in the 5 years I had my Macbook, a mate of mine went through 3 laptops.

Was that through necessity though? or just because he fancied it? A decently specced Windows laptop should last years... my work laptop is 3 years old and showing no signs of needing replacing and I use some fairly intensive apps like Visual Studio.

Besides, I am not sure a 5 year old laptop would run the latest version of Windows - whatever that is at the moment.

I'm pretty sure it would... unless it was a low-end laptop to start with. Windows 7 is the current version, 8 should be out later this year and to be honest I don't think it's any more intensive than XP... I use Windows 7 Media Centre as my PVR on a bottom end Core i3 (using integrated graphics too) and it's fine. Media Centre even passed the wife test, now that is saying something! *laugh

Personally I could never go to Macs because I'm a tinkerer... I've always built my own PCs using the components I've personally selected. The thought of going to a shop and just buying a computer off the shelf makes my skin crawl! :D

Ian
9th May 2012, 06:04 PM
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on a four year old HP laptop with a touch screen and it's rock solid. Going rate on eBay is 200 and I paid 600 in May 2008. It originally came with 32-bit Vista, then I upgraded to 32-bit Win 7 and recently upgraded to 64-bit Win 7, as well as replacing the HD with an SSD and upgraded the memory to 4GB. If you haven't tried Win 7 and you are used to XP or even Vista, you will be very pleasantly surprised at how improved Win 7 is.

I may be forced to replace my laptop though as its graphics support is relatively primitive and as I need to do video a laptop with a Core i5 CPU and an NVIDIA graphics processor that supports CUDA stream processors may well speed up video rendering by 10x or even more.

Incidentally, if you are running Photoshop CS5, you can install ACR 6.7 and this supports the E-M5 too.

I have now installed CS6 (release version, not the beta) and the equivalen to of ACR 6.7 is not yet available although you can download ACR 7.1 release candidate and install manually - this does support the E-M5.

Ian

jamie allan
9th May 2012, 06:13 PM
Ian,
That's very interesting about CS5 and ACR6.7. I've been using CS3 for a number of years and am happy with it. I was a bit disconcerted that if I bought an OM-D I'd have to go to LR or Elements as I couldn't afford CS6. There's a Gumtree sale of a genuine copy of CS5 in my neighbourhood so I may just bite the bullet.