PDA

View Full Version : Got one!

michaelavis
5th June 2008, 06:01 PM
Got my E520 a few days ago from SRS Microsystems and so far am very pleased. I was a happy E510 user and had reached that stage where I knew every menu function and every button and dial very well and the E520 has a few changes, especially in the way they've restructured the menu and obviously there are the functionality changes. I cant speak about any changes in IQ yet, Ive just been playing, but I'd give Olympus the benefit of the doubt and say that it just about feels like an evolved product as opposed to a spec-fest upgrade to compare well with the competition - but only just. If I had have really thought about it, I would have waited a few months until the price had dropped £100 now that the thrill of getting one early is over *yes

gno
5th June 2008, 07:27 PM
I'd be interested to hear further comments once you have had a chance to try it out especially as a comparison with your E-510.

Regards

Gavin

StephenL
6th June 2008, 03:05 PM
It would be good to hear an objective opinion of the image quality between the two from someone like yourself, who has long experience with the E-510. The bottom line is, is it worth changing to it?

Graham_of_Rainham
6th June 2008, 04:34 PM
Having "Played" with one, thanks to Ian, I thought it was great and instantly liked it.

I'd really like to hear how it compares with the 510

Thanks

Graham

Ralph Hardwick
6th June 2008, 10:15 PM
As someone who is about to buy their first DSLR and having narrowed it down to the 510. I would be very interested in which one to buy.

Pay the premium for the new one or benefit from some of the deals on the old model. I would guess there would probably be over 100 difference. Is the 520 worth the extra?

I would really apreciate any info

michaelavis
13th June 2008, 04:50 PM
I haven't had an opportunity to do much with the E520 since getting it, simly too busy. My bet is that there wouldnt be a discernable difference in IQ, I think its all down to the new features (there are a few tests around now that will highlight the difference in features)and the knowledge that you have the latest, so it boringly comes down to how much do you value those things and to try to put a monetary value on it and see if its worth the difference in price which I think is quite wide right now. The best price Ive seen for a E520 is 449 for the body from SRS Microsystems who sell on eBay, Ive also seen the 14-42 lens included for 499. For quite a lot less than either of these prices an E510 twin lens kit could be yours. Its really comes down to your own value system.

Jim
13th June 2008, 06:13 PM
Ralph.

SRS in Watford are selling brand new E-510's at 249 at the moment, and the new E-520's at 449 so 200 of difference at the moment.

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/29/groupID/4/categoryID/15/v/05313923-7a07-46ab-b44a-335d0ce9eece

As someone who is about to buy their first DSLR and having narrowed it down to the 510. I would be very interested in which one to buy.

Pay the premium for the new one or benefit from some of the deals on the old model. I would guess there would probably be over 100 difference. Is the 520 worth the extra?

I would really apreciate any info

StephenL
13th June 2008, 07:22 PM
£249! What a great price!