PDA

View Full Version : Which Memory Card?

The Technician
24th April 2012, 10:18 AM
Of all you people out there who have their OM-D :)
which memory card is the best in terms of cost v speed :D

StephenL
24th April 2012, 10:27 AM
Well, I'm using Integral Ultima class 10 cards from ye olde 7DayShoppie. Normally I'd only use Sandisk 'cos I've had problems with certain other makes, but I thought I'd give these a try. I don't video, so speed isn't a major issue, but buffer clearance and download speed can be.

Ian
24th April 2012, 11:04 AM
If you want to benefit fully from high performance cards you need ones rated for 600x or 96 (or thereabouts) megabytes per second transfer rate. These will mean the camera's buffer is cleared almost twice as fast. I found little difference in performance with all other cards I have tried, whether UHS-1 or not, though best avoid Class 4, go for Class 6 or higher.

Ian

snaarman
25th April 2012, 10:37 AM
Well, I ordered a pair of 4G Sandisk SD cards from 7dayshop for the alleged E-M5 and its alleged 45mm lens, both due from SRS sometime.

(At this rate the memory cards will be the only part of the kit to arrive before the end of the month :))

broadway
25th April 2012, 12:46 PM
The 16gb Sandisk SD class 10 seem good value at 15.99 from 7dayshop or Amazon. I have one waiting for my OM-D to arrive.

The Technician
25th April 2012, 01:21 PM
The 16gb Sandisk SD class 10 seem good value at 15.99 from 7dayshop

I was looking at this one myself :D

The Technician
25th April 2012, 02:28 PM
Does anyone know the approx no. of shots you can get on the 8Gb/16Gb cards?

StephenL
25th April 2012, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know the approx no. of shots you can get on the 8Gb/16Gb cards?

My camera suggests 867 raw files or 1835 large fine jpegs on a 16gb card.

George Dorn
25th April 2012, 04:38 PM
I've been using own brand SD cards from play.com successfully for a while.

And I'd love to try one in an OM-D.... eventually.

Ian
26th April 2012, 08:09 AM
I would just like to reiterate, that if you want the full performance of the E-M5 for high speed burst shooting (not the shooting rate but the buffer-clearing rate), you need a 600x or 95MB/sec card. UHS-1 is not enough and Class 10 simply means it will do at least 10MB/sec. For example:

http://tinyurl.com/7l5emgh

http://tinyurl.com/7k96w9j

45MB/sec (300x) is not enough to make much of a difference compared with run of the mill UHS-1 cards.

Ian

StephenL
26th April 2012, 08:17 AM
Blimey! And here's me thinking that I was really going up-market with my measly Class 10 cards, after using Class 4 all this time! Them fast cards ain't cheap!

Ian
26th April 2012, 11:04 AM
Blimey! And here's me thinking that I was really going up-market with my measly Class 10 cards, after using Class 4 all this time! Them fast cards ain't cheap!

The 8GB SanDisk is affordable. I haven't yet found any suppliers selling these really fast cards stocking anything but SanDisk Extreme or Lexar Pro. By the way there are SanDisk Extreme 45MB/sec cards - these are not really much better than standard Class 6 or Class 10 cards in practice.

Ian

broadway
27th April 2012, 08:00 PM
Memory card test http://blog.giuliosciorio.com/?p=654

Strange that the 45mb is slower than the 30mb

George Dorn
27th April 2012, 09:56 PM
The only given for memory card performance appears to be that the 'X' in, for example, '166X' is 150Mb/s. Other than that, you need to look carefully at the specs for the card, since read speeds are often higher than write speeds.

In the case of the SanDisk Extreme Pro card, the read speed is rated at up to 95Mb/s and the write speed is up to 90Mb/s. If a manufacturer is less forthcoming with the ratings for their cards then I would assume that there is a bigger gap between read and write speed. Toshiba are pleasantly open about their forthcoming range of SD cards, quoting read speeds of 95Mb/s and write speeds of between 90 and 30Mb/s. Why bother with a lower performing card? Well, if you aren't likely to fill the buffer on your camera then you probably won't notice the write speed but still appreciate a fast read speed when it comes to uploading to your machine back at home. (For my part, I like to have time to put the kettle on meanwhile.) The price difference is only likely to be important on a big capacity card, though.

Memory card test http://blog.giuliosciorio.com/?p=654

Strange that the 45mb is slower than the 30mb

Did the test use the same quantity of data? The 45Mb/s card was four times the capacity of the 30Mb/s card.

Incidentally, my EPL-1 used to lock up sometimes with a UHS-1 card so I stuck with my older cards and took the claims of backwards compatibilty with a pinch of salt.

*zzz Ok, Zeberdee...