PDA

View Full Version : How to ....

StephenL
24th April 2012, 09:02 AM
Anyone figured out how to magnify the focus view when a manual legacy lens is fitted? I can do this on my E-P2 but not yet worked it out on the E-M5. And the manual is about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

davidfarquhar
24th April 2012, 11:08 AM
I think I read somewhere you need to assign MF mode to one of the buttons e.g. FN2. I think its pages 92 - 93 of the manual. If only I had one to check :)

Ian
24th April 2012, 11:10 AM
In the Button Function menu I have reprogrammed Fn2 (next to the shutter release) to Magnify. By pressing the Fn button you first get the green box that represents the magnified area (which you can adjust using the front wheel), perss Fn2 again and the view is magnified to that area. Press once more and it toggles back.

It doesn't seem to work first-off while using the EVF, so you need to kind of pre-set it on the main screen, but works in EVF after that. Bit odd that. Try it and you will see what I mean.

Ian

snaarman
24th April 2012, 11:35 AM
Anyone figured out how to magnify the focus view when a manual legacy lens is fitted? I can do this on my E-P2 but not yet worked it out on the E-M5. And the manual is about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

You could post your E-M5 to me. I will see if I can figure it out for you :)

Reminds me of when I was a kid, just starting to tinker with electronics. Aunts and Grandparents would offer me old valve radios. "See if you can fix it, if you can't, you can keep it"

Guess what: I couldn't fix them. Oooh: Take apart. Switch on. Spark. Ouch.

StephenL
24th April 2012, 11:49 AM
Well, it sort of works - sometimes. Sometimes you have to press FN2 a few times before it clicks in. Sometimes when you press the FN2 button it just toggles the info on the screen. And once I got it to give me the option to change the magnification. Which was useful as it was set on 10x by default. Maybe a glitch here!

EDIT: maybe it was rusty through lack of use, but after trying it several times it seems to have settled down to working all the time. I wonder if these buttons need a bit of "exercise" before they are "run in"?

Anyway, thanks Ian.

And Pete .... you can wait for your own toy to play with *smug

Doug H
24th April 2012, 06:11 PM
Am glad I'm not the only one to find this a little odd! I eventually got it to work but still cannot consistently make it happen. I had and still have the same issue with my E-P3 where I seem to get it working a bit more reliably without the VF-2.
I end up pressing the button repeatedly and sometimes it gets there and sometimes it doesn't. It does seem to make a difference what else is in the viewfinder - I often have the level indicator active and this seems to inhibit it working correctly.
I admit to avoiding human subjects with legacy lenses till I've mastered it!

I've also set the camera to magnify when I touch the focus ring on an m4/3 lens - it is consistent here, I need to keep the shutter half depressed at the same time as moving the ring, but that keeps the viewfinder IS working which is a HUGE improvement on being sure of focus

StephenL
24th April 2012, 07:02 PM
I too thought it migh be related to the viewfinder display, but couldn't pin it down. I'll see how it works next time I fit a legacy lens.

And yes, I have the same settings as you for manual focus on m4/3 lenses.

I suppose we should accept these quirks as a) we try to understand a new camera and/or b) being early adopters, glitches are gradually ironed out through firmware updates.