PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic leica 25 f1.4 v 20mm f1.7

brianvickers
20th April 2012, 08:57 PM
can anyone advise if the 25mm is better than the 20mm, I'd like a really nice standard prime to go with my E-M5 (not that its arrived yet) but considering trading my 20mm in for the 25....I've always fancied a Leica!

Kiwi Paul
20th April 2012, 09:27 PM
I prefer the 25mm, I had both and kept the 25 but it's twice the price and the 20mm is a very good lens, there's just something about the way the 25 renders the images, they have a certain quality that I like, I also prefer the handling of the 25.

Paul

JonSchick
20th April 2012, 10:30 PM
Unless you want the compactness of the pancake (which is the reason I've kept mine), I think the image quality and additional depth of field control from the 25mm makes it very desirable. On the OM-D, it makes more sense to me than it would on my GF-1 (esp by the time you use the very large lens hood). But being contrary, I'd probably end up buying the Voigtlander Nokton if I was playing in that market!

brianvickers
21st April 2012, 07:17 AM
I've seen prices range from 450 - 600 and there is a D and a DG version both described as summilux - presumable because of f1.4 but whats the difference?

Bikie John
21st April 2012, 08:02 AM
Brian - I think (but am not certain) that the D is big43 and the DG is micro43.

Summilux is Leica's brand name for f/1.4 lenses.

Ciao ... John

broadway
21st April 2012, 05:25 PM
Brian - I think (but am not certain) that the D is big43 and the DG is micro43.

Summilux is Leica's brand name for f/1.4 lenses.

Ciao ... John

You can find a few more definitions here: http://overgaard.dk/leica_definitions.html

Hence the 45mm f2.8 is an Elmarit

DekHog
21st April 2012, 05:44 PM
The biggest problem to me is that the 20mm focus speed is as slow as a slug on any body..... I have it and love the images from it, but truly hate the speed of it and am considering changing it for a 25mm, even though that's not a pancake......

StephenL
21st April 2012, 07:18 PM
Actually Derek the 20mm focusses quite quickly on the E-M5. That's not to say I'm not lusting after a 25mm though ...

Bikie John
22nd April 2012, 10:31 AM
The biggest problem to me is that the 20mm focus speed is as slow as a slug on any body..... I have it and love the images from it, but truly hate the speed of it and am considering changing it for a 25mm, even though that's not a pancake......

I've not found that Derek - I use it (20/1.7) on a GF1 and it's fine. And a lovely lens, as you say.

Ciao ... John

brianvickers
22nd April 2012, 10:37 AM
I'm wondering if Olympus will release a 25mm fast prime in the series of 12mm and 45mm....it would look so much better than a Panasonic on the E-M5 and Pens.

DekHog
22nd April 2012, 04:10 PM
Since the weather is so lousy, I just did a 'touch test' with the 20mm v 14mm on the GF3. Using two points in the frame (near and far) I used the touch to focus and shoot on the same point with both lenses.

The 14mm is so quick you don't even really notice it focussing - you just seem to touch the point on the screen and the shutter clicks instantly. The 20mm takes at least a second to do the same thing (with 'whirrr' sound effect). In photography a second is an eternity!

It's still a great lens, but needs a revamp to give it the silent and quick autofocus of the 14mm. Also quite annoying that the focus speed of the tiny GF3 puts my PL2 to shame. :)

StephenL
22nd April 2012, 05:07 PM
I wonder if there's a quality variant in the 20mm lens? Mine focusses quick(ish) and is virtually silent.

Bikie John
22nd April 2012, 06:17 PM
Just tried it with mine. It does whirr a bit, but not very loudly, and also takes its time focussing from one end of the range to the other, but nothing like a second. I don't recall ever feeling it was a problem (except in low light where anything will struggle). I do tend to pre-focus anyway.

Oly 45/1.8 was roughly the same but quieter in a comparative test.

Ciao ... John