PDA

View Full Version : Webiste critique

sponner
19th April 2012, 01:19 PM
If anyone can spare 5 minutes please have a look at

http://staffordshireimages.zenfolio.com/

It is only a trial at the moment, it seems to work quite well for me so I am thinking of purchasing the service.

I would be very grateful for any criticism of the site as it stands at the moment.

theMusicMan
19th April 2012, 01:37 PM
Yep, I like it... then again I would as I am a long term Zenfolio member and have just renewed again for the 7th year in a row. In my opinion, Zenfolio is undoubtedly the most cost effective and easy to use solution for gallery hosting.

I spotted your front page pic from on here a few days ago.

A few quick pointers:

Not 100% sure on that colour scheme, the light brown text against the darker brown background is a bit straining on the eyes.
On your 'Services' page: don't portray the wrong message! Don't let people know what you don't do, tell them what you do do! I'd remove the reference to not being studio based.
I also think the amount of text you have on that page is too much. Will people read it do you think? Sure, if so... then I'd perhaps put a summary line first indicating the range of services you offer, then put the detail lower down.
For your stock images; I'd put a form of watermark through them to avoid theft. Only on the stock pages though.

There you go... an initial peruse. Oh and if you do decide to sign up with Zenfolio, let me know and I'll pop you across a discount/referral code.

sponner
19th April 2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks for that,

I take your point re the text, Its an included template that I like but maybe it is too subtle!

Point taken re services, Ill redo that.

I thought I had a watermark on the royalty free images ?

The referal code would be handy.

theMusicMan
19th April 2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Sponner

Apologies re the watermark - I only looked at the thumbnails and it wasn't apparent from looking at those. I didn't click on one to look closely and I should have.

The referral code is: 2AF-56T-ZAG

Cheers.

sponner
19th April 2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks John.

Bill Gordon
19th April 2012, 04:51 PM
I think that it is a great way to market or show your GREAT images!!

sponner
19th April 2012, 06:36 PM
i've brightened the text up, hopefully that is mroe readable.

Chevvyf1
19th April 2012, 07:51 PM
If your selling images, how are they indexed for the web engines ?

I know that Clicpic updated within 25 mins most of the time:D if your selling images this is pretty important !

I thought the colours of the girl in the blue hat were AWESOME and being able to view the shot large and still with good colour and detail was great ! :D all the best with it *chr

sponner
19th April 2012, 08:19 PM
Cheers Chevvy.

I anticipate that stock images will still go through the agencies rather thqan direct from my site.

I like the way zenfolio presents images and the purchasing options for event photography etc.

I bought a print just to see how it works, I was very impressed with the speed and the update emails etc.

kidslateinlife
19th April 2012, 08:47 PM
The web host is fine in my opinion, and suitable for the market.

1. Home Page......... Can you slow down the speed of the changing imges, or fix it to show only one image which is corporate?

2.About Page...........A good corporate image of the climbers working together, promotes a team building image, I like this one.

3. Services Page.........This is your main sales page, I think that you need several pictures which demonstrates what you can do for the individuals/companies you are selling to. Perhaps use the changing/ morphing set up for this page

Eg.. Estate Agencies............. Image of a beautiful interior
Company Seminars...........Image of MD at podium.

For each person you target, you should have something that they can relate to.

If you have the images in place, then you can take out the paragraph earlier on about being a new venture, ready to give your time away.
Selling is about confidence, you are a talented crew, don't be ready to give up your time and offer " new venture competitive prices"

By all means, tell people you are competitive, but sell the dream first... Build the illusion in their heads, and then sell yourselves at the meeting's and the price won,t be too much of an issue. You won't get a booking just because you are the cheapest.

I think that the six categories on the services page require larger font sizes than the main body of the following text.

I am in awe of your gut's to put yourself out there. I really hope you dont view my comment's as critique, it's purely an observation of a career in the environment.

Best regards and the sincerest best of luck................Alan

sponner
19th April 2012, 09:34 PM
greeat feed back, thanks.

Home page, the slide show is customisable, I likde the idea of a rolling few pics to add interest, Ill play around with the settings.

Services, I see your point. I'll find out if that can hold a slide show and shoot some images to illustrate the categories. I've upped the font size for titles, good call.

I'll work on the wording for the rest. In truth i am a start up with some like minded individuals so price will be a selling point until I (we) get established. The idea is to grow a business while I am still full time at the day job so it can take up the slack in 2018 when i retire.

the featured artist thing is a way of spreading the cost and, for many jobs, two pairs of hands are better than one.

sponner
29th April 2012, 10:18 PM
John (Musicman) thanks foe the referal code, saved me 15

Chevvyf1
30th April 2012, 04:44 AM

3. Services Page.........This is your main sales page, I think that you need several pictures which demonstrates what you can do for the individuals/companies you are selling to. Perhaps use the changing/ morphing set up for this page

Eg.. Estate Agencies............. Image of a beautiful interior
Company Seminars...........Image of MD at podium.

For each person you target, you should have something that they can relate to.

If you have the images in place, then you can take out the paragraph earlier on about being a new venture, ready to give your time away.
Selling is about confidence, you are a talented crew, don't be ready to give up your time and offer " new venture competitive prices"

By all means, tell people you are competitive, but sell the dream first... Build the illusion in their heads, and then sell yourselves at the meeting's and the price won,t be too much of an issue. You won't get a booking just because you are the cheapest.

I think that the six categories on the services page require larger font sizes than the main body of the following text.

Best regards and the sincerest best of luck................Alan

Alan has given some of the BEST advice I have seen on this :D

I would add 1.
Because People either READ WORDS or see/read by PICTURES have both for each Service - as Blogs have a column of words with KEY words in BOLD eg Event locations and highlight Events, Wedding venues highlight wedding ... today people are in such a hurry :rolleyes: they dont actually read but quickscan and if they are a reader of words and see pictures - you lose them! or vice versa ...

2. SPELLING ! Drives many people who want accuracy & quality NUTZ ! ask three or four people to "Nit pick on spelling for you" before going live.

I think your objective shall be well met ! What a great idea "showing your a Team or Individuals" - Local Authorities are under pressure to "PROVE" with photo evidence what they do/give back - don't forget Local Health Authorities too (send them a Press Pack and your local Radio & TV and Papers for Launch Day "Embargoed" - wedding venues too etc., :eek:

Looking forward to hearing how it is going :D

xp1
2nd May 2012, 12:43 PM
Most of the negative or not so negative points have been picked up. One problem I had was the large images taking too long to open up but that may be on my side. I quite like the whole layout and with a tweak here and there every so often it should work well for you. If you have not signed for a web package yet the take a look at the link here

http://www.xp1photography.com/links-2

These are the people I signed up with and for 100 per year you get everything you need plus a lot more.

I am glad to see you have had some response to your thread as I only had one person reply to mine when I asked for critique though a hell of a lot of members took a look. I decided not to sell direct from my site and am still working on it so I hope everything goes well with yours.

sponner
2nd May 2012, 06:08 PM
Cheers for that although I have taken the pluinge with zenfolio, see how it goes and now jus tneed to get it looking right.

Initila impression sf your site are good (I can't see where its hosted btw)

xp1
2nd May 2012, 07:18 PM
On that links page there is a link saying click here for web hosting. Take a look at the offers and prices. It is actually i page and they are very good. I have a site template I built which like your's allows me to sell direct but I chose not to get involved and find it better paying a fee per sale. Less money but easier in the long term. I may use it one day but I doubt it.

sponner
2nd May 2012, 11:06 PM
\Gotcha!

Although I have to say I'm very happy with zenfolio atm (early days yet).

The ability to have multiple log ins, fine art printing, sell digital copies etc "straigth out of the box" appeals.

maccabeej
3rd May 2012, 11:48 AM
Get your own domain name. A .co.uk for instance costs 6 or 7 from 123reg and Zenfolio tell you how to get it pointed at your Home page.
Jim

sponner
3rd May 2012, 04:21 PM
Cheers,

I am workingon that, just haven't got round to sussin gout the best deal for name and email with possibly a small amount of hosting for a landing page.