PDA

View Full Version : Eye-Fi card in a proper camera is so much better than that iPhone!

Cathrine Stephansen
15th April 2012, 09:54 PM
I post a lot of silly images of the dog doing what the dog does best (being silly...) to Facebook for my friends to laugh at, but lately I've gotten fed up with the horrible quality of the iPhone's camera.

So, based on a tip from someone on the web, I now carry the XZ-1 around (a lady goes nowhere without a handbag :D) with an Eye-Fi card in stead. It works absolutely great! The card, once it's been set up works well and uploads even RAW images to the iPhone and to the web, so they can be shared. To ease up on the storage capacity of the phone, I shoot JPEGs now (not for other things of course) :eek::eek::eek:, but even if I don't shoot RAW for these, just using a real camera means you get better images than on the iPhone.

Tip shared!

blaggard
16th April 2012, 08:26 AM
Presumably you are using an E-5? Eye-Fi cards are (currently) SD only and most people attempting use with a a CF-SD adapter are having problems. . . . .

Mrs T
16th April 2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for this. Yesterday I posted a picture of my niece to facebook, via my XZ-1, dropbox, my HTC desire HD and Instgram! Phew! :rolleyes:

Amanda

Ian
16th April 2012, 11:57 AM
Presumably you are using an E-5? Eye-Fi cards are (currently) SD only and most people attempting use with a a CF-SD adapter are having problems. . . . .

She is using her XZ-1, which is a compact Olympus with a high quality f/1.8 zoom lens (the only Olympus non-interchangeable lens compact camera to be awarded Zuiko status) and it uses SD cards. It's not a Pen or an E-System camera but it is compatible with some Accessory Port modules like the VF-2 and VF-3 viewfinders developed for Pens.

Ian

Cathrine Stephansen
16th April 2012, 01:47 PM
She is using her XZ-1, which is a compact Olympus with a high quality f/1.8 zoom lens (the only Olympus non-interchangeable lens compact camera to be awarded Zuiko status) and it uses SD cards. It's not a Pen or an E-System camera but it is compatible with some Accessory Port modules like the VF-2 and VF-3 viewfinders developed for Pens.

Ian

And I love it! I use it all the time, it's so handy and fully manual *HE). It's quite simply a stroke of genius if you like to keep a proper camera at hand for documenting stuff. (I grew up on XA...)

However, I have ordered an EP-L 3 because the XZ-1 has a slight draw-back which is apparent under water, and there is no under water housing for the E-5. The XZ-1 will not focus as quickly as a system camera, and I hear the EPL-3 focuses fast. I want to catch fish :D

Edit to add: This little beauty of a camera can also operate Oly FL flashes in RC mode, the flashes are fully synchronised when attached to the hot shoe/accessory port. I can also use the Pen microphone for better video sound, but the video of the XZ-1 isn't too good.

Cathrine Stephansen
16th April 2012, 02:21 PM
There is of course a danger when using the XZ-1. When you are used to E5 and E3, you don't remember there is something called wet weather. I have drenched the little XZ-1 once, the sensor was actually fogged up! But after a night of drying it was usable again. Rather like me :)

al_kaholik
26th April 2012, 11:14 AM
Eye-fi is something I am missing now I'm using CF cards again. The HTC I have does well for a PnS but I'd really like to get the Eye-fi working again. Does anyone know a definitive CF adapter that it'll work with in an e-410? I looked on the web with little success :(

Mrs T
1st May 2012, 08:24 PM
Hi Cathrine,

I also do the same as you and take pictures on my HTC Flyer for my journal. I have got to thinking that the XZ-1 would be better and as the PenPal isn't supported the Eye-Fi is the way forward. I was wondering what make of card you are using and you have any troubles with the transfers?

Amanda

Cathrine Stephansen
2nd May 2012, 02:29 PM
Hi, Amanda

It's sometimes a bit slow getting the connection between the iPhone and the Eye-Fi card, sometimes it takes a long time for the card to become visible as one of the available Wi-Fi connections for the phone. But once they connect, it's relatively fast. I upload to the phone's image gallery (same folder as the iPhone images) and from there to wherever they're going (e.g. Facebook). The make I use is Eye-Fi.

Mrs T
2nd May 2012, 07:57 PM
Hi Cathrine,

Thanks for the response. There seems to be a few types and a couple of makes to chose from so I'll have a look around for some prices and reviews. It's helpful to know it works with the lovely XZ-1, and I think I can get an app for my Android device.

Amanda