PDA

View Full Version : Photographing Birds in Flight

Phill
15th April 2012, 05:52 PM
Hi all anyone got any tips on photographing birds in the sky against clouds, I would normally have the 40-150 lens on but struggle to get a focus camera just wont allow a picture as it doesn't seem to like photo towards clouds any tips welcome :confused:

Chevvyf1
15th April 2012, 05:58 PM
Hi all anyone got any tips on photographing birds in the sky against clouds, I would normally have the 40-150 lens on but struggle to get a focus camera just wont allow a picture as it doesn't seem to like photo towards clouds any tips welcome :confused:

Phil, depends on the birds you want to capture ... big or small and where ?

If I am off for Red Kites, Buzzards, etc., then its either 50-200 or BIGMA and you need lots of practice ... trying various settings and getting real fast with the focus (manual or AF or CAF)

For any birds, I have to feed them ... to get them where I want them ... like fishing that can mean 10 visits to feed before catching :eek:

ps I am a beginner only my second year into birds :)

Who's_E
15th April 2012, 09:05 PM
Phill,

Somebody may be able to correct me but I think the central focusing point on the E510 is more sensitive than the other two so select that one. Also select C-AF and make sure you track the bird and allow the camera to "work out" how it is flying.

The final thing to try would be the image to capture - RAW or JPEG. Try RAW if the above doesn't work.

Nick

Chevvyf1
16th April 2012, 08:04 AM

Phill, sorry I forgot the first RULE of photographing birds - watch them :eek: they have a flight pattern - then you learn when to take the shot with the light on the head or underneath etc.,