PDA

View Full Version : My first OM-D E-M5 photo

StephenL
13th April 2012, 10:45 AM
OK, so I've not got mine yet. :( But I thought it would be an idea to start this thread, rather than having the forum awash with similar threads in the next few weeks.

I suggest that those of us fortunate enough to receive one of these cameras post ONE of our first photos, taken in the first 24 hours of ownership, with full exif and details of lens used.

Now, who's going first?

timg
13th April 2012, 01:22 PM
...rather than having the forum awash with similar threads in the next few weeks.

Yes, please spare a thought for those of us who can't afford/aren't allowed to buy an EM5! :(

Ross the fiddler
14th April 2012, 02:08 AM
Yes, please spare a thought for those of us who can't afford/aren't allowed to buy an EM5! :(

Yeah, I know what you mean. :( I'm just trying to think up a way (or excuse) to get one. It has to come with a good bonus though, before I could think about it & so far it looks like we Aussies are only going to get the MMF-3 if bought before the end of May.

I'll still be looking forward to seeing everyone's first photos. *yes

Barr1e
14th April 2012, 08:01 AM
After watching someone fondling her OMD, I think I can safely say Olympus have produced a most desirable camera.

It could become the next Apple imo.

Regards. Barr1e

Zuiko
14th April 2012, 08:42 AM
Aaaarrrghhh! Stephen, I thought that somehow you really had got yours! :o

Never mind, it's a great idea and helps build up the anticipation levels. :)

It's a bit like Christmas when even the poor kids can't wait for the rich kids to open their presents! :D

catkins
14th April 2012, 11:05 AM
Of course, as a non-envious, non-prospective OM-D E-M5 owner, I won't watch this thread with interest :p . . . . 'No no,' he says nervously, 'I must wait for the E-7 before succumbing to temptation!'

But I do like watching the competition to who will be first to post that ellusive E-M5 photo. And perhaps more importantly considering that it has 5 axis IS, who is going to post the first E-M5 video? :D

Regards
Chris

Chevvyf1
14th April 2012, 12:14 PM
Of course, as a non-envious, non-prospective OM-D E-M5 owner, I won't watch this thread with interest :p . . . . 'No no,' he says nervously, 'I must wait for the E-7 before succumbing to temptation!'

But I do like watching the competition to who will be first to post that ellusive E-M5 photo. And perhaps more importantly considering that it has 5 axis IS, who is going to post the first E-M5 video? :D

Regards
Chris

As one who said "that is IT the E-5 is my last camera purchase ..." I shall look in to see how all the new Oly OM-D owners are doing ... or rather, what they are doing ... AS I have cancelled my order :( and chanting E-5 4 Me ... :cool:

Ann1e
14th April 2012, 03:53 PM
OK, so I've not got mine yet. :( But I thought it would be an idea to start this thread, rather than having the forum awash with similar threads in the next few weeks.

I suggest that those of us fortunate enough to receive one of these cameras post ONE of our first photos, taken in the first 24 hours of ownership, with full exif and details of lens used.

Now, who's going first?

Well here goes, Stephen - one of my first photos taken in the first 24 hours of ownership!

This is the Church of St Peter and St Paul in the village of Little Gaddesden, Hertfordshire -

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P4140018_-_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=45212)

Taken, obviously, with the OM-D E-M5 -

12-50mm lens, at 12mm
Aperture mode
ISO 250
F8
Exp.B. -0.7

Regards,
Ann1e

George Dorn
14th April 2012, 03:57 PM
Congratulations!

How do you find it handles, then, as a 'regular' kind of user?

Greytop
14th April 2012, 04:32 PM
Did you go for black or silver Ann1e?

Ann1e
14th April 2012, 04:50 PM
Congratulations!

How do you find it handles, then, as a 'regular' kind of user?

It's early days, of course, but I think it is going to be a winner. Certainly everything externally (all the buttons, dials, etc.) seem to work for me. The greatest assets, from my point of view, are the size and weight, as we do a good deal of walking with cameras.

I have to admit limited use so far - today was pretty dull and blustery and I probably wouldn't have ventured out with a camera at all had it not been a 'must', only having picked up the camera late yesterday afternoon and, by the time the battery was charged, it was dark!

Regards,
Ann1e

Ann1e
14th April 2012, 04:51 PM
Did you go for black or silver Ann1e?

I went for the black, Huw.

Regards,
Ann1e

StephenL
14th April 2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks, Ann1e. Somehow I knew you'd be first :)

So you've stopped fondling it, then? ;)

Nice shot - which picture mode was it?

Ann1e
14th April 2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks, Ann1e. Somehow I knew you'd be first :)

So you've stopped fondling it, then? ;)

Nice shot - which picture mode was it?

Thanks Stephen - it was taken in natural picture mode.

Regards,
Ann1e

George Dorn
14th April 2012, 05:38 PM
@ Ann1e:

Today, camera shop Dude said that he had handled one at Focus and found the buttons a bit spongy, presumably because of the weather sealing membrane. What do you think?

Sorry to pester you!

Ann1e
14th April 2012, 05:54 PM
@ Ann1e:

Today, camera shop Dude said that he had handled one at Focus and found the buttons a bit spongy, presumably because of the weather sealing membrane. What do you think?

Sorry to pester you!

To be honest, it's not something that has crossed my mind and I have gone back to the camera specifically because you have raised the point. I can honestly say it is not a problem for me. I guess camera shop personnel get to handle a multitude of cameras and get to like a certain 'feel' - if this is not replicated in another camera, then maybe this is why they make the observation?

Regards,
Ann1e

edmund473
14th April 2012, 06:19 PM
Hello Annie .I don't think I have asked you a question before.I am waiting for my OM-D the question I would like to ask is what reader card did you use?
You being the first to post a photo congratulations regards John.

Ann1e
14th April 2012, 06:46 PM
Hello Annie .I don't think I have asked you a question before.I am waiting for my OM-D the question I would like to ask is what reader card did you use?
You being the first to post a photo congratulations regards John.

Thanks for the congratulations, John - I did put in my pre-order early but I am lucky that we live a short drive from SRS in Watford, so we were able to nip across and pick it up within hours of being notified that stock had arrived. In fact, StephenL was at the top of their list and I was second in line but he has had to await mail delivery! :) for me, :( for him, hehe!

The card reader that both Barrie and I use for all our downloads is the -

Kingston Media Reader - Card reader - 19 in 1 ( CF I, CF II, Memory Stick, MS PRO, MMC, SD, MS Duo, MS PRO Duo, miniSD, RS-MMC, MMCmobile, microSD, MMCmicro, SDHC, miniSDHC, MS Micro, microSDHC ) - Hi-Speed USB

It is quick and easy to use and inexpensive - 9.89 from Amazon.

Regards,
Ann1e

edmund473
15th April 2012, 06:22 AM
Thanks for your reply Annie. looking forward to seeing more photo's from the M-5 I have ordered Lexar 16GB Professional 600x SDHC UHS-I Memory Card for my camera when it Arrives!! regards John.

Phill D
15th April 2012, 06:35 AM
Congratulations Ann1e now you've set the posts going I expect a lot more. The BBC weather says it's going to be nice today so no excuses for not getting out and about.

maccabeej
15th April 2012, 01:01 PM
Just got it. Also bought 12mm, 45mm and 17mm. I am so dead, as the modern parlance goes. I took this one on Jpeg, straight out of the camera. Just an excited snap:D
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/OMD_1st-3.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/45295)
Jim

PeterBirder
15th April 2012, 08:31 PM
Just got it. Also bought 12mm, 45mm and 17mm. I am so dead, as the modern parlance goes. I took this one on Jpeg, straight out of the camera. Just an excited snap:D

Jim

Looks good Jim.
Still waiting for mine to be despatched.*shrug

Regards.

Zuiko
15th April 2012, 09:38 PM
Congratulations Ann1e for being first, and Jim for being second! :D

brianvickers
15th April 2012, 09:54 PM
Congratulations on first posts...Ann1e and Jim!
When whoever has Jacobs order 160 gets their E-M5 then please let me know, because I have order 161 and it means mine will be on its way!

StephenL
16th April 2012, 06:41 AM
Mine is now in Edinburgh depot and should be with me this morning. I'll put the battery on charge then go back to work. Should be photographing tomorrow morning!

Barr1e
16th April 2012, 08:00 AM
Mine is now in Edinburgh depot and should be with me this morning. I'll put the battery on charge then go back to work. Should be photographing tomorrow morning!

:D Just three hours to charge the battery - so if the light is with you when you retire for the evening - *cameraicon

I think it is a beautiful crafted product.

Regards. Barr1e

StephenL
16th April 2012, 08:11 AM
It's just arrived and the battery is charging! As soon as I saw it had reached Edinburgh depot I phoned the driver and he made it first drop.

snaarman
16th April 2012, 08:21 AM
It's just arrived and the battery is charging! As soon as I saw it had reached Edinburgh depot I phoned the driver and he made it first drop.

Grrr, you lucky person :)

Greytop
16th April 2012, 09:06 AM

Nice one Stephen *chr
First impressions?

Ian
16th April 2012, 11:54 AM
Nice to see that cameras are beginning to arrive - in fact... I'm envious as I don't have one at the moment! :D

Ian

StephenL
16th April 2012, 01:00 PM
Well, here's one of the first ones I shot. Taken with the kit lens, in jpeg, which I'm not used to.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/em5-4160010.jpg

First impressions of the camera are favourable, but there's so many settings I need to customize before I feel comfortable with it.

It's smaller than I anticipated. Looking forward to the grip, for although my hands aren't large the controls do feel just a bit cramped.

It has a quality "heft" to it, and the kit lens is better than I expected. However, it seems too easy to knock it from electric zoom to manual and back, though neither is bad. In fact, the powered zoom is quite good, not too sensitive.

The camera buttons, though waterproofed, still have some feel to them. The rear screen is very clear but easily smudged, unless it's just my snotty nose!

edmund473
16th April 2012, 02:58 PM
Another happy man congratulations Stephen.what ISO number? did you use on this lovely shot. regards John.

StephenL
16th April 2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks John - that was using ISO 200, 13mm lens setting, f7.1 at 1/400.

Ozont
16th April 2012, 03:18 PM
Very nice colour in these pictures!
I"m still itching for my E-M5 to show up....waiting....waiting........
:(

Barr1e
16th April 2012, 03:21 PM
Hi Stephen -

Blue skies for the first burst on the camera. :D

The camera has so much inside it for its size. :tup

I think with the grip attached it will transform the feel in one's hands.

Regards. Barr1e

Ann1e
16th April 2012, 03:25 PM
Very nice, Stephen -

Was that a quick sprint around the lake during your lunch break? :)

Regards,
Ann1e

StephenL
16th April 2012, 04:09 PM
Very nice, Stephen -

Was that a quick sprint around the lake during your lunch break? :)

Regards,
Ann1e

Well, I was going to take the morning off to wait for the camera, but it arrived promptly so I put the battery on charge and went back to work for the morning. Took the afternoon off to walk round the pond and this is the result.

Ann1e
16th April 2012, 04:14 PM
Well, I was going to take the morning off to wait for the camera, but it arrived promptly so I put the battery on charge and went back to work for the morning. Took the afternoon off to walk round the pond and this is the result.

Well, I guess one man's lake is another man's pond :D

Regards,
Ann1e

StephenL
16th April 2012, 04:59 PM
Used to get a right roasting from the Dowager for calling it a lake. Mind you, she's Canadian!

DekHog
16th April 2012, 05:45 PM
Well done, Stephen, glad it showed up promptly.... :)

Kees
16th April 2012, 07:56 PM
Congratulations with your new camera everybody!
*chr
And may I be so bold as to suggest that our 113th Salon "In Your Home" would be an excellent place to show off?
*yes*yes*yes

birdboy
16th April 2012, 08:40 PM
That's a great picture Stephen well framed, blue shy, refections good depth of field. What focus point did you end up using?

John

Phill D
16th April 2012, 09:34 PM
I think this thread will be filling up fast. Congratulations guys on your new cams. I can feel your excitement from the posts. It's going to be really interesting seeing you all getting used to them.

Bill Gordon
16th April 2012, 09:59 PM
Used to get a right roasting from the Dowager for calling it a lake. Mind you, she's Canadian!

Well the "Dowager" is right....wot U call a lake we Canadians call a pond!

Zuiko
16th April 2012, 11:10 PM

Surely it's a lochain! Whatever it is, nice piicture. :)

Ross the fiddler
16th April 2012, 11:33 PM
Congratulations for all the new OM-D owners. I'm looking forward to seeing more from your gear as you get used to them & I would like to know what you think of the touch screen shutter release function (of course, EP-3 owners have already experienced it on theirs).

Well the "Dowager" is right....wot U call a lake we Canadians call a pond!

Bill, I live in the Blue Mountains (NSW, Australia), but you would probably call them hills. ;)

Bill Gordon
16th April 2012, 11:39 PM
Congratulations for all the new OM-D owners. I'm looking forward to seeing more from your gear as you get used to them & I would like to know what you think of the touch screen shutter release function (of course, EP-3 owners have already experienced it on theirs).

Bill, I live in the Blue Mountains (NSW, Australia), but you would probably call them hills. ;)

Har, Har dat were a goodun!!*chr

StephenL
17th April 2012, 07:29 AM
That's a great picture Stephen well framed, blue shy, refections good depth of field. What focus point did you end up using?

John

Thanks John. I always just use centre point focus then recompose as required.

snaarman
17th April 2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks John. I always just use centre point focus then recompose as required.

My standard method too. Centre weight metering and exposure lock button on occasions as well? :)

StephenL
17th April 2012, 09:01 AM
I tend to use evaluative metering with exposure compensation based on the live histogram - usually +0.3 as standard, but it looks like the E-M5 might not need that as the metering seems more accurate, based on my vast experience of 25 exposures so far. ;)

snaarman
17th April 2012, 10:10 AM
I tend to use evaluative metering with exposure compensation based on the live histogram - usually +0.3 as standard, but it looks like the E-M5 might not need that as the metering seems more accurate, based on my vast experience of 25 exposures so far. ;)

Ah yes, live histogram is a feature (of the E-PL3) that I appreciate greatly. Why didn't we have this on the old film SLRs?

Ian
17th April 2012, 03:17 PM
I had a good news phone call a little earlier - another evaluation sample E-M5 will be arriving here tomorrow morning! :) I'm also told that this one will only be recalled if there is an emergency.

Ian

snaarman
17th April 2012, 03:35 PM
I had a good news phone call a little earlier - another evaluation sample E-M5 will be arriving here tomorrow morning! :) I'm also told that this one will only be recalled if there is an emergency.

Ian

Emergency!

I haven't got my E-M5 yet...

But seriously: I am still considering switching from body only to camera plus 12-50mm lens option when SRS contact me.

My plan was to use the E-M5 with the adapter and my 4/3 lenses, principally the 14-54. The 12-50 could live on the E-PL3 and everyone is happy.

However some pixel peeking websites give me to believe the 14-54 is the sharper lens (if a load more bulky). Oh, and not buying the 12-50 lens saves a load of money.

Decisions.

Pete

Ian
17th April 2012, 03:48 PM
I think the 12-50 is fine at the wide end and of course it goes to 12 mm, which is noticeably wider. It's not super sharp at 50mm, and the 14-54 certainly out-guns it there. The 12-50 is versatile, though - it has a macro mode and the electric zoom option is great for video. My suggestion is to get the 12-50, see how you get on with it and if you decide you don't need it, sell it on. The lens is discounted a bit when supplied with a body and I'm sure there will be demand from Pen owners for this lens on the second hand market.

Is your 14-54 a Mark 1 or 2? The latter works better with the adapter.

Ian

StephenL
17th April 2012, 03:48 PM
My totally unscientific gawping of 25 jpegs (I can't get on with Viewer 2) shows that the 12-50 is very acceptably sharp. But it's physically surprisingly long.

snaarman
17th April 2012, 03:55 PM
My suggestion is to get the 12-50, see how you get on with it and if you decide you don't need it, sell it on. The lens is discounted a bit when supplied with a body and I'm sure there will be demand from Pen owners for this lens on the second hand market.

Ian

I have the Mk2 14-54 and use it on the E-PL3 regularly, and it produces cracking images :) I would expect it to work just as well, maybe even better on the E-M5, and I think it would balance better once I get a grip (as it were).

As you say, buying the 12-50 to try is a tempting thought: I need to count my pennies and decide.

Pete

MickL
17th April 2012, 05:38 PM
I think the 12-50 is fine at the wide end and of course it goes to 12 mm, which is noticeably wider. It's not super sharp at 50mm, and the 14-54 certainly out-guns it there. The 12-50 is versatile, though - it has a macro mode and the electric zoom option is great for video. My suggestion is to get the 12-50, see how you get on with it and if you decide you don't need it, sell it on. The lens is discounted a bit when supplied with a body and I'm sure there will be demand from Pen owners for this lens on the second hand market.

Ian

I ordered my OM-D with the 12-50 for these very reasons although I'm not sure about the all black combo that I specified. As most of my summer photography is butterflies I will be interested to explore the macro results against my E5/50f2/STF-22.

Could you elaborate in your comment about the 14-54/1. As there are loads of E3s up for sale at the moment I decided to hang back a bit before selling mine. This plan has failed as my 30 year old daughter has really got in to photography so rather than the planned E620 she has "borrowed" my E3/14-54/1 to put her reading in to practice. As the lens did not get a lot of use I bought a used replacement from a fellow forum member just to have in the bag rather than a Mk2. Does your comment refer to function rather than IQ as I have also ordered an MMF-3?

Regards
Mick L

StephenL
17th April 2012, 05:51 PM
The differences between the Mk1 14-54 and Mk2 are small. Perhaps the most important is the focus speed, as the Mk2 is optimised for live-view focussing. However, the Mk1 will auto-focus, just not as quickly. The other area is the shape of the aperture blades. The Mk2 allegedly gives a "nicer" out-of-focus background.

Greytop
17th April 2012, 07:00 PM
Emergency!

But seriously: I am still considering switching from body only to camera plus 12-50mm lens option when SRS contact me.

My plan was to use the E-M5 with the adapter and my 4/3 lenses, principally the 14-54. The 12-50 could live on the E-PL3 and everyone is happy.

However some pixel peeking websites give me to believe the 14-54 is the sharper lens (if a load more bulky). Oh, and not buying the 12-50 lens saves a load of money.

Decisions.

Pete

I must admit to having the same dilemma over the last few days, in two minds whether to contact Chris at SRS and add the 12-50 but so far I have managed to stay strong :D
That is not say that I will not cave in ;)
My thought process is that OK the 12-50 is not a major investment when taken as a percentage of the overall E-M5 package but will I actually use it in preference to the 14-54 MK2 that I have? I keep asking myself that question and the answer is very likely no. The 14-54 MK2 just produces excellent results and I think will be a nice complement to the higher resolution capabilities of the E-M5.
I think I'm going to keep the cash and put it towards the 12 and 45mm primes. At least that is my current plan :D

Bill Gordon
17th April 2012, 07:07 PM
I must admit to having the same dilemma over the last few days, in two minds whether to contact Chris at SRS and add the 12-50 but so far I have managed to stay strong :D
That is not say that I will not cave in ;)
My thought process is that OK the 12-50 is not a major investment when taken as a percentage of the overall E-M5 package but will I actually use it in preference to the 14-54 MK2 that I have? I keep asking myself that question and the answer is very likely no. The 14-54 MK2 just produces excellent results and I think will be a nice complement to the higher resolution capabilities of the E-M5.
I think I'm going to keep the cash and put it towards the 12 and 45mm primes. At least that is my current plan :D

If I were buying the OMD5 I would go that route, this body only and put the money saved into those two primes........good luck to you both with your new camera. Having had it in my hands I know that you both will make yours sing like a canary!!*chr

brianvickers
17th April 2012, 09:01 PM
But the 12-50mm only adds 150 to the price of the E-M5, and its listed as 310 on web sites in the UK...can't be missed for that price! You can almost certainly sell it on for a profit. The 150 saved would only buy a quarter of a 12mm prime of half of a 45mm prime.

I must admit I never really wanted the one I have on pre-order, but I was persuaded by the rep at Focus on Imaging, I've since read reports that are not impressive - but feedback on this site indicates it surprisingly good - I'll keep mine especially if its good at the 12mm end.

Greytop
17th April 2012, 09:24 PM
But the 12-50mm only adds 150 to the price of the E-M5, and its listed as 310 on web sites in the UK...can't be missed for that price! You can almost certainly sell it on for a profit. The 150 saved would only buy a quarter of a 12mm prime of half of a 45mm prime.

I must admit I never really wanted the one I have on pre-order, but I was persuaded by the rep at Focus on Imaging, I've since read reports that are not impressive - but feedback on this site indicates it surprisingly good - I'll keep mine especially if its good at the 12mm end.

I can see both points of view, you could also argue that having the 12-50 would be worthwhile if you ever wanted to sell the E-M5 on, now you have got me thinking again :D;)

But..but... with my 14-54 MK2 sat in front of me here it still doesn't make sense (to me at least). My 14-54 MK2 is faster, sharper, optimised for CDAF and already purchased ;)
Plus I also have the MMF-3 on my desk too.

Ross the fiddler
18th April 2012, 05:35 AM
I can see both points of view, you could also argue that having the 12-50 would be worthwhile if you ever wanted to sell the E-M5 on, now you have got me thinking again :D;)

But..but... with my 14-54 MK2 sat in front of me here it still doesn't make sense (to me at least). My 14-54 MK2 is faster, sharper, optimised for CDAF and already purchased ;)

I'm chewing over possible options (with just a faint hope of buying) & as the 12-50 is only $300 with the body & $500 by itself, I'm thinking it might be best to include it, even though I would probably want to use the 14-54 II (4/3's) lens most of the time (as the MMF-3 is the bonus here in Aus till the end of May). It would be best with the grip (which I would have to buy) on & when wanting to go light, the body without grip together with the 12-50 lens would be ideal for times where minimal weight & bulk are needed.

David Morison
18th April 2012, 06:46 AM
Emergency!

Decisions.

Pete

Although the 12-50mm is only 150 when bought as a bundle with the EM5 my intention is not to go down that road but use my Leica 14-150mm, which is my mainstay and optimised for CDAF. OK it is a lot larger and heavier but as I'm used to regularly carrying around E5 + HLD4 + 300mm f2.8 on a monopod then it's not a big consideration. The 150 saved will go towards the MMF-3.

David

Olybirder
18th April 2012, 08:11 AM
What are your impressions of the MMF-3? I read about someone complaining that he was disappointed with the construction and that it seemed rather plasticky and flimsy compared to the MMF-1. I think he said it was like the MMF-2 with an O-Ring where it connects to the body. I assumed that it would be made from metal, especially considering the price.

Ron

Barr1e
18th April 2012, 08:22 AM
What are your impressions of the MMF-3? I read about someone complaining that he was disappointed with the construction and that it seemed rather plasticky and flimsy compared to the MMF-1. I think he said it was like the MMF-2 with a rubber seal where it connects to the body. I assumed that it would be made from metal, especially considering the price.

Ron

Construction seems very good, verging on superb imo - the body looks like plastic with metal contact plates either end.
It is marked splash proof.
I'm sure Ann1e will enjoy the lightness of the product.

Regards. Barr1e

ps It certainly isn't flimsy.

Olybirder
18th April 2012, 08:27 AM
Construction seems very good, verging on superb imo - the body looks like plastic with metal contact plates either end.
It is marked splash proof.
I'm sure Ann1e will enjoy the lightness of the product.

Regards. Barr1e

ps It certainly isn't flimsy.
Thanks Barr1e. That is good to hear. It certainly doesn't look flimsy in the photos.

Ron

snaarman
18th April 2012, 09:09 AM

My thoughts precisely. I figure if SRS would be happy to sell me a camera+lens rather than a camera only I will spend the extra and try the 12-50. It might be great, the 4/3 kit lenses are great. It would be interesting to see how much faster the AF is compared to the 14-54.

Currently I don't have any m4/3 lenses at all and I use my single MMF1 - so the 12-50 would give me something to put on the front of the E-PL3 (rather expensive front cap I guess).

I have a sneaky plan to make the MMF1 slightly more showerproof by fitting a 54 or 55mm O ring where it meets the E-M5. As I don't plan to remove the adapter too often, the O ring can stay there. I will report on the results :-)

Pete

Ian
18th April 2012, 10:02 AM
The 12-50 is smaller, lighter, has a macro mode, has much faster AF, and much better AF for video. It's also wider at 12mm than the 14-54. So it's not without merit :)

Ian

Ian
18th April 2012, 10:08 AM
Although the 12-50mm is only 150 when bought as a bundle with the EM5 my intention is not to go down that road but use my Leica 14-150mm, which is my mainstay and optimised for CDAF. OK it is a lot larger and heavier but as I'm used to regularly carrying around E5 + HLD4 + 300mm f2.8 on a monopod then it's not a big consideration. The 150 saved will go towards the MMF-3.

David

I think everyone should be under no illusion about Four Thirds lenses being optimised for contrast detect AF compared to Micro Four Thirds lenses (apart from the 14-42 Mk1 and the 17mm pancake) - MFT lenses snap into focus because they have low-inertia optics. FT lenses with CDAF optimisation still have lots of heavy glass elements to push around. These are also a compromise design to accommodate CDAF and DSLR Phase Detect AF. I urge anyone to compare the AF performance of comparable MFT and FT lenses on an MFT body.

Ian

Ian
18th April 2012, 10:09 AM

Exposing to the right :) Probably a good strategy!

Ian

StephenL
18th April 2012, 10:11 AM
The 12-50 is NOT a bad lens. Maybe not up to 14-54 or 12-60 standards, but NOT a bad lens. As I've said before, there's a certain amount of snobbery going about on other forums. Disregard them! And even the power zoom is good to use, and I never thought I'd hear myself saying that!

Olybirder
18th April 2012, 11:04 AM
Do any of the proud, new OM-D E-M5 owners have an M. Zuiko 75-300 or Panasonic 100-300 lens? I Would be very interested to see any photos taken at 300mm and to hear their opinions of the combination. Shots of birds would be especially welcome. :)

Ron

Ian
18th April 2012, 11:19 AM
Do any of the proud, new OM-D E-M5 owners have an M. Zuiko 75-300 or Panasonic 100-300 lens? I Would be very interested to see any photos taken at 300mm and to hear their opinions of the combination. Shots of birds would be especially welcome. :)

Ron

Hi Ron, presumably you have seen the shots I posted on FTU?

Ian

Olybirder
18th April 2012, 11:30 AM
Hi Ron, presumably you have seen the shots I posted on FTU?

Ian
I have found them now. Thanks.

Ron

Ross the fiddler
18th April 2012, 12:05 PM
I think everyone should be under no illusion about Four Thirds lenses being optimised for contrast detect AF compared to Micro Four Thirds lenses (apart from the 14-42 Mk1 and the 17mm pancake) - MFT lenses snap into focus because they have low-inertia optics. FT lenses with CDAF optimisation still have lots of heavy glass elements to push around. These are also a compromise design to accommodate CDAF and DSLR Phase Detect AF. I urge anyone to compare the AF performance of comparable MFT and FT lenses on an MFT body.

Ian

I get your point here, but would the extra battery in the grip give any advantage (less voltage drop) when using the (CD-AF optimised) 4/3's lenses as is percieved with the HLD-4 (which of course wouldn't make up for lightness & focus speed of the M4/3's lenses). If I get the EM-5, I would probably go for the 12-50 anyhow to be the first M4/3's lens in my kit & then any further lens additions would also be M4/3's too (although I still wished I could've had the 50-200 SWD lens in my 4/3's kit).

Sorry if this is distracting from the original intent of this thread.

maccabeej
18th April 2012, 12:21 PM
I would agree, my e620 was always set on-0.3. When I tried it with the E-M5 it was underexposed. Now set to zero.
Jim

Greytop
18th April 2012, 06:36 PM
The 12-50 is smaller, lighter, has a macro mode, has much faster AF, and much better AF for video. It's also wider at 12mm than the 14-54. So it's not without merit :)

Ian

You're very persuasive Ian :):D

dko22
25th April 2012, 08:53 PM
The 12-50 is NOT a bad lens. Maybe not up to 14-54 or 12-60 standards, but NOT a bad lens. As I've said before, there's a certain amount of snobbery going about on other forums. Disregard them! And even the power zoom is good to use, and I never thought I'd hear myself saying that!

Thanks to Stephen, I had a chance to look at this lens as well and I couldn't so far see much wrong with it. Now I notice that PC mag not only say the E-M5 is the best CSC available, they even enthuse over the 12-50 so perhaps some of the initial mediocre press is starting to balance out

David