PDA

View Full Version : Street boys

shirley
2nd June 2008, 06:03 PM
On Saturday I went to St Albans to take pics of the cathedral.
On the way home I took a street shot and these two 'young men' accosted me. The conversation went something like this

'aye, you, what you taking pictures for?' 'Its my hobby, do you want to see the picture I have just taken?' 'Oh is it? Yeh, are we on it?' 'No I dont think so, would you like me to take a picture of you?' 'Oh yeh, cool man'.

They let me take two and the disappeared very quickly. I like this one - my first real street shot. You can probably tell which was the mouthy one, but I have to say I rather liked the boys and they made me smile, they were trying to be so hard and intimidating and yet they had lollies sticking out of their mouths!!!

This is my first real attempt at street photography so I would apppreciate some constructive critique. Thank you

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/507/medium/Street-boys.jpg

Shirley

E-P1 fan
2nd June 2008, 06:30 PM
Way to go Shirley - better and better stuff - congrats on the compo *chr

Zuiko
2nd June 2008, 07:56 PM
I absolutely love the crop you've selected, it has resulted in a dynamic image, full of energy and perfectly capturing the personalities of the the two lads! :)

Hmmm, I wonder if the theme for your ARPS panel might be "Street Life?" :D

John

theMusicMan
2nd June 2008, 08:19 PM
Shirley - your presence here is an inspiration to me, and I am totally enjoying everything you post. I read that you have only been 'into' photography for a very short time, but in that time have accomplished and achieved so much. You really do have a natural eye for photography.

Please do keep posting your pictures, as I for one am delighted to try to see what you see, to vision in my minds eye how you vision an image.

You can be a great help to all here. Thanks.

sapper
4th June 2008, 08:55 AM
It just shows that we need not fear youngsters as parts of the media would have us believe.
Nice shot Shirley.

HughofBardfield
5th June 2008, 11:50 AM
Smashing shot! Love the tight crop.

Nice to see they were drinking Lilt rather than Special Brew (or whatever noxious fluid people favour these days!). Not all young people are hooligans - even if they'd like you to think they are!

shirley
5th June 2008, 11:58 AM
Thank you for all the kind comments.
I totally agree with Sapper and Hugh. I think they wanted me to be intimidated initially but when I spoke back to them politely I think it was them who were intimidated:D
Working with youngsters of a similar age I know that most of them will have a very civil conversation with you if you speak to them without patronising and they can be a lot of fun.