PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone

Jim
30th November 2007, 07:41 PM
A big hello to everyone here.

Have been around a few days and already feel most welcome and wow what a friendly group :)

Well I have been a C-5060, C-8080 & E-1 owner before trying the darker side of DSLR, Canon 30D & 40D (very briefly) Nikon D70s and D200.

Very much regretted parting with my E-1 purely on the wave of mega pixel chasing, but was nevet truely comfortable with either Canon or Nikon and have spent the last 2 years waiting for the E-2 to come, nothing, nothing then suddenly the E-3 was here:D

Funny really because the Canon 40D didn't last 24 hours as the day it arrived was the day the Americans started getting their E-3's and after that the 40D was history. Not that I am saying that there is anything wrong with the Canon and Nikon offerings, Just that I feel that Olympus makes cameras that you have a relationship with rather than just a tool to take photos!

I am really chuffed to be back with Olympus and wow what a camera the E-3 is. Just needing to rebuild my Olympus Kit now:)

emirpprime
30th November 2007, 10:35 PM
Wow, a close call you had there! Welcome back to Olympus, and the forum too :) Glad you have seen the light. I totally agree about Oly camears being more than just a tool, there's a real feel involved in both the camera and pictures.
Look forward to seeing you and some of your pictures around.
All the best,
Phil

Ian
1st December 2007, 11:22 AM
A big hello to everyone here.

Have been around a few days and already feel most welcome and wow what a friendly group :)

Well I have been a C-5060, C-8080 & E-1 owner before trying the darker side of DSLR, Canon 30D & 40D (very briefly) Nikon D70s and D200.

Very much regretted parting with my E-1 purely on the wave of mega pixel chasing, but was nevet truely comfortable with either Canon or Nikon and have spent the last 2 years waiting for the E-2 to come, nothing, nothing then suddenly the E-3 was here:D

Funny really because the Canon 40D didn't last 24 hours as the day it arrived was the day the Americans started getting their E-3's and after that the 40D was history. Not that I am saying that there is anything wrong with the Canon and Nikon offerings, Just that I feel that Olympus makes cameras that you have a relationship with rather than just a tool to take photos!

I am really chuffed to be back with Olympus and wow what a camera the E-3 is. Just needing to rebuild my Olympus Kit now:)

Welcome Jim! We have several refugees from other brands (dlinney has been a serious Canon user though he will retain his 5D for specific uses, Bearded Wombat is switching from a D200, for example). There is mostly nothing wrong with other brands (which users of other brands too often forget!) but in the end you will work best with what you personally find the most comfortable to use.

Ian

sapper
1st December 2007, 03:32 PM
Thought I should introduce myself to the list.
Just took early retirment so have time on my hands:rolleyes:
I have used Oly since the OM1. Used others too, Bronica, Rollie & others.
Stopped taking serious stuff in the 80's, got a small oly digicam some time ago and my interest was rekindled. Got the E300 the day it came out in the UK. Then a refurbished E1 + new E330. The E300 went to my son now use the E330 mainly. I use lenses from 7-300mm, birds, landscape, travel & whatever takes my fancy.
I shoot in RAW and use Lightroom on a Mac, don't have PS but may get PS Elements in the future I also have started using Photomatix for HDR stuff, I do like it.
Looking forward to using my own E3. I will sell on the E1 and keep the E330 as backup.
I live in Kent so if there are any other Oly users in the county, maybe we could have a meet from time to time. I did that with another forum and made some good friends, even went to Italy for a weekend meet:)

Dave.

Bo_Nydahl
3rd December 2007, 07:46 AM
Welcome Dave. We all have toyed with the dark side but now we see the true light with Olympus............must put more water in this drink.

Mike

PeterD
3rd December 2007, 09:29 AM
Stopped taking serious stuff in the 80's, got a small oly digicam some time ago and my interest was rekindled. Got the E300 the day it came out in the UK. Then a refurbished E1 + new E330. The E300 went to my son now use the E330 mainly. I use lenses from 7-300mm, birds, landscape, travel & whatever takes my fancy.
I shoot in RAW and use Lightroom on a Mac, don't have PS but may get PS Elements in the future I also have started using Photomatix for HDR stuff, I do like it.
Looking forward to using my own E3. I will sell on the E1 and keep the E330 as backup.
I live in Kent so if there are any other Oly users in the county, maybe we could have a meet from time to time. I did that with another forum and made some good friends, even went to Italy for a weekend meet:)

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the community. The E3 and this user group make a very good combination.
I too took early retirement with the dream of lots of spare time but in reality I am finding that demands on my time increased and I could not imagine how I could have found the time to go to work!

PeterD

beardedwombat
3rd December 2007, 10:02 AM
Welcome Jim! We have several refugees from other brands (dlinney has been a serious Canon user though he will retain his 5D for specific uses, Bearded Wombat is switching from a D200, for example). There is mostly nothing wrong with other brands (which users of other brands too often forget!) but in the end you will work best with what you personally find the most comfortable to use.

Ian
Hi Jim and welcome.
As Ian says, and like yourself, I have migrated from a D70s then D200 to Olympus. I bought an E-510 as a travel camera and loved it. Sold all my Nikon gear and bought the E-3. Don't regret it at all!
Cheers
Chris

art frames
3rd December 2007, 12:21 PM

Dave.

Dave

It was good to meet you at the launch event. I think that Kent is a bit too far for me but if you get a bit further north then I'm sure we could have a day of bird photography. I have been shown a good spot for Red Kite near Aylesbury. Mind you with your lens you may not need to get as close as me!

best wishes

Peter

theMusicMan
3rd December 2007, 12:34 PM
A big welcome Jim, and I am sure you're going to love the E-3 - it's awesome. Not saying Canon or Nikon are not, of course they are great too, but we love Oly here!

Incidentally, are you going to purchase the body only, or are you going to get a lens with it? I might be looking to purchase the 12-60mm as a direct replacement for my 11-22 and 14-54. Not sure yet, but if I do then they will be up for sale soon...