PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Head for my monopod

Benedict
10th April 2012, 03:36 PM
I am thinking about buying the Manfrotto 679 monopod from EBay for use wiith my 'Bigma' rather than using my Manfrotto tripod. I don't particularly want to pay a fortune until I am sure the bigma is for me.

Question. Is this tripod the right choice for use with this lens?

Question. - What Head would be the most appropriate to use with the above.

Thanks in advance for all advice,help

peak4
10th April 2012, 06:24 PM
Assuming you already have quick release head for your tripod, the obvious monopod head to go for, is the Manfrotto 234rc as it's likely to share the same plate.

DerekC
10th April 2012, 06:44 PM
679 has a load capacity of 10 Kg so on spec is more than enough for the Bigma and body. I use the 681 which is more sturdy but more expensive.
The 234RC head is very good with quick release plate, I use one along with the 681.
If your tripod has a quick release plate 234RC is a good choice.

marsta
10th April 2012, 07:52 PM
Hi.

I think the monopod will be fine, not so sure about the head though.

I use an 079 (predecessor to the 679 I think) and 234RC head with my gripped E3 and 50-200 (with EC14) and it seems OK to me but I guess the Bigma is a bit bigger and heavier.

I can see an 079 with 234 head on Ebay (3 days to go) for not a lot of money, might be worth a punt?

Cheers
Mark

benvendetta
10th April 2012, 08:21 PM
Do you really need a head on a monopod? I thought I did and used one for a while but it made everything too bulky and I haven't used it since.

marsta
10th April 2012, 08:31 PM
I like the versatility of the quick release plates on mine (I have 2 both with 234RC heads) and like the tilt head which I generally tilt sideways a bit for effect.

Cheers
Mark

DerekC
10th April 2012, 09:31 PM
I think the monopod will be fine, not so sure about the head though.

I use a 234RC head with E-5 and 90-250 with no problems.

]Do you really need a head on a monopod? I thought I did and used one for a while but it made everything too bulky and I haven't used it since.

I initially didn't use a head on my monopod, but now like the advatage of being able to remove the monopod quickly. Also with the 234RC you can tilt the lens up or down easily

Chevvyf1
11th April 2012, 08:48 AM
I am thinking about buying the Manfrotto 679 monopod from EBay for use wiith my 'Bigma' rather than using my Manfrotto tripod. I don't particularly want to pay a fortune until I am sure the bigma is for me.

Question. Is this tripod the right choice for use with this lens?

Question. - What Head would be the most appropriate to use with the above.

Thanks in advance for all advice,help

I used a monopod one day with bigma - the problem is carrying it ! NOW I use a chest pod :) it has a neckstrap and an "arm" that rests on my chest or a fence post ...

BEWARE BIGMA is KNOWN for SLIPPAGE and the pin MAY RELEASE the lens from the body - there are quite a few posts on this ... I think Ozzie and PeterD 3rd 1/4 of 2011 ... :eek:

I NOW keen BIGMA in a long telephoto carry case around my neck because of this :D

Benedict
11th April 2012, 02:19 PM
Thank you all for your reponses - I did look at the 2234rc,which some of you suggest,so I may go down that route.

Chevvyf1 thanks for the info - I have seen this set up before,but it doesn't suit me due to major surgery around the stomach area.

Imageryone
12th April 2012, 11:14 AM
Something to add?

I tried a monopod, but found they have a tendancy to twist with big weights on them.

I now use a Manfrotto 190XDB tripod and 460MG head with two legs extended. If the tripod is adjusted correctly, this is very fast and gives great horizontal stability. great for sports togging.

Chevvyf1
12th April 2012, 11:57 AM
Something to add?

I tried a monopod, but found they have a tendancy to twist with big weights on them.

I now use a Manfrotto 190XDB tripod and 460MG head with two legs extended. If the tripod is adjusted correctly, this is very fast and gives great horizontal stability. great for sports togging.

I found the monopod was "not man enough for the job" that Bigma lens weighs in VERY heavy !

I now have Benbo Tripods and Giotto MH 5001 which gives full 360 degrees every which way but loose ...

DerekC
12th April 2012, 03:13 PM
Something to add?

Your statement would suggest you were not using a Monopod suitable for the camera lens combo.

I use a Manfrotto 681B and 234RC with E-5 + grip + 90-250mm weighting in at approx 4.5kg considerable more than a Bigma at 1.97 Kg + body.
I haven't suffered any problem not bending or twisting.

Shotting mainly motorspaort and find the monopod suits the task.

Benedict
12th April 2012, 04:19 PM
Your statement would suggest you were not using a Monopod suitable for the camera lens combo.

I use a Manfrotto 681B and 234RC with E-5 + grip + 90-250mm weighting in at approx 4.5kg considerable more than a Bigma at 1.97 Kg + body.
I haven't suffered any problem not bending or twisting.

Shotting mainly motorspaort and find the monopod suits the task.

Hmm I wasn't aware that the combo might bend or twist. Since I am not sure that it is the correct combination,I will for the time being go along with using my Manfrotto PRO190B tripod and see how it copes.

Thank you for all your views,they are much appreciated.