PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 hen shot this afternoon

Ian
3rd April 2012, 06:23 PM
http://fourthirds-user.com/files/forum/e-m5/P4030059.jpg

Unfortunately the sun had been swamped by clouds by the time I took this while comparing the E-M5 with a Panasonic GH2 for a mega thread on http://fourthirds-user.com

This is taken with the 75-300 at ISO 1600, processed from RAW in Viewer 2 and then exported to LR4 for finishing off and is only about a quarter of the original frame.

The workflow in absence of official E-M5 support in Lightroom makes me think this does look a bit too contrasty, but it's very sharp :) And who worries about noise at ISO 1600 any more? :D

Ian

PS Another thing regarding colour in these shots: this hen was only collected from an ex-battery rescue centre on Saturday so the colour in her comb and wattles is still abnormally pale, not the rich red that they are when these hens are in good condition. She's also been pecked and has some minor injuries by some of the other hens as is the usual case when the 'pecking' order battle in a new situation like this happens.

StephenL
3rd April 2012, 06:49 PM
Wonderfully clear. You're smitten with this lens, aren't you, Ian?

Ian
3rd April 2012, 07:20 PM
Wonderfully clear. You're smitten with this lens, aren't you, Ian?

Not really - someone asked me to compare it with the Panasonic 100-300, which is why I took this picture. I thought it was too expensive when it first came out, but it's cheaper now and I do think it performs very well at 300mm :)

Ian

StephenL
3rd April 2012, 07:24 PM
And what are your conclusions compared with the Panasonic? You're right, it's not a cheap lens. But I'm impressed with the results you're showing from it.

Greytop
4th April 2012, 12:08 AM
And what are your conclusions compared with the Panasonic? You're right, it's not a cheap lens. But I'm impressed with the results you're showing from it.

I would also be interested to hear your thoughts compared with the Panasonic :)

Ian
4th April 2012, 01:06 AM
Here's a start:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10822

Ian

Ian
4th April 2012, 01:08 AM

The 75-300 on the E-M5 *seems* sharper than the 100-300 on the GH2, but with just a couple of shots to compare so far it's too soon for a final verdict.

Focus speed is fairly similar, but the E-M5 seems to focus faster if the subject is nearer than the last focused distance. It seems the E-M5 looks closer first. But both cameras and lenses are fast.

Ian

OlyPaul
4th April 2012, 07:09 AM
It's very contrasty for a cloudy day Ian, most of the detail has gone in the light areas, what contrast setting did you have the camera on or was it overexposed?

Still a fair bit of noise in the background especially for a web size image but very fine noise .

I think until we see some raw's processed in a decent converter such as LR or CO6 we are not going to see what this camera is really capable of.:)

Ian
4th April 2012, 07:22 PM
Hi Paul - the problem is in the RAW processing somewhere. I just don't feel that Viewer 2 is doing a good job with these files. I think RAW Therapee does better with fine details but it's a devilishly complex program and I have trouble getting good colour.

The noise filter was set to off in the processing and sharpening to -2. From memory, I didn't use any additional noise reduction in Lightroom after exporting from Viewer 2. And this was ISO 1600 of course.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
4th April 2012, 10:15 PM
Lots of detail in this pale faced chook & especially considering the crop (not the chooks, but the photo *sarc). I try not to think of how the chicken grew up as I eat it, but I hope this hen gets some healthy colour into her face soon. We have a few hens (we only eat their egs) that will escape their pen to scratch up our garden if we haven't fed them enough.