PDA

View Full Version : EM5 Focus Speed with 4/3 Lenses

timg
2nd April 2012, 03:40 PM
Just seen this video over on "that rumour site" and thought some of you may be interested... shows how the EM5 focuses with various lenses including some 4/3 examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ICfJNokJhMo

Olybirder
2nd April 2012, 04:03 PM
I saw this yesterday. It is quite a useful video and the 4/3 lenses seem to focus quite quickly. However, I would be interested to see how fast the 50-200 is at 200mm. At 50mm it is about the same as the 50-200 and EC-14 on my E-30 at 280mm.

Ron

Greytop
2nd April 2012, 04:24 PM
Interesting, thanks for the link *chr
Certainly not a sports shooters delight (we already new that of course) but fast enough for my general walk around purposes when fitted with the 14-54 MK2.

timg
2nd April 2012, 04:39 PM
I don't know whether I'm setting my hopes a little high but I was a little disappointed with the 14-54 mkII considering it's a CDAF lens...

Greytop
2nd April 2012, 04:46 PM
I don't know whether I'm setting my hopes a little high but I was a little disappointed with the 14-54 mkII considering it's a CDAF lens...

Depends what you are going to use it for, as a general purpose high quality walk-around I think its fine.
It's not much slower than my old Pentax 16-50 was with either a K20D or K-7 bodies which in general terms was perfectly usable.
I've actually used my 14-54 MK2 on my E-PL2 a fair bit and find it perfectly OK.

Of more of a concern to me is whether my 50-200 + EC-14 or 20 is going to be usable with autofocus, if not I'll have to hone my old manual focus techniques from yesteryear (1980s) ;)

Ian
2nd April 2012, 05:15 PM

Imager AF optimised Four Thirds lenses won't be slower on a Micro Four Thirds camera than a Four Thirds one when focusing in CDAF.

But in general these will be slower than Micro Four Thirds lenses because MFT lenses are designed with lower mass elements for less inertia when focusing. The focus motors are also better optimised for CDAF as they don't need to be dual purpose for Phase detect AF.

Ian