PDA

View Full Version : I got my hands on an OMD E-M5 today.Thanks to IaianMacD

PeterBirder
31st March 2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks to a useful post from Iain MacD I went to the Park Cameras OMD "event" today.
I only had to wait a few minutes for the knowledgeable and helpful Olympus rep to be available to give me an excellent run-down of the camera's features and I was then able to try it out for myself with no rush.
The camera handles very well IMO and just feels "right" to me. The build quality is excellent. The little thumb grip which is not too obvious in the publicity shots is an excellent feature. The 12-50mm kit lens which again, in the publicity shots, can look a little large in practice seems perfectly balanced both aesthetically and physically. The EVF performs extremely well compared to the Panasonic G series ones I've looked at.The two control wheels are nicely positioned, both with and without the grip and should be a very useful feature. The two part grip is a very neat device and in practice does not seem to significantly increase the bulk of the camera. The shutter is extremely quiet and at 9fps just purrs.:)
I'm not a great user of Liveview but the OLED tilt screen is a real joy, sharp,bright and viewable over a much larger angular range than previous screens. As someone who has no luck getting much use out of mobile phone touch screens I found the touch screen on the E-M5 really worked well. Having previously thought the use of the touch screen to select focus areas and their size and to trigger the shutter was not something that would appeal to me I actually found it very effective and intuitive and would probably use it in some situations.
This is all very subjective and I of course didn't have time to exlpore all the features of the camera and 12-50 lens. However having had one in my hands to "play" with for a while I have confirmed that I did the right thing in pre-ordering.

The Iceing on the Cake.
Park had a promotion of a free Full Body Case (srp 99.99) for the E-M5 plus 12-50 for anyone pre-ordering at the event. I had a word with the member of staff taking the pre-orders and explained that I had already placed a pre-order with Park a few days ago. He readily agreed to add the case to my order and amended my order straight away.

A very worthwhile day out.

Regards

Barr1e
31st March 2012, 07:49 PM
Ann1e and I also had the pleasure of handling one at SRS Watford this morning.
I think it has great appeal and its weight with both packs on was perfect for Anne. It seems in both landscape and portrait position to have the dials etc just where they should be.
I have rather large hands and will wait until Anne's arrives in a couple of weeks time before considering whether to purchase one - I have to confess I love my E-5 and wouldn't want to desert it. :o :D

I'm pleased you liked it Peter.

Regards. Barr1e

Bill Gordon
31st March 2012, 08:26 PM
I attended a session at Henrys' Camera Store in Toronto today to view the new camera. There were two reps their one from Olympus USA and one from Canada. My comments are that it is a beautiful camera, feels good in the hands , is fast and it is small. For me I am afraid I will stick with the Pen 3 as the new camera is complete with the extra battery and handle far to heavy for me. If I were 10 years younger I would have one but not now. It is the E-5 miniaturized with a lot of extra goodies!

Ozont
31st March 2012, 09:35 PM
I attended the session at Henrys' Camera Store in Toronto today as well, musta missed ya Bill.
I'm totally stoked, I can't wait to get the E-M5 in my hands. It's nice and compact, feels very nice in the hands. I was also very happy when someone asked "...so if I pre-order today, when will I get it?"
and the rep responded " We have a very long standing relationship with Henry's, and therefore they get priority shipments, and large shipments at that, in fact the first shipment allocated to Henrys hasn't all been spoken for yet...." so looks like I shouldn't have wait long considering I ordered 3 or 4 days after Henry's announced it.

maccabeej
1st April 2012, 08:12 AM
Hi Peter
I was at Park Camera yesterday as well, pity I missed you. Just went to have a look but ended up putting my name down. Doubt if I will ever shoot 9fps from Live View but it was impressive! Also I fell in love with the 12mm and 45mm. This could turn out to be an expensive summer.
Jim

PeterBirder
1st April 2012, 09:50 AM
Hi Peter
I was at Park Camera yesterday as well, pity I missed you. Just went to have a look but ended up putting my name down. Doubt if I will ever shoot 9fps from Live View but it was impressive! Also I fell in love with the 12mm and 45mm. This could turn out to be an expensive summer.
Jim

Hi Jim.
Sorry I missed you, it would have been good to meet up again.
All we have to do now is wait for them to arrive, agony.:D

Regards.*chr

Chevvyf1
1st April 2012, 09:58 AM
WoW ! I pre ordered with Park but did not get an invite :( ... could not go anyway as Autism training day @ Holiday Inn ... :eek:

But thanks for everyones real experiences ...