PDA

View Full Version : Hair on sensor

Susan
30th May 2008, 07:19 PM
Hi

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice. We appear to have a hair on one of our camera's sensor (E-510)
The lens has been thoroughly cleaned and it's visible on the sensor when the mirror is locked up.
Can anyone advise on the best way of cleaning this or if it's better to have it done professionally?
The camera's only 6 months old, would this be covered by warranty?

http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/hair/hair.jpg

large image can be found here:
http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/hair/hair_large.jpg

Thanks in advance
Susan

Jim Ford
30th May 2008, 07:59 PM
I recently read on the net a technique that looked good, but I can't remember where. IIRC is was as follows.

Get some clean, new blu-tak and using a clean sharp knife, cut needle shaped slivers off it. Don't touch the sharp end with your fingers. Using forceps, touch the sharp end lightly on the dust speck (in your case, hair) - just bring the blu-tak straight down and off.

I'd use the above process in preference to swabbing, which might just move the hair to a different spot. I'd also make sure the work area is very well lit and use a watchmakers eye-glass. With care, I suspect that it may be possible with a large item like a hair to not even touch the sensor surface - just the hair.

Whatever you try, make sure the battery is a good, freshly charged one, so the mirror doesn't drop down halfway through the process.

Jim

Scapula Memory
30th May 2008, 08:27 PM
I had the same thing on my E1 and a few dust spots. I gave it 3 shots from a rocket blower and that was the job done.

As Jim says use a charged battery. Also hold the camera facing the floor and keep the time the lens is off to a minimum.

Malcolm Cousins
5th June 2008, 10:29 PM
Agree with above. Give it a blow. Usually sorts it.:)

Zuiko
6th June 2008, 12:26 AM
Sorry to hear of this problem, it's not one often encountered by Oly users so there's probably not much expertise on the site for this particular issue.

There's probably a wealth of knowledge, advice and information relating to this subject on some of the Nikon or Canon forums........ ;)

John