PDA

View Full Version : Which lens for holiday

ardvorlich
30th May 2008, 06:11 AM
I am of to Sardinia & Corsica in a few weeks and wonder what lens to take.I have the standard kit lenses and a 25mm pancake on order.Is there an Oly or Sigma lens that you would take.The reason Im asking is if the 25mm dosent look like arriving in time what would anyone look at instead.Thanks in advance . Iain.Oh yeah em sorry taking E410

PeterD
30th May 2008, 07:45 AM
I am of to Sardinia & Corsica in a few weeks and wonder what lens to take.I have the standard kit lenses and a 25mm pancake on order.Is there an Oly or Sigma lens that you would take.The reason Im asking is if the 25mm dosent look like arriving in time what would anyone look at instead.Thanks in advance . Iain.Oh yeah em sorry taking E410

A lot really depends on what sort of photography you intend on your holiday.
I am pretty sure you will get a response if you can let us know.

ardvorlich
30th May 2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks Peter sorry bout that,, makes sense below is my sort of ideas.
I imagined some landscapes obviously but also id like to try some town at dusk shots and night atmospherics (dont know if that made sense meant street ,restaurant etc ).Im told Corsica has lots of high cliffs with encastlements so will try to shot from boat to land .regards Iain.

brob108
30th May 2008, 08:33 AM
I'd squeeze both the kit lenses in (if you can). If you're looking to take mainly landscapes then definitely take the 14 - 42mm lens then (also a nice compact lens too).

Are you looking to buy a new lens too? If you can afford it then I'd definitely recommend the 12 - 60mm SWD. It's got a great range and should cover a lots of bases for one lens on your camera.

Brian

PeterD
30th May 2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks Peter sorry bout that,, makes sense below is my sort of ideas.
I imagined some landscapes obviously but also id like to try some town at dusk shots and night atmospherics (dont know if that made sense meant street ,restaurant etc ).Im told Corsica has lots of high cliffs with encastlements so will try to shot from boat to land .regards Iain.

Iain,

I am not too familiarwith the E410 but, I shall respond in general terms and perhaps someone else can clarify (or correct) my reply to you.

What you are describing as your needs should be well covered by the standard zoom lenses usually described as kit lenses. You have not said which lenses you own but, the 40-150mm kit lens should be adequate for the shots you intend from Boat to shore, allowing you to zoom into areas of interest. A longer focal length would not really be a cost effective for this type of shooting unless the extra reach is required to get more detail. The 17.5-45 kit lens covers the wide angle requirement quite well and would be adequate for your town scenes. Both these lenses I have used with my E500 and have to say I am very impressed with their performance and they do provide overlap and a good focal range between them. In what you have described as your objectives, I would have thought the only thing missing would be a wider angle lens say 12mm or so up. Choose this type of lens carefully. Look at the aperture size range and choose one with as low a max aperture that you can afford.
If you wish, I shall have a look at what is available in this area and make some suggestions but others will probably reply now with better information.
In short, the standard kit lenses are of good enough quality and range to satisfy most needs. Good luck with your decisions and also for your holiday. Hope all goes well for you.

ardvorlich
30th May 2008, 08:49 AM
Once again thanks for the quick reply.My thoughts on the 25mm was that it seemed a bit faster at 2.8 so I was going down the line of faster however I do get confused about speed and focal length when looking at lenses and not sure whats what .I dont know if its worth looking at Sigma or just Oly.Yes I do have 17.5 & 40-150 kits and might need something a bit faster as no IS on 410 Iain.

PeterD
30th May 2008, 09:09 AM
Once again thanks for the quick reply.My thoughts on the 25mm was that it seemed a bit faster at 2.8 so I was going down the line of faster however I do get confused about speed and focal length when looking at lenses and not sure whats what .I dont know if its worth looking at Sigma or just Oly.Yes I do have 17.5 & 40-150 kits and might need something a bit faster as no IS on 410 Iain.

My experience of Sigma lenses (I have the Bigma) is that they are excellant and would have no second thoughts on purchasing them.

Taking you points.
Yes, a brighter lens (lower f number on maximum aperture) is very desirable. As an example, look at the professional range and compare it with the budget range of lenses. Then look at the prices - ouch.:eek:
Zoom lenses in most cases (but not all) have a larger max aperature at the lower focal length.
The 'brighter' the lens, the faster the AF response in low light conditions.
IS is not included in the E500 camera. Provided that you keep the shutter speed up then IS does not matter.
Might I suggest that you invest in a monopod or perhaps a tripod for your trip. The former is cheaper. This will allow you to use slower shutter speeds than taking hand hels shots.

ardvorlich
30th May 2008, 09:19 AM
Cheers Peter .I think monopod will be it as using Ryanair (baggage allowance and all that.)Thanks for all help will start trawling websites for prices.I see what you mean about pro spec prices out of my bracket im afraid .Iain

Steve Lane
30th May 2008, 09:27 AM
I would strongly recommend the Zuiko 11-22mm lens. No doubt there will be lots of opportunity to photograph the narrow alleyways of sleepy medieval towns. This lens at the 11mm end does a superb job in situations like this. At the 22mm end it is great for general 'landscape' and people shots.

I took this lens on a road trip around Greece last year, and it stayed on the camera 95% of the time...superb for classical ruins, seascapes and street photography.

It is not cheap, but worth every penny.

Regards, Steve.

snaarman
30th May 2008, 10:03 AM
I am with Steve on this one. On our last trip to Cyprus I took the 11-22mm and the kit 40-150mm with my E400 ..

http://www.snaar.co.uk/basement/index.html

I didn't miss the gap from 22 to 40, and I like the extended perspective the 11-22 can give you. Plus its a very good lens

Pete

HughofBardfield
30th May 2008, 10:24 AM
I agree with other posters on the 11-22. Excellent lens.

However, I note you say you want something for "dusk shots and night atmospherics". To tide you over until the 25mm arrives, and if you don't mind a bit of manual focus, you might want to consider a legacy lens and an OM- 4/3rds adaptor (3rd party versions widely available on eBay for a few pounds). The ubiquitous Zuiko 50mm f1.8 can be picked up very cheaply and is a good low-light lens, small and light. Another option is the Tamron 24mm f2.5 with Adaptall 2/OM mount. A bit more work is the Hexanon 40mm f1.8, which can be converted to 4/3rds with a bit of work - and is reputed to be one of the sharpest 35mm lenses ever made. Pete (Snaarman) has a guide to the conversion on his website ( http://www.snaar.co.uk/lenses/index.html ).

Prices for these seem to be pretty constant, so if you want to sell after your holiday, you could probably recoup your investment.

ardvorlich
30th May 2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks all.Just seen 11-22 boxed new for 359.00 .This seems good price?
Regards Iain.

Ellie
30th May 2008, 10:33 AM
If your 25mm has arrived by the time you go on holiday I think you'll be more than happy with that and the two kit lenses. If weight is a problem you could carry one or more in your pocket so they aren't counted as luggage allowance, you can put it in your hand luggage after you've checked in. ;)

The E410 is a newer camera than my E400, but even so and without IS I've been able to take indoor and low light pictures by raising the ISO and resting the camera on a beanbag. "Resting" isn't what I do, I actively press the camera into the bean bag to make sure it doesn't move.

Will you be able try taking the same sort of pictures before you go, so you know what will achieve the best results?

Steve Lane
30th May 2008, 11:50 AM
Yes, that is a good price for a new one. IIRC, they usual sell for aroung 500. You may want to check with the seller that the item is in the UK, so that you do not get clobbered VAT & import duty. Also, it would be worth checking the warranty; I think genuine UK stock carries a 2 year warranty and imported stuff 1 year. I guess it depends how important this is to you.

I purchased mine around two and a half years ago, from a dealer in the US and it still worked out cheaper that the UK. The 1 year warranty never bothered me.

Regards, Steve.