PDA

View Full Version : Full resolution OM-D E-M5 samples compared to Pen E-P3, Lumix GH2 and Sony Alpha 55

Four Thirds User
23rd March 2012, 01:58 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Compare back to back sample images with the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Sony Alpha A55 SLT, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 and the Pen E-P3, including ISO range and base-ISO images.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/03/full_resolution_omd_em5_samples_compared_to_pen_ep 3_lumix_gh2_and_sony_alpha_55.php)

Bill Gordon
24th March 2012, 08:33 PM
I was unable to sign in on the other site so I will make my comments here. The various tests shown would indicate to me that the OM D does not come up to the standards of the other cameras tested and in fact the E-P3 (which I have) is probably the better sensor and therefore I should keep it rather than waisting more money on the new body!

I would certainly look forward to other replies to see if I am on the right track!

Phill D
25th March 2012, 06:48 AM
Bill I had a quick look at a couple of these too and first impression was much as yours. I'm sure that can't be right though from all the other buzz on the internet about this camera. I hope we've got the wrong impression as I'm saving up.

Ulfric M Douglas
25th March 2012, 07:37 AM
Bill the e-P3 triumphs in Jpegs but as I'm unable to process the RAW files (I just havent installed the right utility and don't want to disturb my current setup) I can't judge what RAW-users would prefer.
It does make me feel very good about this slew of 12mp-sensor cameras I have lying around at home. :)

I hope we get some discussion going here since quite a few of use can't register on the other forum.

Bill Gordon
25th March 2012, 04:11 PM
Bill the e-P3 triumphs in Jpegs but as I'm unable to process the RAW files (I just havent installed the right utility and don't want to disturb my current setup) I can't judge what RAW-users would prefer.
It does make me feel very good about this slew of 12mp-sensor cameras I have lying around at home. :)

I hope we get some discussion going here since quite a few of use can't register on the other forum.

I have seen some results posted by Ian that dispelled the tests that he gave. I think that the results of tests really do not do justice to the photographic character of the lens & sensor combination. Based on the casual photos Ian posted I would suggest that the OM D will shine gloriously. I have yet to see actual examples that don't shine so ... forget about tests and judge for yourself.

Ian
25th March 2012, 04:43 PM
I was unable to sign in on the other site so I will make my comments here. The various tests shown would indicate to me that the OM D does not come up to the standards of the other cameras tested and in fact the E-P3 (which I have) is probably the better sensor and therefore I should keep it rather than waisting more money on the new body!

I would certainly look forward to other replies to see if I am on the right track!

Regarding the problem signing in - can I help with anything? If you can tell me what the problem was in detail I will try to fix it.

Ian