PDA

View Full Version : Splashproof oddness

Gwyver
21st March 2012, 11:57 AM
For outdoor photographers like myself, living in rainy regions, the announcement of the OM-D EM5 as the first weatherproofed m4/3 camera was most welcome - and I've taken the bait.

However the availability of compatible splashproofed lenses seems more troublesome...
As Panasonic have yet to produce a weather resistant CSC or DSLR - and consequently have no motivation to seal any of their lenses, this leaves only Olympus in this game.
Given that the mZD 12-50mm is the only weather resistant m4/3 lens available and is reported to have less than stellar performance, and that the HG & SHG (splashproofed) ranges of ZD lenses have sub-optimal AF operation on m4/3, it seems that the m4/3 rain-resistant system remains very much a work in progress.

It would be great to have some inkling from Olympus that their future lens roadmap is going to address this issue (e.g. with a good quality telephoto zoom).

Olybirder
21st March 2012, 12:46 PM
Olympus have announced a weather-sealed 60mm F2.8 Macro lens which should be arriving soon. I imagine that they will introduce other weather-sealed lenses in the future.

With regard to the weatherproofing of the OM-D EM5, I was rather alarmed to read in his blog that Robin Wong and his friend both had the EVFs on their EM5s mist up inside when they got wet. I hope that Olympus sort that out before the first production cameras start to arrive. To be fair though, it sounds as if it is moist air trapped inside the viewfinder during construction rather than water getting in from the outside.

Ron

benvendetta
21st March 2012, 12:53 PM
For outdoor photographers like myself, living in rainy regions, the announcement of the OM-D EM5 as the first weatherproofed m4/3 camera was most welcome - and I've taken the bait.

However the availability of compatible splashproofed lenses seems more troublesome...
As Panasonic have yet to produce a weather resistant CSC or DSLR - and consequently have no motivation to seal any of their lenses, this leaves only Olympus in this game.
Given that the mZD 12-50mm is the only weather resistant m4/3 lens available and is reported to have less than stellar performance, and that the HG & SHG (splashproofed) ranges of ZD lenses have sub-optimal AF operation on m4/3, it seems that the m4/3 rain-resistant system remains very much a work in progress.

It would be great to have some inkling from Olympus that their future lens roadmap is going to address this issue (e.g. with a good quality telephoto zoom).

If I ever get the OM-D, it would only be to use the weathersealed 4/3 lenses on anyway (HG and SHG) with a weathersealed adapter of course.
That is assuming that the AF speed is acceptable to me - still waiting for info on this though...............

StephenL
21st March 2012, 01:02 PM
Olympus have announced a weather-sealed 60mm F2.8 Macro lens which should be arriving soon. I imagine that they will introduce other weather-sealed lenses in the future.

Ron

I think we need to bear in mind the uncomfortable plight that Olympus is in financially. I suspect that they would love to develop the OM-D system and associated high-end weather-resistant lenses rather quicker than they can afford in their present climate.

Will the new 75mm lens which was announced at the same time as the 60mm be sealed?

Olybirder
21st March 2012, 01:06 PM
Will the new 75mm lens which was announced at the same time as the 60mm be sealed?
I haven't seen any mention of it, so I don't think it will be. That seems like rather an odd decision if true.

Edit. I have just looked at an Olympus press release and there is no mention of weather-sealing on the 75mm lens. However, they say that the 75mm is great for portrait work (primarily indoors?), whereas the 60mm is ideal for nature photography (outdoors.) It also says that the lenses will be launched by the end of the year 2012, so I was a bit optimistics when I said that they should be arriving soon.

Ron

Gwyver
21st March 2012, 01:54 PM
If I ever get the OM-D, it would only be to use the weathersealed 4/3 lenses on anyway (HG and SHG) with a weathersealed adapter of course.
That is assuming that the AF speed is acceptable to me - still waiting for info on this though...............

Dave,
My point was not only about S-AF being slow when using ZD glass, but also that C-AF is not 'recommended' - which would be a more serious issue for nature photographers.

David M
21st March 2012, 09:57 PM
I haven't seen any mention of it, so I don't think it will be. That seems like rather an odd decision if true.

Edit. I have just looked at an Olympus press release and there is no mention of weather-sealing on the 75mm lens. However, they say that the 75mm is great for portrait work (primarily indoors?), whereas the 60mm is ideal for nature photography (outdoors.) It also says that the lenses will be launched by the end of the year 2012, so I was a bit optimistics when I said that they should be arriving soon.

Ron

Obviously whoever wrote the press release isn't a nature photographer.

David M
21st March 2012, 10:00 PM
Dave,
My point was not only about S-AF being slow when using ZD glass, but also that C-AF is not 'recommended' - which would be a more serious issue for nature photographers.

Maybe the ones who rely on AF.