PDA

View Full Version : GAS Attack!

DekHog
16th March 2012, 08:22 PM
Oh dear, the more I read about and look at the OM-D, the more the GAS syndrome is taking me over! :eek:

As much as I love my E-PL2, the little OM-D just seems to incorporate my whole wish-list of what I'd like improved in my E-PL..... I must resist, I must resist, and if I can't, how to successfully hide it from she who will batter me senseless? *smash

Mind you, I could tell her it cost me 250 and that I'll sell the E-PL2 for 300 and she'd believe me, as she knows diddly-squat about cameras... :D

Zuiko
16th March 2012, 08:32 PM
Oh dear, the more I read about and look at the OM-D, the more the GAS syndrome is taking me over! :eek:

As much as I love my E-PL2, the little OM-D just seems to incorporate my whole wish-list of what I'd like improved in my E-PL..... I must resist, I must resist, and if I can't, how to successfully hide it from she who will batter me senseless? *smash

Mind you, I could tell her it cost me 250 and that I'll sell the E-PL2 for 300 and she'd believe me, as she knows diddly-squat about cameras... :D

Just say it makes sense to trade in the EPL-2 while it is still worth something and that the E-M5 deal at the moment is almost too good to be true, comming with a very expensive grip completely free but for a short time only!

In the past I've often found that treating my wife to something at the same time works too! :D

DekHog
16th March 2012, 09:08 PM
You're right, John, and the little E-PL2 seems to have held it's price relatively well - new and boxed items still selling for more or less what it originally sold at, although apart from focus speed I still believe it's the best of the PEN range all round....

wanderer
16th March 2012, 09:36 PM
Perhaps it should have been called the OM-G.:D

DekHog
16th March 2012, 09:38 PM
om-g as-5........

Despite typing them in upper case, does anyone know why does the forum keep putting my letters in lower case when I post this message???

DekHog
16th March 2012, 09:48 PM
Actually, having just looked at the price E-PL2's have sold for on eBay recently, I'd probably just keep it as a backup.........

Zuiko
17th March 2012, 02:22 AM
Actually, having just looked at the price E-PL2's have sold for on eBay recently, I'd probably just keep it as a backup.........

That's it! Explain to SWMBO that the new camera isn't a replacement, merely a back-up!

Ross the fiddler
17th March 2012, 02:45 AM
I usually get gas from what I eat, but having to explain why I need to spend money on this camera, my stomach just knots up.

Actually, my lovely wife rang me from her school function today to tell me I had won the open photo competition there & I added up the cost of just the lenses (macro & converter, not to mention the body & flash) to achieve that photo (about $1300) & it is not going to be easy to sweet talk my wife into letting me buy the E-M5 any time soon, but I'm going to try when the time seems good.

StephenL
17th March 2012, 07:25 AM
Go for it Derek! Just call it comfort shopping for having a new job! As you well know, I'm addicted to GAS, and there's no known cure - at least not a permanent one.

Anyway, it's on offer for 20 from SRS. Mind you, I think postage might be a bit more expensive ....

DekHog
17th March 2012, 08:41 AM
Go for it Derek! Just call it comfort shopping for having a new job! As you well know, I'm addicted to GAS, and there's no known cure - at least not a permanent one..

It's the L'Oreal effect...... "Because I'm worth it."

I can justify it mentally due to the fact she is off spending 100 getting her hair done today and my ageing locks only cost me 5.10 a pop for a haircut. :D

StephenL
17th March 2012, 11:57 AM
I can justify it mentally due to the fact she is off spending 100 getting her hair done today and my ageing locks only cost me 5.10 a pop for a haircut. :D

You mean that haircut cost you money? :eek:

DekHog
17th March 2012, 12:01 PM
You mean that haircut cost you money? :eek:

Well, at least some people still have the need for a haircut.... :rolleyes: :D

Just about pulling the trigger on Amazon now..... :eek:

StephenL
17th March 2012, 04:16 PM
Well, at least some people still have the need for a haircut.... :rolleyes: :D

Guilty as charged. Anything to save money. Just a quick rub with Pledge every so often. :D

DekHog
17th March 2012, 05:11 PM
Just out of interest, is anyone ordering the 12-50mm with the OM-D body? I'm a bit torn, but it's by far the cheapest way to get 12mm and the weatherproofing goes along well with the camera - plus buying it with the body makes it seem a bit of a bargain..... why are things never easy? :D

David M
17th March 2012, 05:51 PM
Just out of interest, is anyone ordering the 12-50mm with the OM-D body? I'm a bit torn, but it's by far the cheapest way to get 12mm and the weatherproofing goes along well with the camera - plus buying it with the body makes it seem a bit of a bargain..... why are things never easy? :D

It's to slow for me. If I get an EM-5 instead of the E-5 I was planning on buying I'll get the MMF-3 and use my 4/3 glass and MF prime lenses with it.

StephenL
17th March 2012, 06:33 PM

I have. I was torn, but a) it's weatherproof, b) it's cheap, c) makes the setup easier to resell in the future. Although I'm mainly into primes these days. But if they sent me a body-only I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Greytop
17th March 2012, 10:10 PM

I decided against and will use my 14-54 MK2 plus the MMF-3, should balance nicely with the free grip.

Kiwi Paul
17th March 2012, 11:24 PM
I'm still contemplating the OM-D, I don't need it, the G3 is fine so think I'll resist the temptation but if I was going for it I'd get it with the 12-50, the extra 150 is money well spent I think, the lens is weather proof, has a useful focal range and a good macro function too.

Paul

JonSchick
18th March 2012, 09:56 AM
I think it would depend upon whether you have the 14-54ii and whether you intend to shoot video.

The 12-50 would be a better video lens for sure, but other than offering a wider angle the 14-54ii will outperform it quite significantly, allow you to keep the ISOs lower especially at longer lengths, still offers a useful macro facility, and is weathersealed. It's one of my favourite lenses so I'm biased.. but having used it a lot, I can't imagine being happy with the 12-50.

Jon

DekHog
18th March 2012, 11:05 AM
I don't own any of the HG or SHG lenses now, only a 14mm F2.5, 20mm F1.7 and the 45mm F1.8, so having a zoom (for 150) would be nice I guess.

No matter how good they are, I've never seen the point in using any of the standard 4/3 lenses on the m4/3 bodies, as they're really too large and heavy, plus the slower focussing, so for me defeat the purpose of using m4/3 in the first place....

David M
18th March 2012, 12:01 PM
No matter how good they are, I've never seen the point in using any of the standard 4/3 lenses on the m4/3 bodies, as they're really too large and heavy, plus the slower focussing, so for me defeat the purpose of using m4/3 in the first place....

I don't care about size, image quality is more important to me. As the sensor in the E-M5 appears to be significantly better than the one in the E-5 I'm considering the m4/3 body.

I'll use my HG and SHG glass plus my dozen or so manual focus primes on the E-M5 unless there's signs of an E-7 with the E-M5 sensor.

JonSchick
18th March 2012, 12:18 PM
I think that if someone already owned the SHG or HG glass, then there'd be sense in considering whether to continue using it on the EM-5 - that's what I would do if I bought that body, because the 14-54ii is (considerably) better than any of the currently-available micro 43 zoom options. I use it often on my GH-2 and like the results very much. It also isn't terribly bulky (roughly same size and somewhat lighter than the Lumix 14-140 m43 lens). The equation may be different if you weren't starting with existing glass though.

Greytop
18th March 2012, 12:44 PM
For me image quality and kit size are both important, I agree with Jon in that the 14-54 MK2 is really quite a compact 4/3rds zoom for the quality and speed it offers, quite a bit smaller than a 12-60 for example.
Given it's relatively compact dimensions and optimisation for CDAF I'm sure it will be best possible high quality all weather walk around zoom solution for an E-M5 with grip.

Ulfric M Douglas
18th March 2012, 02:42 PM
...Given it's relatively compact dimensions and optimisation for CDAF I'm sure it will be best possible high quality all weather walk around zoom solution for an E-M5 with grip.
I'm sure it is.
What I'd like to see is a direct autofocus speed comparison with two other lenses on the E-M5 ; The 14-54MkI and the Lumix 14-45

David M
18th March 2012, 05:10 PM
For me image quality and kit size are both important, I agree with Jon in that the 14-54 MK2 is really quite a compact 4/3rds zoom for the quality and speed it offers, quite a bit smaller than a 12-60 for example.

Given that one of my most used lenses is the OM 350mm f/2.8 the size of the body is largely irrelevant.

DekHog
18th March 2012, 05:35 PM
....but if image quality alone is the holy grail, we'd all be shooting FF or larger, wouldn't we? :)

I must agree though, having owned a couple of Mk I 14-54's, that it is quite a lovely lens.... I'd probably use one if I had one, but doubt I'd go out and buy one to use on m4/3.... I'm sure equivalent zooms for m4/3 will be along in good time....

Greytop
18th March 2012, 06:03 PM
Given that one of my most used lenses is the OM 350mm f/2.8 the size of the body is largely irrelevant.

Can't disagree given your perspective David but we all have different needs / uses.

I like to carry my gear on walks/treks (all weathers and seasons) so the thought of any lens even approaching the size of your 350mm would fill me with dread ;):D

My perspective... quality and size of similar importance.

David M
18th March 2012, 06:10 PM
....but if image quality alone is the holy grail, we'd all be shooting FF or larger, wouldn't we? :)

If I needed high ISO performance I would be. Still owning 12 OM primes I could change to a full frame Canon tomorrow if I needed to. As I use a tripod 98% of the time and rarely go over 200 ISO 4/3 gives me enough image quality.

Rather amusingly, the 4th shot I took with my E-410 when testing it and the kit lenses ended up as a double page spread for a tourism organisation so I don't see the need to go full frame.

Kiwi Paul
18th March 2012, 09:02 PM
I think the m4/3 lenses are underrated to some degree. The m9-18 is a very good lens as is the Lumix 100-300, even the 14-150 can produce surprisingly good photos at the wide to mid range, the tele end is a bit soft though.
I think the 12-50 would be better than people think, you only have to look at Robin Wong's Web site to see just how good even a "mediocre" lens can perform.
I moved to m4/3 to take advantage of the compact nature of the system. Combining the good m4/3 zooms with the m4/3 primes gives a very good lens selection and while sometimes I do miss the exotic quality of the SHG glass I use to own (but not the bulk and cost) overall I'm pleased enough with quality I'm getting from my current m4/3 lenses.

Paul

George Dorn
18th March 2012, 09:33 PM

and while sometimes I do miss the exotic quality of the SHG glass I use to own (but not the bulk and cost) overall I'm pleased enough with quality I'm getting from my current m4/3 lenses.

Paul

What they said!

David M
18th March 2012, 10:14 PM
Just read an interesting thread about the OM-D and lighter gear in general on Naturescapes.net.

The consensus seems to be that the OM-D could be a good camera, pity there's no fast m4/3 zooms or long primes.

Ross the fiddler
18th March 2012, 10:34 PM
Given it's relatively compact dimensions and optimisation for CDAF I'm sure it will be best possible high quality all weather walk around zoom solution for an E-M5 with grip.

That's the way I'm thinking now as I already have that nice 14-54 II lens. I was just trying it in live view on the E30 & in good light it moves reasonably quickly for focus & in low light it slows right down. While the E30 fluffs around after focus lock, the E-M5 will be instant with its shutter (by comparison) & should be very usable for a lot of situations (as well as having the advantage of a larger aperture).

My desire to have the 50-200 SWD lens for the E30 may be lessened if the 70-300 lens can be better stabilised with the E-M5's 5 axis IS, plus having higher ISO which would allow a faster shutter speed, it just might be enough for me, although the 50-200 range is better for indoor events.

I'm just waiting to see if there will be any sweeteners for us in Australia & if not, I'll bide my time & hope for a price drop & then get the grip & MMF3 from B&H or China to get the best price. The 12-50 lens is only $200 more in the kit & still might be worth getting with the body & that could give me the lightest option without the grip when particularly needed.

brianvickers
18th March 2012, 11:16 PM
I have ordered the 12-50mm with mine...just because the guys at Focus on Imaging said it was such a bargain...only 150 more than body only....
now I've preordered that I want the 12mm f2 as well.....now thats GAS!

Zuiko
19th March 2012, 01:40 AM
It's all very hyperthetical for me, but if I was in the market for the E-M5 for 150 I'd have the 12-50mm. Then I'd have the choice of that or the 14-54mm, depending on what type of day I was planning. I'd also keep the Panny 14-45mm in the equation, I think it's a brilliant little lens.