PDA

View Full Version : OM-D E-M5 review in Advanced Photographer

trailer
15th March 2012, 10:26 AM
There is an 8 page review of the new OM in the April edition of the Advanced Photographer magazine.This is the first review I've seen in the press although I'm sure that there are others.

In summary they give it 93/100

"I think Olympus have hit the nail on the head with the OM-D E-M5. It's not perfect, but there is a great deal that seems 'right' so it's very much recommended".

Pros: Main/Sub dials, Art Filters, low noise, looks, fast to use, EVF, Super Control panel.
Cons: Composing with the EVF at 9fps is tricky, menu system.

benvendetta
15th March 2012, 02:18 PM
That is a crackin' score although AP does seem to be a pro Oly mag. Nothing wrong with that these days though.

Ian
15th March 2012, 03:05 PM
I can't see how any print magazine could have reviewed an E-M5 yet - there haven't been any sample cameras available. Isn't it more like a hands-on preview - and is this Amateur Photographer you mean?

Ian

trailer
15th March 2012, 03:19 PM
I can't see how any print magazine could have reviewed an E-M5 yet - there haven't been any sample cameras available. Isn't it more like a hands-on preview - and is this Amateur Photographer you mean?

Ian

It is a hands on preview I guess and not a technical review as such. The subject matter in the sample pictures in the article look remarkably similar to the ones that have been posted already.
It is in Advanced Photographer (UK April edition)

benvendetta
15th March 2012, 03:22 PM
It IS Advanced Photographer mag and it is a First Look rather than a review I suspect. Still a great score though and excellent publicity in one of the best photo mags around.

PeterBirder
15th March 2012, 08:42 PM
Yes it's Advanced Photographer mag the only photography mag I bother to buy. It is a section in their six monthly review of new gear called " Most wanted gear supplement". Written by editor William Cheung it clearly states that it was produced from his attendance at the Olympus OM-D seminar in Amsterdam in February which Ian attended. Although I don't think it gives any information that hasn't already been provided by Ian I found it objective,positive and readable. There are also a number of advertising pages for the OM-D from both Olympus and Jessops. Overall very positive for Olympus.

Regards.

trailer
15th March 2012, 09:06 PM
Yes it's Advanced Photographer mag the only photography mag I bother to buy. It is a section in their six monthly review of new gear called " Most wanted gear supplement". Written by editor William Cheung it clearly states that it was produced from his attendance at the Olympus OM-D seminar in Amsterdam in February which Ian attended. Although I don't think it gives any information that hasn't already been provided by Ian I found it objective,positive and readable. There are also a number of advertising pages for the OM-D from both Olympus and Jessops. Overall very positive for Olympus.

Regards.

Sorry to be pedantic but it is actually in the test section. There are other articles in the section you mentioned which seem to be sponsored by Jessops.

"Any publicity is good publicity"

PeterBirder
15th March 2012, 09:21 PM
Sorry to be pedantic but it is actually in the test section. There are other articles in the section you mentioned which seem to be sponsored by Jessops.

"Any publicity is good publicity"

You're quite right, there's so much coverage it's overwhelming.:eek:
I think (don't quote me:)) I counted 13 pages with a picture of the E-M5

Regards

Lord Minty
16th March 2012, 10:15 PM
"Cons: Composing with the EVF at 9fps is tricky, menu system."

Yet another review, yet another moan about the Oly menu system, yet another reviewer who clearly hasn't got a clue :mad:

Do these reviewers ever actually learn to use the Oly menu system and more importantly, to use the buttons and super control panel?

'cos I'm sure if they did they be saying it's a pro, not a con, when compared to some other camera makers menus systems!!

David M
16th March 2012, 10:36 PM

Yet another review, yet another moan about the Oly menu system, yet another reviewer who clearly hasn't got a clue :mad:

Do these reviewers ever actually learn to use the Oly menu system and more importantly, to use the buttons and super control panel?

'cos I'm sure if they did they be saying it's a pro, not a con, when compared to some other camera makers menus systems!!

I think they got some of their pros and cons mixed up. The art filters should have been in cons and the menu system should have been in pros.

JonSchick
16th March 2012, 10:40 PM

Hmmm - which cameras do you have in mind?

Having also used Panasonic and Pentax extensively, I'm not sure I'd agree. I find both of these have easier menu systems. And their equivalent of the super control panel is less busy and easier to navigate - although utimately less comprehensive.

I do think Oly need to rethink their menu interface - it's fussy and you need to dig too hard to find some of the more advanced settings. If reviewers don't find it easy and intuitive then I think I agree with them that it needs to be looked at.

Also underwhelmed by this review in Advanced Photographer in any case - lots of pages of not especially informative text based on a quick hand's-on in Amsterdam. Not a test by any means, more of a preview. I've seen Will Chung do similar things with other cameras in the past, with some significant factual errors as a result. He likes to review Nikons properly though, because that's what he owns......

Ulfric M Douglas
17th March 2012, 10:47 AM
Well, I think the menu is terrible.
...Yet another review, yet another moan about the Oly menu system, yet another reviewer who clearly hasn't got a clue :mad:

The SCP isn't part of the menu (although needs to be switched on by diving into the horrible menu) it is part of the overall control system.
New users won't realise the SCP should be used instead of the menu for most functions ... therefore they are victims of the horrible menu system.
I'm not the only user of multiple generations of 4/3rds-sensor cameras to agree with the criticisms of Olympus' menus.

David M
17th March 2012, 01:05 PM
Well, I think the menu is terrible.

The SCP isn't part of the menu (although needs to be switched on by diving into the horrible menu) it is part of the overall control system.
New users won't realise the SCP should be used instead of the menu for most functions ... therefore they are victims of the horrible menu system.
I'm not the only user of multiple generations of 4/3rds-sensor cameras to agree with the criticisms of Olympus' menus.

The only time I dive into the menu system is when setting up a new camera, changing the time twice a year or formatting a card. For me everything else is done with the SCP.

Which reminds me, I forgot to change the time as the clocks went ahead last Sunday.

Phill D
17th March 2012, 07:47 PM
Similar pre review in Photographic Monthly too. Much anticipation not much detail. Good marketing though.

benvendetta
17th March 2012, 08:29 PM
Hmmm - which cameras do you have in mind?

Having also used Panasonic and Pentax extensively, I'm not sure I'd agree. I find both of these have easier menu systems. And their equivalent of the super control panel is less busy and easier to navigate - although utimately less comprehensive.

I do think Oly need to rethink their menu interface - it's fussy and you need to dig too hard to find some of the more advanced settings. If reviewers don't find it easy and intuitive then I think I agree with them that it needs to be looked at.

Also underwhelmed by this review in Advanced Photographer in any case - lots of pages of not especially informative text based on a quick hand's-on in Amsterdam. Not a test by any means, more of a preview. I've seen Will Chung do similar things with other cameras in the past, with some significant factual errors as a result. He likes to review Nikons properly though, because that's what he owns......

Come on! 93% is 93% FGS!