PDA

View Full Version : What is the E system's most endearing feature for you?

Bo_Nydahl
30th November 2007, 05:01 PM
For me it is the virtual absence of Chromatic Aberration. I see plenty with my 5D and 24-105 even with Leica lenses on the M8. What does it for you?

Mike

beardedwombat
30th November 2007, 05:20 PM
The dustbuster! Saves a lot of cloning time!
Chris

Barr1e
30th November 2007, 05:26 PM
IS -

...my hands are not the best for taking pix.

B.

dlinney
30th November 2007, 06:16 PM
1) Weathersealed body at a reasonable price
2) Lenses that seem as good wide open as stopped down

I know that's two but who's counting

dlinney
30th November 2007, 06:17 PM
With big black lenses rather than big white ones its not so obvious to the wife I've been spending money.

Bo_Nydahl
30th November 2007, 06:36 PM
With big black lenses rather than big white ones its not so obvious to the wife I've been spending money.

:D Oh yes and that.

Mike

shenstone
30th November 2007, 08:25 PM
The lightness of the whole system - is a serious boon for travel and the new Liveview on the 510 has already proven great using the "hold the camera into the bush rather than frightening the wildlife" technique

Invicta
1st December 2007, 05:47 PM
For a specific E camera it has to be the E3's view finder. The display is a lot brighter than my earlier Oly E300.

Tested the E3 in the shop (well outside it, lol) pointed the camera down the high street into the sun and I could still clearly read the LCD display inside the view finder. Finally sealed my liking of the E3.

As for the E-series in general it has to be the wide range of true digital lens available in the four-thirds format.

ianc
1st December 2007, 06:03 PM
For me it has to be the weatherproofing of the E1, E3 and Pro-lenses. As a keen hillwalker I spend a good deal of time getting wet and my camera sits on the waist strap of my sac always ready to grab a shot.:)

Ian C.

Ian
1st December 2007, 07:05 PM
For me it has to be the weatherproofing of the E1, E3 and Pro-lenses. As a keen hillwalker I spend a good deal of time getting wet and my camera sits on the waist strap of my sac always ready to grab a shot.:)

Ian C.

Confidence to not worry about situations like this:

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/550/PB050188b.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/2397)

Ian

tom
1st December 2007, 07:30 PM
I'm a bit surprised that so few people mention the 2X focal length effect. I've recently stuck a Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm) plus EC-14 converter on to the front of my E510 (silly, I know:), but it works!) and got a whopping 1400mm reach with the combination. Amazing for wildlife photography and the sort pulling power that only Bill Gates and Premiership footballers can afford with traditional film cameras - or even APS-C set-ups.
Tom

ianc
1st December 2007, 07:35 PM
Confidence to not worry about situations like this:

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/550/PB050188b.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/2397)

Ian

I was think of conditions like this.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/5100195.jpg
Ian C.

pandora
29th December 2010, 08:54 PM
Why would you want to take pictures in weather like that! ... Just kidding ... yes, there are many reasons why I chose Olympus E-systems.

They are adroitly summarised by user Ned Yeung in his article, Why Olympus? (http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=638216&page=1#post13905748)

Wally
29th December 2010, 09:03 PM
All of the above and the fact that the lens are designed from ground up for the digital age which might explain why the optics are so much better than many other makes and, in many cases at a lesser price point.

photo_owl
29th December 2010, 09:41 PM
the glass

when I started with the system 4 years ago there was nothing I foresaw a need for that wasn't already there.

benvendetta
29th December 2010, 10:20 PM
The flip-out screen is something I could not live without.

Alan Clogwyn
29th December 2010, 11:31 PM
Beautiful JPEGs, with no messing around. (Provided that the subject is in good lighting conditions - the poor Dynamic range being the ultimate downfall and reason I left the E system)

Graham_of_Rainham
29th December 2010, 11:49 PM
7mm - 300mm with 3 lenses :D

Never once have I needed to clean the sensor :D

OM Adaptor to fit the bellows unit :D

Olympus users are a great bunch of people :)

*chr

gregles
29th December 2010, 11:51 PM
Very honest post Alan.

Have you noticed a step up in dynamic performance since switching?

Greg

gno
30th December 2010, 12:00 AM
In view of the age of this post, it must be:

Enduring

Wreckdiver
30th December 2010, 12:03 AM
Definitely the glass, SHG *yes

Steve

shenstone
30th December 2010, 09:30 AM
it is fun when new people come on board and renew an old thread

Looking at the post I made above it when I'd just for my e-510 and was loving it to bits.

I think my opinion has now changed in that it's definitely not just the one feature that has kept me with the e-system it's everything that people have listed here

Regards
Andy.

JackBenedict
30th December 2010, 09:58 AM
Ian - that's no way to treat a camera. Thats's why they invented plastic bags to protect expensive kit *chr

Wally
30th December 2010, 10:17 AM
RE: resurrection of old posts. On another togging forum we have a member who digs these out on a regular basis. In doing so, some real gems have come to light. One in particular was a macro thread and quite honestly the thread was sheer photographic magic and hosted some real in-depth information/techniques by the thread starter.

In this instance it's welcoming to see that the intervening years have managed to retain the good points that the 4/3 system had - as the new kid on the block - to offer. Perhaps, especially now when many users are more mature and know what the system has to offer through use and abuse and feel that they haven't been conned by sales blurb... not that we'd admit it even if we had. ;)

Alan Clogwyn
30th December 2010, 11:03 AM
Very honest post Alan.

Have you noticed a step up in dynamic performance since switching?

Greg

Yes, it was noticeable straight away. The trade off is the JPEGs from the panasonic even at highest quality are compressed a lot more than the Olympus ones, so where I may have been able to rescue shadow detail from the Olympus image, there's a lot less to play with in the panasonic ones.

I loved that you could have practically uncompressed JPEGS from the Olympus, but it was a shame they didnt give the option of Tiffs like the Cx000Z compact range had...

gregles
30th December 2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks Alan. There is always a trade off unfortunately.

Greg

yorky
30th December 2010, 11:58 AM
Its just that the whole range feels like QUALITY in my hands from the 500-510 EP1 and EP2 to the E5 which is superb to my way of thinking. Well that is apart from the rather small buttons.

Who's_E
30th December 2010, 12:02 PM
Wow, when this thread started I had an E1 with a 14-45, a 50-200 mk1 and an EC14! I believe I was eyeing up a second body and I knew the 12-60 was just about to be released.

Back then: Ergonomics, quality and reliability of the E1
Now: Ergonomics, quality and reliability of the E3; 12-60; a forum

I wonder what I will have in three years' time?

Nick

David M
30th December 2010, 01:00 PM
The quality of the lenses.

I shot the OM system for 30 years and never found a zoom lens worth keeping. I licensed the fourth shot I took with the 14-42 kit lens to a tourism organisation.

Ulfric M Douglas
30th December 2010, 04:23 PM
Value for money in terms of IQ: sharp, colourful nice pictures straight out of the box with kit lens.
I only discovered this was an issue later ... after seeing lack of the same things from other cameras and lenses.
(And this certainly includes Olympus' lack of CA )

David Morison
30th December 2010, 06:46 PM
The 2x crop is useful for nature work as it means I can roam with a much smaller glass lump than other makes, vital for handheld shots of fast moving creatures. Also the quality of glass, the weatherproofing and very importantly the best IS in the business!

davidsa
30th December 2010, 06:59 PM
It works. :)

skyman1
30th December 2010, 09:53 PM
It works. :)

Oh Yess I agree *yes
just wish i worked as well as my camera

Zuiko
31st December 2010, 02:21 AM
How do you pick one advantage when there are so many? However, I'd like to throw into the ring that I can compose to 4:3 ratio in camers without having to crop later. I hate 3:2 ratio, it's neither one thing or another and makes my landscapes feel too cramped.

Ellie
1st January 2011, 08:44 PM
How do you pick one advantage when there are so many?

*yes

I can't choose just one feature I couldn't do without, although I think we all take the dust reduction system for granted ... I couldn't imagine having to clean inside the camera!

Lord Minty
2nd January 2011, 08:29 PM
Well as we've got an E-500, and E-330 and now my E-600 there must be something!

For me it was the ability to legacy glass without all the hassles of lenses fouling mirrors, back focussing, having to modify lenses etc etc. In my case my previous film system was Praktica Bayonet and at the time no-one made any adapters for PB lenses to fit any DSLR system.

I got a Pentax K to 4/3rds adapter and modified it myself to fit my PB lenses... then we bought the E-500 to fit the lenses!

Since then I've picked up a couple of OM-fit lenses from charity shops (big spender!) and got an adapter for those, modified a Konica A/R lens, and got adapters for my M42 and Exakta lenses.

Try doing all that with a Canon EF-S body...

Oh and lastly my E-600. What can I say, it's small and perfectly formed :)

padgreen
2nd January 2011, 11:04 PM
Originally it's was Olympus' reputation and the quality of it's lenses - my first Olympus was an OM1N I bought in 1979. That was enough to make me buy a Olympus C5060 when I first switched to digital and then an E1.

I went with the E1 because of the dust buster, the weather sealing and because the lenses were designed for digital.

Now I've used the E series for a few years (now have E30) the main reason for staying with Olympus is the 4:3 aspect ratio and the lenses. I too prefer 4:3 to 3:2. That said, I'm trying to convince myself that I could go back to 3:2 if I had to: this is in anticipation of Olympus switching to an EVF for the E series. I keep trying to like EVF's too, but everyone I look through I hate.

I fear that the EVF my well be the one Olympus innovation that is too much for me in which case I will have to change brand. This doesn't exactly please me either: APC doesn't make any sense to me as the lenses are slow and the focal length's don't make sense. Full frame is nice but weighs a ton.

Barrie Norman
3rd January 2011, 09:25 AM
Oly Glass what else!