PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 kit lens - silver body, so what colour lens?

Ian
11th March 2012, 07:36 AM
The black comes with a black lens but the default colour 12-50 lens for the E-M5 is also a black lens. If you were going to buy a silver body which colour kit lens would you prefer?

Ian

Invicta
11th March 2012, 07:50 AM
Matching camera and lenses please :)

One of the minor downsides of the E-M5 is I would prefer the black version so would want black lenses to go with it. The E-M5 would make a nice travel camera in black (Henri Cartier-Bresson style), but it looks like many of the lenses are available in silver only. Will Olympus be produced black versions of the best prime lenses as well?

George Dorn
11th March 2012, 09:06 AM
Retro black for me.

StephenL
11th March 2012, 11:37 AM
A black lens on a black body looks good. A silver lens on a silver body looks good. A black lens on a silver body looks good. The only issue I have is with a silver lens on a black body. I've pre-ordered the silver body not really caring which colour lens. But if they sent me a black body instead I'd be equally happy. I just want an E-M5 - NOW!

David M
11th March 2012, 11:59 AM
Not in the least interested in the 12-50 but as 99.99% of the OM system lenses were made in black it should be black on the silver body.

Kees
11th March 2012, 12:24 PM
I don't know if the silver 12-50 looks like the "silver" 40-150, but if so, I wouldn't want it. I found that lens look cheap, not silver, but greyish spray painted plastic (no complaints about the lens quality, just the looks).
I find black lenses look much better in general, on both silver and black bodies.

Ozont
11th March 2012, 03:28 PM
I agree with Stephen, silver lens on a black body isn't a good match. I like how the "Silver" E-M5 is more of a 50/50 black & silver mix, IMO it makes the lens color a non-issue, either color works well.

Ross the fiddler
11th March 2012, 11:19 PM
Since the silver body has a lot of black on it, I would go for the black lens, but if you consider the OM lenses, they (or at least the 50mm f1.8 one that I have) has a silvered mounting ring that includes DoF markings on it.

*erm So, I would prefer a two toned lens for a two toned body. *ohwell

Ian
11th March 2012, 11:46 PM
I don't know if the silver 12-50 looks like the "silver" 40-150, but if so, I wouldn't want it. I found that lens look cheap, not silver, but greyish spray painted plastic (no complaints about the lens quality, just the looks).
I find black lenses look much better in general, on both silver and black bodies.

Yes, Olympus seems to be using a warm silver for premium lenses - like the m.zuiko 12mm f/2.0, while more inexpensive lenses (and including the cheap but superb performing 45mm f/1.8) are either black or a colder silver hue.

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
12th March 2012, 12:03 AM
No one has mentioned that black ones, soak up the heat more on a sunny day. Is there any data/info., on the effect of the sun on black kit *???

PS Voted for Black because all my other lenses are black

StephenL
12th March 2012, 08:39 AM
No one has mentioned that black ones, soak up the heat more on a sunny day. Is there any data/info., on the effect of the sun on black kit *???

PS Voted for Black because all my other lenses are black

We don't do sunny up here. :(

Ian
12th March 2012, 09:49 AM
The m.Zuiko 75-300 f/4.8-6.3 is a warm silver lens. It's also one of the more expensive ones, suggesting it's more of a premium product, hence the warm tone silver.

Ian

stryker
6th April 2012, 03:29 PM
My black and silver OM20 has a black lens and my old OM2_SP had a black body with a black lens so to look right it has to be black with both, but am living in the past!!

Loup Garou
30th May 2012, 04:59 PM
I had thought that I was going to prefer the black lens until I saw the dual tone 'silver' lens. I then decided i wanted it because I think it matches the silver body (which is definitely what I am after) and looks rather nice. But :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: for reasons best known to Olympus, they have so far decided that all kit 12-50mm lenses would be black, irrespective of the body colour. Considering that the silver lens is available, this sounds like a very strange sales decision to me.

I was speaking to the guy in Park Cameras today and he told me that several cistomers had said exactly the same thing and they were going to ask Olympus and get back to us. There is a small chance that the silver lens might become available as an option for the kit and so I have decided to wait a bit and see.

Ian
31st May 2012, 09:24 AM
I can arrange a swap for a silver 12-50 when you get your black one. Best email admin@e-group.uk.net to sort this out.

Ian

StephenL
31st May 2012, 09:35 AM
The things that Ian can sort out for members of this group in "difficulties" never ceases to amaze me. *chr

Ian
31st May 2012, 10:19 AM
It's not what you know but who you know! :D

Ian

Ross the fiddler
31st May 2012, 10:32 AM
It's not what you know but who you know! :D

Ian

Always. :D

Loup Garou
31st May 2012, 01:45 PM
I can arrange a swap for a silver 12-50 when you get your black one. Best email admin@e-group.uk.net to sort this out.

Ian

Thanks, but will that not affect the warranty? The lens has its own card

Ian
31st May 2012, 01:53 PM
As long as the lens you exchange is in as-new condition, Olympus will swap you a brand new boxed silver one with its own warranty/registration card.

Ian

Loup Garou
2nd June 2012, 07:50 AM
The kit arrived yesterday and after assembling and playing with it, I confess that I have changed my mind. The black lens looks quite good with the silver camera body and so I have decided to keep it. But thanks all the same for the information, Ian.

Ian
3rd June 2012, 10:02 AM
Glad you're happy in the end :)

Ian

Ross the fiddler
3rd June 2012, 10:59 AM
The kit arrived yesterday and after assembling and playing with it, I confess that I have changed my mind. The black lens looks quite good with the silver camera body and so I have decided to keep it. But thanks all the same for the information, Ian.

Ah, another happy customer. :) I will be too, *erm when it finally comes. :(

George Dorn
3rd June 2012, 05:49 PM
Ah, another happy customer. :) I will be too, *erm when it finally comes. :(

Me too *zzz

Since I will have a receipt dated within the ever ready case offer period, does that mean I can claim the ERC and grip?

.....If it comes before 31 July!

(PS I have read condition 19):D

Loup Garou
3rd June 2012, 06:12 PM
I don't understand why some people have not received their cameras. Park Cameras said that they had "plenty" of stock, even silver bodied kits. I placed the order on 31st May and it arrived the following day by courier at no extra charge.

George Dorn
3rd June 2012, 06:38 PM
Well, Ross the Fiddler lives in the Blue Mountains - lucky fellow. I ordered mine from my local independent retailer, who still does enough business with Olympus to deal with them direct, not through a wholesaler. The likes of SRS and Park Cameras presumably placed early orders in volume and I expect that their units are earlier in the queue, whether they are allocated to pre-orders or for their stock. Who could blame Olympus for serving a large retailer who has shown commitment to the brand first if that is the case, either way?

I like having a quality, trusted High Street retailer nearby (which is not to say that Park Cameras, for example, aren't having been there).

Loup Garou
3rd June 2012, 06:54 PM
You could be right. I had made intial enquiries with my own local retailer, Great Western Cameras of Swindon, but on 31st May they swore that there was no stock "anywhere", not even with Olympus and none was expected for a fortnight at least. Only after they told me that I phoned Park Cameras and had the camera kit with me the next day. Very strange difference in availability of what is evidently a popular product.

Ross the fiddler
4th June 2012, 01:02 AM
Well, Ross the Fiddler lives in the Blue Mountains - lucky fellow. I ordered mine from my local independent retailer, who still does enough business with Olympus to deal with them direct, not through a wholesaler. The likes of SRS and Park Cameras presumably placed early orders in volume and I expect that their units are earlier in the queue, whether they are allocated to pre-orders or for their stock. Who could blame Olympus for serving a large retailer who has shown commitment to the brand first if that is the case, either way?

I like having a quality, trusted High Street retailer nearby (which is not to say that Park Cameras, for example, aren't having been there).

I shouldn't have been penny pinching (dollars in my case), but the price was $162 cheaper than retail & the local stores in Penrith & Katoomba are part of the Camera House group. I could have ordered through them at the full retail price, but now I'm just going to have to wait for it. As long as I recieve it before the end June, then I will qualify for our bonus MMF-3 (but then the freebies are limited stock too & with my luck, they might tell me they're all gone). "Patience", is what I'm telling myself. *yes

George Dorn
4th June 2012, 05:10 AM
As long as I recieve it before the end June, then I will qualify for our bonus MMF-3 (but then the freebies are limited stock too & with my luck, they might tell me they're all gone). "Patience", is what I'm telling myself. *yes

Good luck with that, then!

Ross the fiddler
4th June 2012, 06:53 AM
Good luck with that, then!

I've just got the email to say it's ready for pick up. YOU LITTLE BEAUTY! :D
I'll be going into Sydney tomorrow (by train or car, not sure yet). :D

George Dorn
4th June 2012, 07:01 AM
Er, good luck on the lottery, then!!

SteelD
9th June 2012, 06:57 AM
After having black cameras for the past 25 years or so, it would be good to get back to a silver one (or satin chrome as they were known). The satin chrome cameras also had a more durable finish while black finish cameras commanded a premium price, tended to be bought by pros and showed wear a lot quicker as the paint wore away and showed the metal underneath (often called "brassing" due to the appearance of the brass body metal where wear had occurred).

The silver OM-D looks good and the material on the body is more like the leatherette of a classic camera. Also, as many have pointed out, a silver lens on a silver body looks better than a silver lens on a black body though strangely, a black lens on a silver body looks OK and this was how many film SLRs looked anyway.

Sadly for me, my preferred genre is street photography and black demands less attention than a silver camera so black it has to be for me.

Loup Garou
9th June 2012, 07:36 AM
The silver OM-D looks good and the material on the body is more like the leatherette of a classic camera. Also, as many have pointed out, a silver lens on a silver body looks better than a silver lens on a black body though strangely, a black lens on a silver body looks OK and this was how many film SLRs looked anyway.

You're right. I took a look at the various combos on Google images and the silver lens does not look right at all on a black body. On the other hand, a black lens on a silver body looks better than what I imagined.

I bought a silver OM-D with a black 12-50mm kit lens, a black 40-150mm, black 17mm pancake but a silver 45mm f/1.8 'portrait' lens.

Ross the fiddler
9th June 2012, 08:04 AM
I've just got the email to say it's ready for pick up. YOU LITTLE BEAUTY! :D
I'll be going into Sydney tomorrow (by train or car, not sure yet). :D

I picked it up last Tuesday & it's a great little camera & on the colour, the black lens (12-50) with it's (dark) silver ring on the front, does look good on the silver body considering there is is so much black on it anyhow.

*chr

Loup Garou
9th June 2012, 08:09 AM
I picked it up last Tuesday & it's a great little camera & on the colour, the black lens (12-50) with it's (dark) silver ring on the front, does look good on the silver body considering there is is so much black on it anyhow.

*chr

Before I got my kit, I was jousting to find a way to swap the black 12-50mm lens to the dual tone 'silver' one. But after seeing how good the black lens looked, I decided to stick with it.