PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for photographing GT and F3 cars

j.baker
27th May 2008, 11:20 AM
I have an opportunity to photograph a Formula 3 and GT testing day which will be on 28th May.

The weather will not be great, as thunder storms are predicted.

Can anyone provide any tips, other than keeping my kit dry :). I will be in the public areas and maybe the paddock.

My kit list is in my sig.

knikki
27th May 2008, 12:08 PM
Fun fun fun!!

I would use E-400 + 12-60 for those in the paddoack area, go in close on detail of the cars or for getting pictures of people working on them inbetween races, try to catch candids of the drivers talking to the pit crew etc.

E-510 + 50-200 maily because if it is going to a dull day then the 50-200 gives you more aperature to play with. Go for the slow panning shots as the cars wizz past, try to find a corner some where, they can bunch up and slow down making it easier to get some action shots.
If you can get near or on the grid then the lens can be used to the the "close up helmet and consentration shot" of the drivers also good for getting the pit girls.

I think it is more a case of trial and error in these things, OH! one thing to watch out for is Marshalls. They are usually dressed in bright orange and if you get them in the picture they generally lead your eye away. I have plenty like that :D

j.baker
27th May 2008, 12:17 PM
Its a test day so no pit girls :(

I have two E510 so I can use both, I doubt I will be allowed into the pit lane.

Thanks for the info so far.

JohnGG
27th May 2008, 01:11 PM
There are two tricks for getting dynamic racing shots. Firstly, don't be tempted to use a fast shutter speed as that just freezes the action making the cars look like they're parked on the track. Use shutter priority and experiment with speeds between 1/60 and 1/250 whilst panning with the cars. Secondly, when panning, continue to follow the action smoothly with the camera as you press the shutter release; don't make the mistake (as I used to :o ) of stopping your swing as you go click.

Start by not zooming too close to your subject or you'll get a lot of cars with no back wheels. Gradually zoom in as you get the knack. If it's like the E-3, I think you can use IS mode 2 on the E510 for panning shots but I haven't tried this out. I'll get the chance in August at the Manx GP :D

I hope you have a good day and the thunderstorms hold off :)

Cheers,

JohnGG

Scapula Memory
27th May 2008, 05:45 PM
Maybe you could PM DerekC? He has some very good car and bike shots he has posted here from time to time.

j.baker
28th May 2008, 04:46 PM
The weather at Thruxton was wet. I enjoyed myself, but I really need an E3 as my E510 had to be covered up.

I have uploaded the images to my web server. I have not processed them other than resize for the web from RAW.

http://www.ilikeit.co.uk/hampshire/Thruxton/index.html

It was my first attempt at a race track, so please be kind with the comments.