PDA

View Full Version : OM-D E-M5 - my review sample has arrived

Ian
9th March 2012, 11:54 AM
A very handsome black example with a matching black 12-50 is now sitting on my kitchen table and the battery is on charge!

As usual, I will do my best to answer any questions, although I don't have an HLD-6 grip yet.

Ian

Olybirder
9th March 2012, 12:13 PM
Great stuff Ian. I look forward to seeing your sample images. Does this one have the production firmware loaded?

Ron

Zuiko
9th March 2012, 12:13 PM
A very handsome black example with a matching black 12-50 is now sitting on my kitchen table and the battery is on charge!

As usual, I will do my best to answer any questions, although I don't have an HLD-6 grip yet.

Ian

No prize for guessing what you'll be doing once the battery has charged! Shame they didn't send you a sepearate battery and charger in advance! :D

P.S. I hope Julia realizes that she will be cooking dinner tonight! :D

Ross the fiddler
9th March 2012, 12:18 PM
Hey, you little beauty! :D

I'm looking forward to all your test results. I want to know if I can be happy using the 50-200 SWD lens on it because that lens is on my wish list for the next spend & later the better body can come & this E-M5 is looking like it might be the ideal body to go for. As a lighter, versatile carry around camera, I would be considering using the 14-150 lens on it & would like to see some results with that combination too.

Hope you have lots of fun having to do ALL this testing. :D

*chr

Ross the fiddler
9th March 2012, 12:20 PM
No prize for guessing what you'll be doing once the battery has charged! Shame they didn't send you a sepearate battery and charger in advance! :D

Shame they didn't send the models too. ;)

Ian
9th March 2012, 12:25 PM
Great stuff Ian. I look forward to seeing your sample images. Does this one have the production firmware loaded?

Ron

Yes, this is a production review sample. I can do anything I like with it and publish any results without restrictions :)

Ian

Ian
9th March 2012, 12:26 PM

Hehe! Shame about the weather today though!!! Very very grey.

Ian

Ian
9th March 2012, 12:29 PM
Hey, you little beauty! :D

I'm looking forward to all your test results. I want to know if I can be happy using the 50-200 SWD lens on it because that lens is on my wish list for the next spend & later the better body can come & this E-M5 is looking like it might be the ideal body to go for. As a lighter, versatile carry around camera, I would be considering using the 14-150 lens on it & would like to see some results with that combination too.

Hope you have lots of fun having to do ALL this testing. :D

*chr

The Olympus briefing document I received before the E-M5 was launched answered the question about Four Thirds lens focus performance as - no change from Pens, but that's not the experience of several others and I did try a 12-60 on the E-M5 and compared it to an E-P3 and I would say that there is a definite, if modest, improvement in AF speed with the E-M5. But will certainly be trying various FT lenses in due course.

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
9th March 2012, 12:37 PM
<snip>As usual, I will do my best to answer any questions<snip>
Ian

Do I sell all my 4/3rds kit and go fully MFT ;)

IQ is always my main consideration, so any side by side comparison will be welcome.

Thanks

Zuiko
9th March 2012, 12:42 PM
Hehe! Shame about the weather today though!!! Very very grey.

Ian

That's OK, you can now use ISO 25600 so it shouldn't matter if it's nearly pitch black outside! :D

Ian
9th March 2012, 12:48 PM
Do I sell all my 4/3rds kit and go fully MFT ;)

IQ is always my main consideration, so any side by side comparison will be welcome.

Thanks

Well, the sensor is a big step forward - no doubt about that, particularly if you need dynamic range, resolution, and high ISO headroom. But in general Four Thirds lenses, especially the expensive ones, are better. The one big exception is the 45mm f/1.8 - which is amazing and great value (210 at Focus I was told).

Ian

Zuiko
9th March 2012, 01:06 PM
I guess that when the green light next to Ian's name goes out we'll know the battery has charged! :D

StephenL
9th March 2012, 01:08 PM
I'll be very interested to hear of the performance of the viewfinder in manual focus situations. I realise it's the same specs as the VF2 but with some sort of enhanced software.

Ian
9th March 2012, 02:11 PM
The battery took two hours to charge :)

The viewfinder is a direct re-fit of the VF-2 internals but the display options are, according to my briefing document, different to a Pen.

Optically there should be little difference.

Ian

timg
9th March 2012, 02:12 PM
The Olympus briefing document I received before the E-M5 was launched answered the question about Four Thirds lens focus performance as - no change from Pens, but that's not the experience of several others and I did try a 12-60 on the E-M5 and compared it to an E-P3 and I would say that there is a definite, if modest, improvement in AF speed with the E-M5. But will certainly be trying various FT lenses in due course.

I'd love to see how the 14-54ii focus speed on the EM5 compares to E1/Exxx if you have one lying around! :D

Ian
9th March 2012, 04:15 PM
I'd love to see how the 14-54ii focus speed on the EM5 compares to E1/Exxx if you have one lying around! :D

Yes, I can do this... give me some time.

Ian

timg
9th March 2012, 05:27 PM
Yes, I can do this... give me some time.

Thanks Ian! :D

mige0
9th March 2012, 09:43 PM
Whats lacking until now is to have some RAW form the OM D_5 available to play with (apply post processing).

If you could provide some and are no longer restricted to publishing JPG only, I'd very much appreciate.
No need for ISO rows nor any need for anything special, just some "normal" pix would do fine for me

Ian
9th March 2012, 09:46 PM
Whats lacking until now is to have some RAW form the OM D_5 available to play with (apply post processing).

If you could provide some and are no longer restricted to publishing JPG only, I'd very much appreciate.
No need for ISO rows nor any need for anything special, just some "normal" pix would do fine for me

Have a look at our Four Thirds User site - lots of RAW and full res JPEG samples there, high and low ISO. Better ones to come, though.

http://fourthirds-user.com

Ian

mige0
10th March 2012, 10:31 AM
Those I've seen when they came out, thanks - but what I'm specifically looking for are final FW RAW files

Ian
10th March 2012, 12:53 PM
The later two sets were final firmware. Only the hardware was pre-production.

Ian

mige0
10th March 2012, 01:18 PM
Ok
- well, I forgot to mention that I highly dislike the 12-50 for photographs

Don't you have mFT prime or FT HQ lenses? and of course outdoor shots would be fine as well, more "natural" light conditions than in a mall, you know...

Ian
10th March 2012, 02:08 PM
In the samples from Focus 10 of the 12 samples were taken using the superb 45mm f/1.8, but I will be compiling an extensive sample gallery using both m.Zuiko and Zuiko lenses over the coming days.

Ian

David M
10th March 2012, 02:14 PM
In the samples from Focus 10 of the 12 samples were taken using the superb 45mm f/1.8, but I will be compiling an extensive sample gallery using both m.Zuiko and Zuiko lenses over the coming days.

Ian

Yes, but you weren't using to right aperture/ISO/shutter speed*

*Delete whichever is applicable. :rolleyes:

mige0
10th March 2012, 03:24 PM

Ian

Great!
I'm looking forward to those sampels

Ross the fiddler
11th March 2012, 12:49 AM
Ian, I appreciate what you've shown us so far (& you do have a life besides pandering to our wishes & gripes) although I may not be able to justify buying this camera body yet, I would like to know where I can get one of those OM-D 'T' shirts that guy is wearing (I normally take SM).

I've had some fun playing with the RAW files in Olympus Viewer II, trying the different NF settings, Picture Modes, Art Filters with effects etc., but the strange thing with that program is how long it takes to display the photo properly after updating the RAW. I timed it & it took 25 seconds before it changed from a very grainy appearance to its final appearance (using the latest 1.3 version). :confused:

Thanks Ian for all your effort & advice you give us.

*chr