PDA

View Full Version : Returning home from Focus

JonSchick
7th March 2012, 03:54 PM
Nice to see the Olympus stand full of people and buzz, even on the last day of the show. I think they are pleased with the reception the EM-5 has had - and Cameraworld were certainly happy with the number of preorders they took at the show!

I went to take a look and see whether there was sufficient argument to trade in my GH-2 and concluded "not yet". I'd like to see some comparative image samples first, as well as seeing what comes next in the OMD line plus how Panasonic responds with the GH3.

In the meantime. I ended up thinking that if you blended the best bits of the EM-5 and GH-2 together, you'd end up with my perfect camera!

I prefer the Olympus build quality and in body stabilisation. Weather resistance is nice to have too, and the rear LCD is very nice. I'm sure the JPEGs will kill the GH-2 too.

However, I found the camera a little cramped and prefer the ergonomics of the GH-2 - perhaps just because it's familiar to me. The Olympus is much better with the optional grip, but you'd need to take that off to change batteries.... A detail that would irritate me. I also didn't like some of the OM buttons... small and fiddly to use.

The eye sensor in the GH-2 is much faster - the EM-5 suffering from notable lag but maybe that's a pre-release issue. However, the EVF itself works well.

Finally, focussing - I have to say the EM-5 really impressed here. Definitely faster than my Panasonic, especially when using the ZD14-54ii - Noticeably faster than using that lens on the Panasonic.

If I didn't already have the GH-2, I'd buy the Olympus. But I decided that in my case it would be better to prioritise lenses. So.... 45/1.8 on it's way very soon!

For those who've preordered, I think you're going to get a very nice camera and I'm looking forward to seeing how it will be put to good use!

Cheers,

Jon

timg
7th March 2012, 04:42 PM
Finally, focussing - I have to say the EM-5 really impressed here. Definitely faster than my Panasonic, especially when using the ZD14-54ii - Noticeably faster than using that lens on the Panasonic.

How would you compare the focussing speed of the 14-54ii on the EM5 vs. the E1?

JonSchick
7th March 2012, 07:00 PM
I'd say the E-1 is a little faster, but not massively so. And I didn't get to try the EM-5 outdoors, so it was focuing in fairly average indoor light.

Cheers,

Jon

stryker
7th March 2012, 07:33 PM
Just got back myself from a nice relaxed day at Focus. Had the OM-D in my hands, nice demo from the guy from Olympus. Nice to feel a proper metal bodied camera again but came away lusting after the 17mm F2 lens and am interested to see how the Sigma lenses match up as the Sigma team were very entusiastic about them and at a rrp of about 169.00 should be interesting.

Greytop
7th March 2012, 09:50 PM
Jon, how does the 14-54 MkII balance with the E-M5? Does it look out of place, too large? I'm thinking with the optional grip fitted.
Thanks for your observations by the way, it's always useful to hear first hand feedback.

JonSchick
7th March 2012, 10:19 PM
Hi Huw - the camera was fine with the ZD lens fitted, helped by the fact that although the lens is a bit bulky, it is actually quite lightweight. If it was me, unless I wanted the 12-50 for video purposes, I'd go body only... I think the 14-54 is a much nicer lens better suited for my purposes, although some people would really miss the extra wide angle.

As you mentioned, definitely better with the grip too (I suspect many users will end up leaving the horizontal grip on their EM-5s all the time as the ergonomics are so much better than when you leave it off).

Cheers,

Jon

PS - also went to look at the new Fuji and ended up being underwhelmed.... it's huge! Leica manage to get a FF sensor in a body that can't be any bigger.

Grumpy Hec
7th March 2012, 10:47 PM
Back home from Focus too. Echo much of what Jon says. Much better with grip, too small for me without.

Very impressed with evf and overall feel apart from size which is what I expected. Lens looks good from what I could see and the range from Olympus and others is clearly going to expand.

If finances would allow I would buy with grip and shift to m43 immediately . Sadly not at the moment.:(.

l looked at Canikon and the sheer size and weight after the EM5 was horrible.:(

The pro who was doing the demo is switching. That says a lot to me.

Jon, sorry I missed you. I failed to note your number so couldn't call . I suspect we were rubbing shoulders on the stand!

Good to chat with Ian as well for the first time.

Hec

Greytop
7th March 2012, 11:01 PM
Hi Huw - the camera was fine with the ZD lens fitted, helped by the fact that although the lens is a bit bulky, it is actually quite lightweight. If it was me, unless I wanted the 12-50 for video purposes, I'd go body only... I think the 14-54 is a much nicer lens better suited for my purposes, although some people would really miss the extra wide angle.

As you mentioned, definitely better with the grip too (I suspect many users will end up leaving the horizontal grip on their EM-5s all the time as the ergonomics are so much better than when you leave it off).

Cheers,

Jon

PS - also went to look at the new Fuji and ended up being underwhelmed.... it's huge! Leica manage to get a FF sensor in a body that can't be any bigger.

Thanks again Jon, good to hear it's a nice match with the 14-54 MKII. I had decided that would be my walkabout set-up. When I pre-ordered I left the 12-50 off as the samples I've seen we OK but not in the HG league. Nice to hear you're thinking along the same lines.
I think I will add the 12 and 45 at some point too.

The Fuji looks a nice camera but looking at the 'Fuji guys' previews it did come across as quite hefty, still kudos to Fuji I've always been quite partial to their kit.

Phill D
8th March 2012, 06:43 AM
For me the thing that made the EM5's handing was the little thumb rest on the rhs. That little design just seemed so right and made the whole camera feel secure in my hands. Obviously it's even better with the two part grip added but I did on occasion feel that the vertical grip part was cramping my fingers a bit when using it horrizontally.

drmarkf
8th March 2012, 09:03 AM
Many thanks indeed for the impressions - very helpful.

Particularly interesting comments on the 12-50/12-54II. I have pre-ordered body only, but had been vacillating over adding the 12-50.

Your comments, plus at least one less-than-stellar review ( http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-12-50mm-f-3-5-6-3-ez-lens-review-18684 ) make me think my original decision is correct for me.

I'll be better off waiting to try the forthcoming fast Panny zooms. Should I need weather proofing I could go with the new adapter plus a 12-54 (of which there are some very nice s/h examples around).

StephenL
8th March 2012, 09:16 AM
Yes, thanks for these valuable comments.

I initially pre-ordered body-only as I'm mainly into primes these days, plus I have a Panny 14-45. But I changed it to include the 12-50, because you never know when you might need a weatherproof lens, and the price difference for the whole isn't bad.

I really don't want to use the larger regular 4/3 lenses, brilliant though they are, as for me the ethos of m4/3 is the small size of the whole package, lenses included.

drmarkf
8th March 2012, 09:42 AM
Yes, I agree with that, but the only times I really would find water-resistance useful is for motorsport event photography, and I don't tend to do that while in lightweight travel mode. I occasionally do landscape in the wet, but it's from a tripod usually, and easier to improvise with plastic bags & sheets, towels etc.

BTW I forgot to ask whether anyone managed to try one of the generic Arca-Swiss QR plates, and whether it locked securely to the body and whether it gave access to the battery/card?

edmund473
8th March 2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the interesting information on the OM-5 I would have loved to been able to have gone myself. my thanks to John Phill D Hec Huw Stryker.
I have pre ordered with the 12-50mm lens regards John.

Phill D
8th March 2012, 08:16 PM
Oh pressure now - no not really, I'm sure you'll love it. The offer means the lens is only 150 not to mention the other freebies. Didn't have the nerve to spend that kind of money myself though, not sure I wont regret that.

edmund473
9th March 2012, 08:54 AM
Hello Phill
Thanks for your reply I have been waiting to see what Olympus will improve on and do believe that they have produced a excellent camera it is a lot of of cash only hope that I can do it justice.regards John.

pepper
9th March 2012, 11:33 AM
Did I see mention that Sigma are bringing out micro 4/3 lenses?

If I did has anyone got any information or know any links please?

David M
9th March 2012, 11:50 AM

Ian posted some info/links on 4/3 user a few days ago. If I recall they were for a 19mm f/2.8 and a 30mm f/2.8 so I quickly lost interest.

pepper
9th March 2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks David, I'll take a harder look around, were the links to his DPnow site by any chance?

David M
9th March 2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks David, I'll take a harder look around, were the links to his DPnow site by any chance?

Found the thread, the links were to a Sigma site;

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10693

pepper
9th March 2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks again! You can have two brownie points for your exemplary efforts! :)

Ian
9th March 2012, 12:45 PM

Yes - 30mm f/2.8 and 19mm f/2.8 - quite inexpensive at 169. They have linear AF motors and should focus fast. They aren't pancakes as this would have compromised optical quality.

I'm not that sure if these focal lengths will be particularly popular - 19mm is equivalent to 38mm and so might be handy as a walk about lens. 30mm is not really long enough for portraits, and a bit long for a 'standard' lens. The same optics are being packaged for the Sony NEX range and will be a bit more attractive as the larger sensor reduces the cropping factor. But if these lenses have great optical performance that could make difference for MFT users.

Ian

StephenL
9th March 2012, 01:11 PM
Yes - 30mm f/2.8 and 19mm f/2.8 - quite inexpensive at 169.
Ian

That's a suspiciously low price to be of decent quality - or is that just me being cynical? :rolleyes:

pepper
9th March 2012, 01:53 PM
The 19mm interests me, I like something around that sort of focal length for a general walk about lens, you're right about the 30mm though it's neither here or there is it?

f2.8 should be fine for most days, it's a shame it isn't a bigger aperture really though!