PDA

View Full Version : Another Opportunity?

Zuiko
7th March 2012, 02:17 PM
Followers of the thread covering my recent exhibition in Dunmow will know that it was quite successful overall but hardly set the world alight in terms of actual income generated. Still, I banked a cheque for 275 today and in these troubled times that was most welcome.

Also, I got home to find this message on my website:-

Hi John,

I own a new art gallery in Coggeshall and was wondering if you would like an exhibition of your work here at some point during the summer? The gallery does work on a commission of 40% on work sold. If you are interested please do let me know. Your photography is outstanding.

Kind regards

Denise

Looks like a nice gallery http://www.thirteenbrushes.com/

I remember this lady's mother visiting my exhibition and taking one of my business cards as she thought her daughter might be interested. So, apart from the money, spin-offs so far from my exhibition are 8 pictures already on display at another gallery in Dunmow and now the offer of another exhibition. I'm not going to get rich overnight but I guess it's all part of the long, hard slog of getting my work out there and becoming known.

StephenL
7th March 2012, 02:45 PM
Good on you! Nice to see outsiders respect your work as much as we do.

Chevvyf1
7th March 2012, 04:02 PM
*chr Good for YOU *chr Starting any business is a long arduous task ... NOW your time investments are paying off and its darn good to hear :D:D:D

Ian Grego
7th March 2012, 04:33 PM
John,

Good news, keep plugging away.

Ian

rsh1960
7th March 2012, 04:40 PM
Good Luck John,

As they say, from little acorns mighty oaks grow.

Best of luck.

Graham_of_Rainham
7th March 2012, 05:18 PM
Pick whichever is your favorite "Inspirational Anecdote/Quote" - I tend to favor Monty Python - "Always look on the bright side of life" and go with it...

*chr

sponner
7th March 2012, 06:48 PM
Sounds like a plan, I'm guessing your set up costs will be a lot less this time.

Zuiko
7th March 2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks Guys,

Depending on what subjects they want and how many pictures, hopefully I can do most from stock so the investment has already been made. :)

gregles
7th March 2012, 07:26 PM
Nice one John*chr

OlyPaul
7th March 2012, 07:29 PM
Good one John, nothing to lose and everything to win is the way to look at it.:)

Ann1e
7th March 2012, 07:33 PM
Great news - you must be so pleased to get a positive result when often, in these situations, a comment is made to raise your hopes but nothing more is heard. Good luck with this new venture, John.

Regards,
Ann1e

Phill D
7th March 2012, 08:08 PM
That's excellent news John. Let's hope there are many more spin offs from your last exhibition.

IainMacD
7th March 2012, 08:21 PM
Fantastic news John, it'll give you something to focus on and will hopefully lead to further opportunities.

DerekC
7th March 2012, 09:46 PM
Great news John, a very postive outcome. Good Luck

Graptolite
7th March 2012, 09:58 PM
http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-541.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

MissusDoubtfire
7th March 2012, 10:04 PM
Good stuff John and the best of luck! Kevin

cinders
7th March 2012, 11:25 PM
Great to hear this!

Zuiko
7th March 2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement, it's nice to have a glimmer of good news just for a change. :)

Crippledsandwich
7th March 2012, 11:52 PM
That's brilliant news John, I studied sculpture while at art school and to get an exhibition was great, but to get one of the back of another is just plain outstanding. Good luck mate

crimbo
8th March 2012, 07:45 AM
nice one John... being asked to put on an exhibition rather than having to tout about for a place to do so is great

stoates
8th March 2012, 09:43 AM
Good news indeed John. Hope this is the start of the 'snowball effect'. :)

Zuiko
8th March 2012, 01:24 PM
Maybe things are looking up for me at last. I recently sent a speculative letter to the National Trust asking if they had any job vacancies comming up at Hatfield Forest during the summer. I've had a reply to say they do in fact have a vacancy in the admissions kiosk, just for 4 hours a day on Saturdays and Sundays. I have an interview booked for next Wednesday and hopefully there won't be too many other applicants as the job wasn't advertized! The hours aren't really enough for what I need but would relieve the pressure on me to sell my car and camera equipment. Also, it would leave the weekdays free for other jobs that might come up. Because it's based at the main entrance and at weekends, I'm hoping this position might be permanent rather than seasonal but anything would help at the moment.

Another advantage is it would save me worrying about the cost of petrol to visit my favourite local location; as I would already be there for work I could simply take photographs either before or after my shift! But let's not count my chickens, roll on next Wednesday! :)

Chevvyf1
8th March 2012, 01:33 PM
great *chr fingers crossed for Weds *chr

Zuiko
8th March 2012, 01:55 PM
All the very best of luck for next Wednesday John. If you are sucessful and i'm sure you will be, don't forget it will get your feet under the table as it were, and open the door to any further job opportunities which arise on the same site. *chr

John

Thanks John, that's what I'm hoping! ;)

Bikie John
8th March 2012, 02:14 PM
Glad to hear the good news, John. I'll make a note in the diary to beam lots of positive vibes on Wednesday.

John

Zuiko
8th March 2012, 05:06 PM
You'll never believe this, I've just taken a 'phone call from another gallery, this time based in Finchingfield, asking if I would like to display four of my pictures. It should be a good advert for my work because the gallery is also a tea room and Finchingfield is very popular with tourists in the summer. I have Peter, the Dunmow Gallery manager to thank for this; he recommended my work. :)

I will have to start a register of where my pictures are, or at this rate I'll start to lose track! :D

crimbo
8th March 2012, 06:00 PM
He He...just like buses...go for it!

Graham_of_Rainham
8th March 2012, 06:13 PM
<snip>I will have to start a register of where my pictures are, or at this rate I'll start to lose track! :D

You may even need to print some more :cool:

StephenL
8th March 2012, 06:15 PM
Good news again, John. Keeping everything crossed for you!

LMGruchy
8th March 2012, 06:26 PM
Great news.

Janet
8th March 2012, 06:56 PM
This thread is simply brilliant!

Best of luck with it all...I wish you well.

Janet x

cliff
8th March 2012, 06:57 PM
That's great news John, and best of luck for Wednesday *chr

IainMacD
8th March 2012, 07:48 PM
Nice one John - looks like you're on a roll! *chr
Good luck with all this activity especially the job interview.

Phill D
8th March 2012, 08:05 PM
Yes good luck for Wednesday from me as well. And two galleries now, next step viral as they say these days.

Zuiko
8th March 2012, 08:27 PM
You may even need to print some more :cool:

As it happens I've just had a few replacements printed and took them to my local framer today. I'm starting to think I should have done more, but I'm currently very restricted when it comes to capital outlay.

Zuiko
8th March 2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all your good wishes. It seems a very long, dark tunnel sometimes but there may just be a glimmer of light in the far distance. :)

Bill Gordon
8th March 2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all your good wishes. It seems a very long, dark tunnel sometimes but there may just be a glimmer of light in the far distance. :)

Keep smiling John while you are on a roll and life will seem much brighter!!

Zuiko
8th March 2012, 09:06 PM
Keep smiling John while you are on a roll and life will seem much brighter!!

Ah, Bill, that's a coincidence - I've just emailed you! :)

PeterBirder
8th March 2012, 09:42 PM
Hi John
Missed this thread earlier. Great that things are moving positively with galleries, sounds really promising.

Good luck for Wednesday.

Fingers crossed.*chr

shirley
9th March 2012, 06:02 PM
Hi John,
I have only just spotted this thread and have just spent an excellent few minutes reading through all your news. I am so delighted for you. Keeping everything crossed for next Wednesday and I hope that all the contacts bring in lots of sales and maybe some commissions!
Shirley

sponner
9th March 2012, 06:27 PM
John,

I have no view on the long term potential of these ventures from a financial perspective.

I do know I would be HUGELY chuffed if my work was good enough to be invited into a gallery and insanely happy if someone were to buy a framed print to hang on their wall, the ultimate vote of confidence.

Zuiko
10th March 2012, 12:33 AM
John,

I have no view on the long term potential of these ventures from a financial perspective.

I do know I would be HUGELY chuffed if my work was good enough to be invited into a gallery and insanely happy if someone were to buy a framed print to hang on their wall, the ultimate vote of confidence.

Yes, the reward is satisfaction and encouragement rather than finacial. Galleries charge an average of 30% commission and taking into account printing and framing costs I make about 27 on a 16x12. To put this into perspective, I had a repair bill on my car today for 445 - I need to sell about 16 pictures to cover that! If I get the part-time job at Hatfield Forest it will take about 11 weeks pay (after tax has been deducted) to cover that bill! The little bit of optimism I was starting to feel yesterday has been beaten out of me again.

Eventually tax might be an issue on my picture sales, but at the moment my accounts sadly show a significant surplus of expenditure over income. So my main aim at the moment is to sell enough pictures to break even; if I ever achieve that it won't really be worth continuing.

Nick Temple-Fry
10th March 2012, 01:09 AM
Yes, the reward is satisfaction and encouragement rather than finacial. Galleries charge an average of 30% commission and taking into account printing and framing costs I make about 27 on a 16x12. To put this into perspective, I had a repair bill on my car today for 445 - I need to sell about 16 pictures to cover that! If I get the part-time job at Hatfield Forest it will take about 11 weeks pay (after tax has been deducted) to cover that bill! The little bit of optimism I was starting to feel yesterday has been beaten out of me again.

Eventually tax might be an issue on my picture sales, but at the moment my accounts sadly show a significant surplus of expenditure over income. So my main aim at the moment is to sell enough pictures to break even; if I ever achieve that it won't really be worth continuing.

I've never quite understood the economics/business model of the little galleries. OK they are not having to pay for stock, but they still have to redeem both the fixed costs (premises/lighting) and give the owner an income. Given the fact they often seem to be empty of customers.....

But you sold pictures at an exhibition, that tells people that there is a market for your images, perhaps there are other local galleries which knowing you have sold will be interested. If you are in 5 galleries rather than 1 maybe it makes more sense.

Nick

Zuiko
10th March 2012, 02:06 AM
I've never quite understood the economics/business model of the little galleries. OK they are not having to pay for stock, but they still have to redeem both the fixed costs (premises/lighting) and give the owner an income. Given the fact they often seem to be empty of customers.....

But you sold pictures at an exhibition, that tells people that there is a market for your images, perhaps there are other local galleries which knowing you have sold will be interested. If you are in 5 galleries rather than 1 maybe it makes more sense.

Nick

I agree, Nick. One of the galleries that have invited me is also a tea shop, which makes more sense. The gallery is Dunmow is quite unique in that it is managed by a retired teacher who is also a very keen artist, staffed by a rota of volunteers, and the rooms are made available by a benevolent solicitor, based in the same building, who also has an interest in the arts. Hence overheads are remarkably low!

maccabeej
10th March 2012, 12:10 PM
Hi John
I have missed all this as I have been away. It all sounds like great news. I will be keeping everything crossed for you especially next week.
Jim

Zuiko
11th March 2012, 01:04 AM
It's all a bit of a rollercoaster at the moment. After yesterday's shock repair bill on the car, today I get news from the new gallery in Dunmow (where I now have 8 pictures on display) that a potential customer is interested in my work and asked if he could have a discount if he bought two. Unfortunately I was out when the gallery phoned while he was still there, but he has said he will return next week and hopefully he will find my offer to knock 10 off each one acceptable.

Tomorrow I'm delivering 4 pictures to the gallery at Finchingfield, as it's also a tea shop I'm hoping I'll get a free cuppa!

Graham_of_Rainham
11th March 2012, 01:11 AM
<snip> I'm hoping I'll get a free cuppa!

Good luck with that too... Pity there's no such thing as a free lunch ;)

Zuiko
11th March 2012, 01:13 AM
... Pity there's no such thing as a free lunch ;)

Certainly not in my world! :(

StephenL
11th March 2012, 07:35 AM
For galleries to be inviting you to exhibit must be positive; as has been stated they have overheads, and only want stock which they can sell and make money on.