PDA

View Full Version : E5 got stuck in USB mode

jdal
5th March 2012, 01:07 PM
I was out on the moors today in PERFECT weather, took 3 shots and then changed lens. When I powered the camera up it came up in USB mode and nothing I could do would shift it. I changed lenses, took the battery out, took the CF and SD cards out, put in a USB lead (nothing on the end of course), pressed lots of buttons and nothing worked. Effectively a dead camera. I've since got home, put the a connected USB lead in and it's working again.

Aside from having lost the photo opportunity, this is a disaster. I'm off to uninhabited Mingulay for a week in June and had this have happened then, I'd have had a dead camera :eek:. I now can't trust the thing, but it's working again so I can't really I send it off to Oly.

Anyone else seen this behaviour? I'm assuming it was a firmware glitch.

Zuiko
5th March 2012, 01:41 PM
I was out on the moors today in PERFECT weather, took 3 shots and then changed lens. When I powered the camera up it came up in USB mode and nothing I could do would shift it. I changed lenses, took the battery out, took the CF and SD cards out, put in a USB lead (nothing on the end of course), pressed lots of buttons and nothing worked. Effectively a dead camera. I've since got home, put the a connected USB lead in and it's working again.

Aside from having lost the photo opportunity, this is a disaster. I'm off to uninhabited Mingulay for a week in June and had this have happened then, I'd have had a dead camera :eek:. I now can't trust the thing, but it's working again so I can't really I send it off to Oly.

Anyone else seen this behaviour? I'm assuming it was a firmware glitch.

That puts you in a really difficult situation, John. How light will you be travelling to Mingulay? Will you be able to take a second body for back up and/or a laptop so you have something to connect with the camera if it happens again?

jdal
5th March 2012, 02:09 PM
Cheers John. We basically have to carry everything in one go. I have to take climbing gear (25l sack full), guitar, full set of photo gear, food, 2 tents, spare clothes, trowel, wine, gas etc etc. Looks like but I'm going to have to take the E1 as backup as well :eek:, I'll wrap it up in clingfilm. I was going to take just a compact, because my main worry was running out of battery power, but maybe the E1 would be a better bet, I could switch to it if I was getting through the batteries too fast.

I was going to make my choice of photo gear a differnt thread in a month or so.

Zuiko
5th March 2012, 03:57 PM
That's quite a load, but I'm glad you mentioned the trowel. I used to get the p**s taken out of me by my mates because I carried a trowel but I always thought it best to make sure it was properly buried! :o

OlyPaul
5th March 2012, 04:56 PM
Sounds strange, can I presume you tried going into the menu and changing the usb mode from auto or wherever it was back to storage ?

jdal
5th March 2012, 05:11 PM
Couldn't get into the menu. I've changed it to storage now though, just in case, thanks for the tip.

Jim Ford
5th March 2012, 05:36 PM
I have to take climbing gear (25l sack full), guitar, full set of photo gear, food, 2 tents, spare clothes, trowel, wine, gas etc etc.

You won't get all that gear in a 25L rucksack!

Jim

Chevvyf1
5th March 2012, 06:02 PM
Sounds strange, can I presume you tried going into the menu and changing the usb mode from auto or wherever it was back to storage ?

Thanks Paul ... and John for this *chr

jdal
5th March 2012, 06:05 PM
25l is just the climbing gear :eek:

The normal thing seems to be a giant sack on ones back with tents strapped to it, another sack on ones front, towing a giant holdall with trolley wheels and one luxury item in the one free hand. There is a copy of The Bible and The Complete Works of William Shakespeare on the island already. ;)

I'm actually planning to get my daughter to take her crew-cab Mitsibushi L200 on to Barra via the CalMac ferry and offer to take a bag each for everyone (about 20 going). But it's got to fit onto the fishing boat and it has to be carried from the jetty for a few hundred yards across rough terrain.

jdal
5th March 2012, 07:49 PM
It's started failing again :( Off to Olympus I'm afraid.

Zuiko
5th March 2012, 07:58 PM
It's started failing again :( Off to Olympus I'm afraid.

Better to get it sorted now while there is still time. Very annoying though.

Barr1e
5th March 2012, 08:58 PM
Hi John -

Sorry you have problems with the camera. I would be pleased to learn which part/s were faulty on its return from Olympus.

Regards. Barr1e

jdal
5th March 2012, 09:28 PM
All wrapped up in it's box with all necessary documentation. I've asked them to have a look at the sensor noise as well, I'm sure it's worse than my E3 was. It's been bugging me for a while, just I couldn't bring myself to go through the hassle of sending it in.

Chevvyf1
5th March 2012, 09:42 PM
All wrapped up in it's box with all necessary documentation. I've asked them to have a look at the sensor noise as well, I'm sure it's worse than my E3 was. It's been bugging me for a while, just I couldn't bring myself to go through the hassle of sending it in.

John r u sending to Oly ? or Oly warrenty repairs i n scotland ?

jdal
13th March 2012, 04:36 PM
Well I got the camera delivered back today. It was put into the post office in Morpeth on 6th and delivered back to my door on 13th. And it appears to work. Here's a *chr to Olympus service.

They replaced the main board.

As well as the stuck in USB thing, I had a bit of a whinge about the noise, just in case there was a dodgy sensor connection or something. The noise seemed no better, maybe worse, than the E3 - but of course this could be purely my imagination, or Lightroom doing E3 RAW better. Well, there was a second repair on their form - Fault: Lens, Reason: Autofocus, Action: Adjusted. :confused: I never sent them a lens:confused::confused:. Maybe during testing the mainboard they discovered a problem with the AF system.

So out tomorrow to try it all out.

Chevvyf1
13th March 2012, 04:38 PM
John, how much did they charge you ? :D

jdal
13th March 2012, 04:57 PM
Au contraire mate, they paid me for that last post :D:D

Chevvyf1
13th March 2012, 05:12 PM
Au contraire mate, they paid me for that last post :D:D

:eek: :eek: :eek: really *chr result