PDA

View Full Version : East Midlands Meet???

Homer Simpson
2nd March 2012, 06:58 PM
Hey folks

We had a meet last spring.
I take all the credit for the glorious sunny day we chose:cool:
:D

Are we going to do it again?
Where & When & Who?

Homer Simpson
27th April 2012, 01:31 PM
Bit of a bump!

I just need a little encouragement to sort something, if no one else wants to do it.

I think we need somewhere that's not weather dependant given the current drought conditions.

Phill D
27th April 2012, 09:11 PM
Count me in as a definite possible maybe, depending on what date is chosen. No seriously I'd love to join in if I can.

George Dorn
27th April 2012, 10:29 PM
Me too.

Are people likely to travel? What might appear to be old hat to locals could well be interesting to visitors; I'm thinking of, say, Bradgate Park, Calke Abbey, Newark perhaps?

There should be some tea and cake at some point. Definitely.

sponner
28th April 2012, 01:15 AM
I could be tempted, It's not too far down the A50 to you rneck of the woods ;)

Phill D
28th April 2012, 05:57 AM
I'd wondered about Caulk Abbey it would have something no matter what the weather, I also wondered about Snibstone Discovery Park. It's got a really good interactive industrial museum and also a park and nature reserve that I wasn't aware of so again plenty to go at rain or shine. I've not been to either for some time so I don't mind. Maybe we could even try to do both in a day as they are pretty close.

theMusicMan
28th April 2012, 08:04 AM
Me too.

Are people likely to travel? What might appear to be old hat to locals could well be interesting to visitors; I'm thinking of, say, Bradgate Park, Calke Abbey, Newark perhaps?

There should be some tea and cake at some point. Definitely.
Hi George

Yes, people are inclined to travel to these meets. I have organised several here in South Wales, and each time they have been attended by people from all over. On one meet up, John P (Zuiko) was fantastic, traveling from the deepest darkest parts of the South East England to come all the way to South East Wales for what turned out to be a fantastic meet up.

Come to think of it... I must orgainse another one.

I might be able to attend one in the East Mids... I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what transpires re dates, location and subjects etc.

Pensionista
28th April 2012, 08:45 AM
I'd be interested if dates work out. Snibstone Discovery Park sounds good. Just a thought, Derbyshire has Chatsworth House and they even encourage photography inside the house (very enlightened under new Duke of Devonshire. They aren't NT, so everyone pays). There's a large park area, gardens, water cascade and fountain. Just a thought.

Homer Simpson
28th April 2012, 05:53 PM
Calke is a bit weather dependent I think also there are entrance fees *ohwell

Last year we met at Quorn Station and did not even pay for parking. I think I spent 1 on a cup of coffee. It was nicely informal - I think most people stayed about 2 hours

Last year I suggested a meet but until I set time, date & venue I got no response.
As it turned out I think there were 10 of us - some folks travelled 2 hours to get here.

Snibston looks interesting.
Entrance is sort of free depending which bits you want to access
I'll look to see if there is a Saturday when there are no events on.

Obviously if anyone else wants to organise something entirely different I'm game.