PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the 70-300mm??

Malkovich
26th May 2008, 10:23 AM
I've gotten myself in the bad books this week by owning up to buying the:

Zuiko 50mm F2 Macro lens
+
Zuiko 70-300mm lens.

Both ordered this week *chr

Having read the posts with regards the 50mm it sounds like a great lens, but what is the panels verdict on the 70-300mm lens? :confused:

cheers

The new kid on the block - Malkovich

Scapula Memory
26th May 2008, 10:53 AM
Hi,

If you look around the gallery you will find some fantastic examples of what this lens can do. I do not have one myself yet but it is on the list. Some people though have reported issues with theirs so worth checking carefully.

Good luck

theMusicMan
26th May 2008, 12:23 PM
Hey Malkovich

Have to say that the Oly 70-300mm is a superb lens - I love mine. Have a look at each of the shots in this link... (http://www.reflectingme.com/p28339871/), all of them were taken with the 70-300mm, plus EC14. The lens is an absolute joy!

Malkovich
26th May 2008, 02:24 PM
Well from the look of the photo's taken on it, the grief I got for ordering that and the 50mm macro is gonna be worth it :)

So yeah we're moving house next month and need to buy a new fridge freezer and Suite, but hey i'll be able to take great pictures of them with my new lenses :D *chr

Malkovich

Barr1e
26th May 2008, 05:01 PM
Enjoy the 70-300. Anne and I do.

Regards. Barr1e

StephenL
26th May 2008, 05:27 PM
I found it to be a quite capable lens - in decent light. It can sometimes struggle to focus in dimmer conditions, and look a little soft at 300mm - again in dull light. But it's great value for money - I only sold mine to part-fund the 50-200 because I was in a position to do so, otherwise I'd still be a happy user.

DerekC
26th May 2008, 06:26 PM
The 70-300 is a good value for money lens.
But yes I agree it can struggle to focus when the light is dim. It can sometimes go to both extremes of its range trying to focus and does hunt.
It depends on what you are looking to capture with it.
I have used mine for motorsport and have had some very good shots with it. But it is too slow to focus to try and capture more than one frame.
On the whole I'm pleased with my 70-300 but I'm looking to buy next a 50-200 SWD. I have tried one and the focus speed made such a difference.

Derek C

j.baker
26th May 2008, 07:15 PM
I have the 50-200swd and the 70-300mm.

I do not use the 70-300mm anymore (The wife does sometimes use it)

Because the front rotates, you cannot use a polariser. It is also not weather sealed. It is not a bad lens, but it does tend to focus hunt in lowish light, and you need to step it down.

Ellie
26th May 2008, 10:53 PM
I've got the 70-300 and it's a delight.

I haven't any experience of the more expensive lenses, so have nothing to compare it with, but it's enabled me to get some lovely pictures.

I've also got a circular polariser filter, haven't used it with this lens yet, but I can't see it'll be a problem, it works fine with the other 'kit' lenses.

StephenL
27th May 2008, 06:51 AM
Just be sure to adjust the pola filter AFTER you've focussed, otherwise the filter will rotate a little and be out of your ideal position.:)

I've got the 70-300 and it's a delight.

I've also got a circular polariser filter, haven't used it with this lens yet, but I can't see it'll be a problem, it works fine with the other 'kit' lenses.

geirsan
23rd July 2008, 03:51 PM
I've got the 50-200, version 1, but wish for the 100mm extra for wildlife and extreme tele. Is the 50-200 technically a much better lens than the 70-300?
What is my best choice to get the extra range I'm looking for without breaking the bank?

DerekC
23rd July 2008, 04:12 PM
I have not used the 1st version of the 50-200 only the swd version and found it a lot fast to focus than the 70-300. The 70-300 is good value for money but the the 50-200 has a faster max apeture and faster focussing. If I had the 50-200 I would add a teleconverter, not buy the 70-300.

Derek C

geirsan
23rd July 2008, 08:33 PM
But what about image quality wise shooting a plain image on a plain day?

Ian
23rd July 2008, 08:39 PM
But what about image quality wise shooting a plain image on a plain day?

The 70-300 is good wide open, but at the long end it's down to f/5.6, and the 50-200 is just as sharp at 200 but at f/3.5. I used a 50-200 last week with the EC-14 converter and it was good, but bigger and bulkier than the 70-300. The 50-200 with that converter makes it a 70-280 f/4.0-5.0.

Ian

geirsan
23rd July 2008, 10:08 PM
But do you find other things ligth contrast, sharpnes etc. of the same quality, or is there a difference?

PeterD
24th July 2008, 06:04 PM
The problem with the 70-300 is that the focussing is far too slow at the long end on anything but a very bright day. I like to take quick reaction shots but find the 70-300 to be worse than useless. great if you have time to focus on a subject that remains static or is undisturbed but not otherwise. It also has a tendancy to hunt which further increases the time to focus and also I have frequently found it will attempt to lock whilst totally out of focus, usually at one end of the focus range.

On balance though, it is cheap and I guess you get what you pay for. From what I have heard on this forum, the 50-200mm lens is much better. I think that the SWD version would be a better proposition but even the old version would be better. The good side is that the older version 50-200 must be selling at good prices secondhand now that it has been superceded.

I am now using the 70-300 with the Achromatic Macro Lens for Macro shoots. It seems to work better in this role as I am tending to use it in the 80-150mm range. I shall be selling the lens when I can purchase a good Macro but for now, it is serving a purpose.

Peter

blu-by-u
25th July 2008, 01:01 AM
I agree with PeterD. it's slow on the long end and static subject except on really bright days. But it sure beats the 135-400 on weight, size and price.

PeterD
25th July 2008, 02:16 AM
I agree with PeterD. it's slow on the long end and static subject except on really bright days. But it sure beats the 135-400 on weight, size and price.

Hi Blu

Yes it also beats the Bigma in all of those categories but the Bigma knocks the spots off it on performance. Despite the price and weight, I would never replace the Bigma unless I could afford a fixed 500mm len;). Not that that is likely:(

Peter

blu-by-u
25th July 2008, 04:34 AM
BigMa is a BIGMA..how to compare!!! :eek: That 77mm glass cannot compare to that puny 58mm. :D But I can carry 1 standard 14-XX and that 70-300 in a Slingshot 200 and still have space to spare while I cannot do that with a BigMa. And my puny el cheapo tripos works fine..:D No offence, Just joking

I tried that BigMa and now kicking myself for not buying that. Just a question does that BigMa stutter when it almost on focus?

PeterD
25th July 2008, 05:09 AM
BigMa is a BIGMA..how to compare!!! :eek: That 77mm glass cannot compare to that puny 58mm. :D But I can carry 1 standard 14-XX and that 70-300 in a Slingshot 200 and still have space to spare while I cannot do that with a BigMa. And my puny el cheapo tripos works fine..:D No offence, Just joking

I tried that BigMa and now kicking myself for not buying that. Just a question does that BigMa stutter when it almost on focus?

Blu,

I have not noticed any 'stutter'. I have the feeling it locks on quite well and is positive.

Peter

StephenL
25th July 2008, 06:55 AM
When I had one on my Canon 5D it stuttered like mad, and shook on the camera body due to poor tolerances. It did the same on other Canon bodies, not just mine. An example of Sigmas QC?

Just a question does that BigMa stutter when it almost on focus?

blu-by-u
25th July 2008, 07:20 AM
Here is what happen. I was trying close focusing and then I pointed it to the Sepang F1 track about 80feet away..the focus would zoom to focus but on nearing the correct focus, it feels like it slammed on the the brakes with the ABS kicking in..stutter stutter then spot on. :eek:

I was wondering if that was the normal for SWD lenses (Wave Drive) as I heard that some 12-60 users also experience the same stutter.

BTW, I do not have that 12-60 nor the 50-500..my only Wave Drive lens that I own is the 14-150 and I have not experience any on it.

Oh dear..way off track..is there a thread on this and if Admin or Mod, please do some surgery.