PDA

View Full Version : Katie

Graham_of_Rainham
25th May 2008, 09:18 PM
Constructive Comments (or otherwise if you feel so inclined) Please :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/KC.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5521)

Graham

Andrew Riddell
25th May 2008, 11:43 PM
OK Graham, it seems I'm first one in, so here I go with both feet! For starters, I'm not a portrait shooter (as people who've met me will realise; I prefer buildings and things that don't move!). The soft style doesn't work for me, although I accept that it does for other people. Although the face is great, I don't like the hair fading out into the background. As I said, just my opinion!

Best wishes,

Andrew

OlyPaul
26th May 2008, 09:37 AM
Ok Graham lets start with the positive things about this image.

The pose is good the composition is good and the model is relaxed with a good inviting expression, all the hardest parts of portraiture you have exelled at.t-up

Now the brickbats. *devil

The technical and post processing leaves a lot to be desired (looks like diffused glow as been over used), nothing wrong with soft focus but there is to much on the eyes (this can easily be remided in PP).

The skintones in a lot of places are burnt out to paper white, now this is either again a fault of PP or pehaps the on camera flash burnt out these areas and the PP is a attempt to disquise and salvage it, I would certainly like to see the original to see what you had to work with. :)

Ian
26th May 2008, 12:00 PM
I think Paul has hit the nail on the head - with blurred eyes, there isn't any detail for the viewer to lock on to. She is also squinting slightly, which is a problem.

Ian

Ellie
27th May 2008, 01:28 PM
I don't do portraits either, so I should probably keep well away from even making a comment.

I think she's got a lovely face and I like the angle at which she's holding her hear. I think if she'd dropped her shoulder a touch, so we could see her neck, it would have been even better. But as I've just tried to do that myself, I know it's easier said than done.

I like 'high key' pictures, I don't think this is a proper 'high key', which shows my ignorance. The best ones I've seen have been where there's some sharp contrast and I wonder perhaps if her hair is too fair for this approach?

yorky
27th May 2008, 05:06 PM
Not a portrait person but I was always brought up to focus on the eye's and the rest will take care of its self. Otherwise I like the high key effect.

Graham_of_Rainham
27th May 2008, 09:07 PM
One and All,

Thanks for the comments, this is exactly what I was after and just how this area of the forum should be used. Much appreciated.

This was the result of "Playing about" with a PhotoShop Plugin from "Optik Verve Labs". I wanted to push the effects as far as I could and see what people think. I do tend to push at the limits of convention and sometimes it pays off. One such Hi-Key/Soft Focus image has done very well in competitions while another was a complete flop.

The thing that I find most interesting is the vast difference in opinion and the reaction that images get.

Thanks again guys for taking the time and effort to comment. Without this the whole forum falls down. *chr

Graham

gno
28th May 2008, 10:30 AM
I like it,
although I too think that it would be better if there was more contrast between the hair and the background.
Let's see the original before PP manipulation.

Malcolm Cousins
6th June 2008, 10:40 PM
This is a nice well balanced portrait Graham but there seems to be a lack of a full range of tones. There is also a problem with the sharpness. If this was supposed to be a soft focus image there should at least have been a point of focus ( normally the eyes ) but there does not seem to be any focus at all in this.sorry to be a little negative but the composition is excellent.:)